1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Official VAIO E Series Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Metsn, Feb 3, 2010.

1. gustav_g

gustav_g Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i recently scored a Sony Vaio SVE1512T1E with a broken screen, and i was wondering if anyone has tried to change the stock 1366x768 screen of the sve15 model to a 1920x1080 full hd one ?

The stock screen is a AUO B156XW04 with a 40pin connector.

After some research i found this AUO B156HW03 screen@
    NEW COMPATIBLE SCREEN FOR DELL B156HW03 V.0 V0 15.6
    which seems to have the same connector and same mounting holes in the frame but a higher resolution@1920x1080.

So has anyone tried this operation? its only a ~30£ price difference for a full hd screen and i might go for that if it works in my system :) i heard of some incompabilitys such as single/dual channel lvds but there seems to be a large inconsistency between computer models if they can take the upgrade or not.

2. zakoh

zakoh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    QUESTION ABOUT OVERCLOCKING

I got a 3-year old VPCEB17FX with i3-330M CPU and ATI Radeon HD5470 graphics. I have heard reports that both can be overclocked. Has anyone already played with overclocked VPCEB to see at what speeds the hardware remains stable?

Oh and by the way, what is the latest and greatest version of AMD Catalyst drivers that you can have on this laptop? I have the standard 10.3 or so version, provided from Sony's web site, but that's many years old now. I tried downloading the 12 and 13-series drivers by a direct link but both of them messed up something in my system (not graphics, but DLL related) so I reverted to the previous state.

3. zakoh

Reputations:
    Regarding the Catalyst drivers, it seems like the latest non-beta versions are 13.4 and 13.9. As I mentioned, I have had some bad luck with the 13.9. Other people also mentioned issues with the bugs in the mobility version. So I decided to try the 13.4. The file that you want is 13-4_mobility_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe.

Unfortunately, amd/ati does not provide a direct link and they no longer allow people to download the drivers from their site even with direct link. You can easily thwart that by installing a web browser extension that fakes the referrer part of http request or you can simply google the name and you can find some 3rd party sites hosting the file. If you download the file from sites other than amd, it is nice to have a fresh real-time anti-virus protection program running because who knows what could be in that file.

The installation still complained about some errors, though they were not catalyst or driver related (the suite includes a lot of utilities, some obviously of not the highest packaging quality). In the end, the 13.4 driver worked fine for me and I intend to keep it. I do recommend everyone who attempts to install a newer Catalyst suite to manually create a Windows 7 restore point so that you could always revert to the previous state if driver installation doesn't work. This has saved me headache a few times.

As for overclocking, the MSI Afterburner does not allow the overclocking of this chip, so I tried the latest version of AMD GPU clock tool. It works, but unfortunately once you set clocks with it, the underclocking feature stops working, so your GPU and memory clocks are running at full speed even at idle, which I imagine can't be good for the battery life and system longevity. In the end, I think I will probably not overclock the chip. The game that I play is Urban Terror, which is Quake 3-based. It runs fine on med to high settings at 1280x720. It also runs fine in full HD as long as there are like 10 or less players, but starts slowing down on huge multilayer servers. I personally can't even tell almost any difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080. Both look about the same. This is not the prettiest of first person shooters.

4. zakoh

Reputations:
    Got the 13-12_mobility_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe installed. Works just fine.

5. zakoh

Reputations:
    Apparently, MSI Afterburner does work well for overclocking GPU in our laptops. The issue is that by default the overclocking is disabled. I followed this guide and was able to unlock the overclocking settings:

How To: Overclock Your AMD / ATi GPU

Well, how did it go? I haven't played a lot yet, specially with the benchmarks, but there is some progress. The stock GPU Memory speed is 750MHz. I pushed it up to 950MHz until the GPUTool started reporting errors. Then backed down to 925MHz. No errors so far. The GPU Clock speed is 790MHz, and I tried it at 850MHz. No errors so far. I played a game and recorded a demo for benchmarks. As I was doing this, the GPU temperature didn't seem to go above 60C, which is the temperature I used to get under normal conditions. So the whole thing looks pretty promising so far.

6. zakoh

Reputations:
    I want to report a CPU upgrade success. My VPCEB17FX model came with i3-330m CPU originally. I am pretty happy with the CPU performance, though I play a few games that are oddly more CPU-bound than GPU-bound, even on this laptop. When I was cleaning the laptop I saw that the CPU is socketed, so it's possible to change it physically. I decided to shop for a replacement, looking for a Westmere-generation i5 or a faster i3 (like i3-390M). I found a deal on i5-480M for only $33 online. After receiving the CPU, I opened the case, cleaned the dust, installed the CPU, cleaned the heatsinks with fine sandpaper, alcohol, and q-tips, applied a small dot of thermal compound on both dies on the CPU module as well as to the ATI graphics chip. And the thing worked. I am quite happy. The temperatures stay where they used to be with the i3, about 40-45 at idle or light load, 60-65C under hard load or games. I saw in improvement from 90fps to 105fps on my game.

7. Aircooled_993

Aircooled_993 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi to all,

I have 2 questions, and because my laptop is an EF model, I quess this is the best Thread where I can post them.

1) I'm searching for a service / repair manual for my Vaio VPC EF4E1E, does anyone has it or knows where to download?

2) The laptop doesn't boot.
    When I press the start button, the three LED's in the right upper corner and the led of the battery lights shortly up,
    The harddisk is also revving up, but the cpu fan not (I have opened the back cover)
    When I keep the start button pressed, the harddisk shuts down.
    Does anybody has a clue?

Thanks from a Dutch guy.

8. Gabilitron

Gabilitron Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I own a Sony Vaio VPCEB4X8E laptop.
    I've tried to install some of the available vaio applications from my model from this link: Sony : Actualizaciones de VPCEB4X8E/BQ | Descargar actualizaciones para VPCEB4X8E BQ | VPCEB4X8EBQ
    However, when I click any of the download links, nothing is shown up. No download pop-up. Pop-ups are alowed, and I've tried it with both Chrome and Mozilla. It simply forwards to the same page (although, web address has changed to something like: Sony : Actualizaciones de VPCEB4X8E/BQ | Descargar actualizaciones para VPCEB4X8E BQ | VPCEB4X8EBQ )

What can I do to download them?
    Thanks

9. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    hi nitemare224. this is more of a Realtek driver configuration problem between the realtek audio hardware & sony laptops, like with my brother's Sony VAIO VPCEB44FX laptop with preinstalled Win7 64bit edition. no matter what version of the Realtek HD Audio driver (even the original driver for that laptop which was version 6.0.1.6098) I used, including one of the recent versions like 6.0.1.7177 from this Sony site, or even v6.0.1.7195 [google search for that specific version], the Realtek HD Audio Manager control panel app does not work.

Even some Win8 users using Realtek HD Audio on certain sony laptops aren't able to get access to the Realtek HD Audio manager program mentioned here.

So the problem is not limited to just certain versions of Windows. The problem seemed to only happen on many Sony laptop models, regardless of what Windows version was installed on those Sony laptops. If you install these Realtek HD Audio drivers on other brand name computers like ASUS, Acer, Dell, HP, Toshiba that have Realtek audio hardware, the Realtek HD Audio manager control panel program is available on those computers.

Found the old thread in the Sony Community site that mentioned about the Realtek HD Audio manager problem.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be a big deal to me since the recent Realtek audio drivers work fine on the Sony Vaio VPCEB44FX notebook computer except for that audio manager control panel program but the Dolby Home Theater V3 audio tab shows up on the Speakers Properties dialog box (hee-hee!). Just have to live with this minor annoyance.

10. epguy3

epguy3 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Realtek has recently released R2.74 of their high definition audio package (version 6.0.1.7240) on their web site (5/14/2014).
    However, during driver installation of the Realtek HD Audio driver R2.74, it crashed with a blue screen of death message (Stop error 7E) on the Vaio VPCEB44FX laptop using the following hardware ID:
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_104D4600&REV_1000
    After rebooting from the crash, the audio was lost and I had to uninstall the faulty Realtek audio driver and revert to using an older version.

The previous release (R2.73) of the official Realtek HD Audio driver (6.0.1.7083) worked okay under the VPCEB44FX notebook computer and did not crash the system.

So for those using Sony laptop EA/EB/EC series laptops with Realtek HD Audio, avoid using the official Realtek HD Audio 7240 driver from the Realtek web site until they fix the crashing problems.

11. yakkwak

yakkwak Newbie

Reputations:
    Any E series-knowledgable out there willing to reply? Need feedback please on my Vaio Fit 15E (SVT 15328CXW) with i7-4500U, 1TB storage. So far, I really love it's speed, the RapidWake feature, and feel/spacing of the keyboard that is back-lit. Am having the following issues:
    1) after inactivity, keep getting kicked off of wi-fi. This was also happening on my HP Split 13x2 hybrid laptop/detachable tablet. Both laptops are Windows 8.1. HP successfully fixed my Split, but Sony failed to do so after two resets to earlier times, and checking the system remotely for over an hour. Do NOT have this wifi problem on my Android Nexus 7 LTE (in wifi mode, of course), nor on my iPhone, or my little 10" Gateway LT2802u, so my cable co. says is probably a Windows 8.1 problem.
    2) Second issue: touchscreen occasionally becomes unresponsive and cannot open charms to shut down properly.
    Any suggestions are appreciated. Glad I found this site!

12. vtswordfish

vtswordfish Newbie

Reputations:
    I figured this would be as good a place as any to post it, I have had a Sony Vaio (sve1712bcxb) for about a year and a half now, and recently noticed that two of the case screws have rattled loose. They are the corner case screws that hold where the screen hinges, so it's getting a bit precarious with opening and closing the screen. Anyone have any idea what the screw size is for those two? I thought someone might be able to help here! Thank you! Untitled-1.jpg

13. clark12

clark12 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi i have a sony vaio E series sve11126CAW and i was looking for a disassembly guide any one have?

14. Pranalien

Pranalien Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looks like my 4 year old Sony VAIO E series graphic card is failing. Vertical lines and artifacts are filling up the display and the lappy shuts down after 15 mins. Any suggestion on what to do since Sony has discontinued the VAIO?