1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Official VAIO E Series Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Metsn, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Metsn

Metsn Maiku Hama Yokohama

Reputations:
    Hi,

just felt like it's time to make official thread for this new series. As I was a bit disappointed with the new F model, I got very excited when the EB series was announced.

FullHD on 15.5 screen and ATI HD5650 1GB in a nice body with many color possibilities? Very nice! :)

Too bad there are no information about this new series on Japanese SonyStyle. I'm curious with what kind of components it'll be possible to configure the new models in Japan. The other shops are a bit confusing. While US SonyStyle is offering just 1366x768, on UK Sonystyle you can choose version with FullHD.

[​IMG]

Now just wait for first reviews to come out to know more about the quality of the FullHD screen and the cooling system. Maybe there will be even possibility of i7 in the future models (?). Looking forward to meet this machine :D

eM.

2. nuggetbro

nuggetbro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Was only a matter of time. If it is true about the EA and EC then this thread might grow quite large...

3. Metsn

Reputations:
    I believe so. It's a pity that all first reviews and hands on are having the low resolution one with i3 and integrated graphics.

It seems like Sony wants to attract various market targets with this line. From low budget ones to gamers.

I would be curious about performance of the top model (i5/i7 + HD5650 + FullHD).

I just hope the FullHD screen will be nice and the quality of the speakers acceptable :)

4. nuggetbro

nuggetbro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Me as well. I know it might sound a little overboard, but I've been waiting 3 months to get my hands on a Sony.

I started at the SR, then grew to the CW and now I am seriously looking at the EB. I am thinking that CW is 2 heavy to carry every day and while good at games, not really a gaming machine. Instead i'm thinking EB and an S. They would be a great couple I think!

Now I have to wait till they hit the smaller stores!

5. tausif

tausif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just ordered.:D (... for my wife !)

6. Asdamine

Asdamine Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Me too. Ordered mine through the UK Sony Style site. I talked to the sales rep on the phone and I was told the laptop should arrive in 2 weeks time....so let's hope they stay on time!

7. shihouin

shihouin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    why has sony moved from an i7 to an i5. which one is more powerful?

8. tausif

Reputations:
    Yes, I'm really hoping that's the case. I need it in time for my wife's birthday in early March.

9. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The i5 is actually more power-efficient, more computing speed per watt. The i7 has the greater POTENTIAL calculating speed overall.

10. shihouin

shihouin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thanks MelodyMaster. i might get this one if it comes with a blu ray writer.

11. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since the models above and below it come with bluray writers, I am dead certain that this too will have one. :)

12. shihouin

shihouin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    yea but so far both available models on sony us dont have bluray writer. i see bluray player on the uk site. may be in future models

13. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The more important question is, how does this new model position itself vis-a-vis the F-series ?

I can think of having a 15.4" model and a 17.3" model. But a 15.4" model and a 16.4" model ? There are rumors that a new 17.3" model is also on the way.

I think Sony should take a step back, cut down on the number of models and make the few ones that they do decide to tackle, to be market-leaders in terms of premium features, content, looks and performance. Than dilute their resources by spreading it out across a bevy of confusing models that are too close together to maintain any real separation from each other.

JMHO, of course.

14. shihouin

shihouin Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i agree and maybe sony is trying to come right with the e series since the f started out badly.

15. tausif

Reputations:
    I ordered a EB series from SonyStyle UK and a BD writer was definitely an option if you specified either a 512mb or 1gb video RAM, but not if it was an Intel HD chip.

16. tausif

Reputations:
    I have a ship date of 19-26 February.

17. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually, on the contrary, I would say that the F-series launch has been very nearly spotless. One or two very minor irritants in the product, which has otherwise been squeaky clean.

There was a very low but audible whine from the machine, for which there was a quickie 5-second workaround (which in turn has been fixed from the factory in all the later releases) and otherwise absolutely no other problems. I don't think the f started out badly at all, considering the complexity of the product itself.

Of course there is CPU throttling (to conserve power) when running on battery but that just means that when doing heavy CPU intensive work like video or RAW photo editing, you have to be plugged in......this throttling is not a problem when doing things like wireless browsing or watching videos or things like that.

18. MaltaSoron

MaltaSoron Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Same here! I ordered mine yesterday on the Dutch Sonystyle website:

- Intel® CoreTM i5 430M
    - Glossy Black
    - 500 GB (5400 rpm)
    - 4 GB 1066MHz DDR3-SDRAM
    - 39,4 cm LCD, 1920x1080, camera
    - ATI MobilityRadeon HD5650 1GB

€950,-

19. Metsn

Reputations:
    Very nice configuration :) Don't forget review for us. I'm curious how the HD5650 will compare to the GT 330M in the F/Z series.

20. Tex

Tex Notebook Geek

Reputations: