* OFFICIAL UL80VT and UL50VT / VS Owner's Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by sighie, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bacon612

bacon612 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Does. HDMI out work? Can you still hook laptop up to TV with windows 10 and this driver hack?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

2. bacon612

Reputations:
    HI guys. Reply to my own post....

So i installed Windows 10 as an upgrade from my windows 7 installation. Went pretty well. To get the hybrid graphics working, I followed the instructions on pg 156 of this thread.
    HDMI out works just as it did before.

The one issue that I am running into is switching back to the intel onboard gpu from the nvidia 210m. The old driver which included the nvida "save power" app isnt allowing me to switch back as there are windows 10 services that are open that need to be closed before its able to switch gpus.

The programs that are preventing the switch are:
    shellexperiencehost.exe
    searchui.exe
    save power (which is messed up because it needs to close itself?)

Anyways. Thoughts anyone?

Attached Files:

3. mevatt

mevatt Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry, I never tested my HDMI port with Windows 10. I finally gave up and put 7 back on my machine because I couldn't figure out why my computer was freezing up.

4. bacon612

Reputations:
    Hmm. 10 Seems to be working well for me so far. Too bad you were getting crashes.

I got the graphics switching working. With the help of @eaferrari24.

I did the upgrade to windows 10 from 7 and some of the atk Asus drivers left over were causing problems for me. I deleted the old, loaded the new ones from his post and I can now use the hardware toggle (button above the ESC key) to switch between the Intel and nvidia graphics.

Meaker@Sager likes this.
  5. amlana

amlana Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi @bacon612 , could you help me please?

I did the upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 using the Media Creation Tool. I didn't unistall any drivers. @eaferrari24 's post is still a bit confusing to me.

1. When I open the Device Manager to find the graphic's card I see this:
    [​IMG]
    That is the OS native driver for GPUs, isn't it? Should I uninstall this driver anyway and then "make sure to check the box that asks if you want to delete the driver files during the uninstall"?

2. When @eaferrari24 posted "Download from
    VGA latest driver #186.88 for 64 bit which was supported NVIDIA Hybrid Power technology with Intel chipsets just unpack it, or you can use your install disc (DVD:\Software\Display\nVidia) do not install!".

Is this driver the one we download from Asus Support Website? Because there we can download the driver Version V8.15.11.8688 for Windows 7 64bit. Not 100% sure it is this driver. Could you confirm for me?

Thank you for your attention! :)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. bacon612

Reputations:
    Yes. Uninstall the driver and when asked. Delete it.

Then follow eaferarri instructions to find the correct device Id your two missing drivers and install drivers from the window 7 Asus driver folder that you've extracted somewhere.

I ran into a few situations where my screen went black. I used rdp to connect to the Asus to uninstall and reboot from another machine. Found that to be a used trick.

7. amlana

amlana Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks mate! Sadly I have Windows 10 Home and Remote Desktop doesn't work with it.

In the case I go under black screen, how do I do to take back the control of my computer?
    Anyone has any suggestions?

8. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    Since you have the igp as an option you should be ok.

9. amlana

amlana Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok I got things sorted!
    I used Safe Mode during all the process so I didn't go under black screen.

After I installed the old NVidia driver I restarted my computer and everything was fine, the graphics card was recognized and was working fine!
    However, after I uninstalled the old versions of Power4Gear and ATK Package and then installed the new versions for Windows 8, the graphics card stopped working. It said "Windows can't load the APIs". I uninstalled the new versions, installed the old versions again, restarted, and everything was working well again.

10. bmay67

bmay67 Newbie

Reputations:
    I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 and got the black boot screen (with movable cursor).

I tried many times without success to boot into Win10 Safe Mode using F8, F4, F6 and other methods. I was able to get the intermediate blue screen with the Troubleshoot option and then click restart - this is supposed to eventually get to Safe Mode. Rebooting 3 or more times did not start safe mode (as one poster said it would).

Since I was stuck, I reinstalled Win 7. In Device Manager uninstalled/deleted the display drivers and Windows replaced them with "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". One of them is active (I assume for integrated graphics) and one is not active (I assume for the NV discrete card). I have a workable screen in Win 7 (at lower resolution). In Win 7 in \Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository, I see nv_lh.inf* and igdlh.inf* directories and haven't deleted them yet. I have Windows Updates turned off.

So I'm poised to try again with a Win 10 USB media. I can stay unconnected to the internet.

Can anyone help with next steps to install Win 10 and avoid the black screen or better to avoid needing to go to Safe Mode?

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.