* OFFICIAL UL80VT and UL50VT / VS Owner's Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by sighie, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexxfender

alexxfender Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I cant get pass the black screen... no external monitor or HDMI device is detected either. There is no way i get to device manager ... I can open Cmd prompt from recovery options... tried opening the device manager from there (mmc devmgmt.msc ) but not successful .. i can open registry bui cant find any display driver entry there!
    Tried every options in Safe Mode .. each brings out the same black screen with moving cursor.. the cursor can move out of the screen from bottom and right side ...
    Befoe i update to Win 10 .. i disabled NVIDIA adapter from device manager... disabled automatic updates and even block NVIDIA outbound internet access from firewall hoping that this settings mightstill be there when Win 10 was updated.
    UL80vt here

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  2. alexxfender

Reputations:
    Let me go back to Win 8 ..... try a fresh install in another HDD

3. rockingfreely

rockingfreely Newbie

Reputations:
    Hmmm I never was on Windows 8. I went from Windows 7 to 10. Sounds like you didn’t delete the drivers in systems settings? Is that correct? You have to completely erase your NVIDIA drivers completely in systems so that your Intel driver will work by default. I think reverting back to Windows 8 or 7 is your best bet; then try these steps instead, which is what I solely used. Erasing the NVIDIA drivers is a pain is the a$$. I had to youtube it and pretty much play around with it. I still don’t know how I did, as the youtube video was a little different from what I had. Anyhow, I have everything working great, minus the HDMI issues and no screen mirroring (I might not be able to screen mirror since this computer was made before smart TV’s lol)

installing the old driver (Modified from original at http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-...id-graphics-ul80vt-ul50vt-ul30vt-windows.html)

For laptops as Asus UL80Vt, UL50Vt and UL30Vt

1. Install Windows 10

2. Go to “System Drive”:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and remove two folders with started string "nv_lh.int"(NVIDIAdard driver) and “igdlh11.inf” (INTEL standard driver) in folder name.

3. Uninstall both Display adapters from Device Manager (mark ‘Delete the driver software for this device’).

4. Restart your computer.

5. Download from
    VGA latest driver #186.88 for 64 bit which was supported NVIDIA Hybrid Power technology with Intel chipsets just unpack it, or you can use your install disc (DVD:\Software\Display\nVidia) do not install!.

6. Go to Device manager, now you should see two “Microsoft Basic Display Adapters” under “Display adapters”

7. Go to “Properties” for second adapter and under “Details” check “Hardware Ids”. It should be PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_..........

8. If no check another adapter

9. If yes go to “Driver” and click “Update Driver” tab choose “Browse my computer for driver software” browse to nVidia driver
    location (mark Include subfolders) and click “Next”

10. One glitch - your Desktop may disappear, don’t worry, wait 10 minutes (or check install finish on taskbar) and restart

11. Install driver just for nVidia adapter, for Intel it was installed automatically.

12. Download Windows 8.1 latest version of Asus Power4Gear Hybrid and Windows 10 version of the ATK Package from the following ASUS page and install

P4GH: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Power4GearHybrid&os=41

ATK Package: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ATKPackage&p=3&s=813&os=45&hashedid=n/a

13. Restart.

You can control active Display adapters in notification area.

Do not upgrade graphics driver, because NVIDIA won’t support NVIDIA and INTEL Hybrid Graphics now!

4. rockingfreely

rockingfreely Newbie

Reputations:
    If anyone can answers these questions! That would be great! I have the ASUS UL50TV and am on Windows 10.

Now my questions?***

1. Do my NVIDIA drivers have anything to do with HDMI?

2. Anybody able to mirror link with the UL50VT yet?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  5. Tisza David

Tisza David Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Alexxfender!

I had the same problem (Black screen with movable cursor after update from win8pro), but the following method I can solved the problem.

STEP 1: Windows 10 activation (if your Win 10 already have been activated, you can skip this step)

- Install Win 7 or Win 8/8.1 with a valid product key.
    - Upgrade this with Win 10 and the activation will be done automatically.

Once you have upgraded to Windows 10 and activate, you can simply create a bootable copy on DVD or USB and reinstall just Windows 10 without the need to reinstall the qualifying version and it will reactivate automatically. Windows 10 handles keys differently. When you upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update from Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, the process registers your computers hardware, and qualifying OS with a Microsoft Product Activation Server. The device is then considered a Windows 10 device.
    Subsequently anytime you re-install (or clean install) the installation checks with those servers, finds the unique installation ID and produces the validation

STEP 2: CLEAN install

- CLEAN Install Windows 10 (DO NOT set any internet connection!)

- In this case there won't be "nv_lh.int"(NVIDIAdard driver) and “igdlh11.inf” (INTEL standard driver) folder in “System Drive”:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository so you don't need to remove anything.

- Device Manager you should see two “Microsoft Basic Display Adapters” under “Display adapters”

- Download from
    VGA latest driver #186.88 for 64 bit which was supported NVIDIA Hybrid Power technology with Intel chipsets just unpack it, or you can use your install disc (DVD:\Software\Display\nVidia) do not install!.

- Go to Device manager, you should see two “Microsoft Basic Display Adapters” under “Display adapters”

- Go to “Properties” for second adapter and under “Details” check “Hardware Ids”. It should be PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_..........

- If no check another adapter

- If yes go to “Driver” and click “Update Driver” tab choose “Browse my computer for driver software” browse to nVidia driver
    location (mark Include subfolders) and click “Next”

- One glitch - your Desktop may disappear, don’t worry, wait 10 minutes (or check install finish on taskbar) and restart

- Install driver just for nVidia adapter, for Intel it was installed automatically.

- Restart

- Now you can set your internet connection

- Download Windows 8.1 latest version of Asus Power4Gear Hybrid and Windows 10 version of the ATK Package from the following ASUS page and install

P4GH: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Power4GearHybrid&os=41

ATK Package: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ATKPackage&p=3&s=813&os=45&hashedid=n/a

You can control active Display adapters in notification area.

Do not upgrade graphics driver, because NVIDIA won’t support NVIDIA and INTEL Hybrid Graphics now!

6. alexxfender

Reputations:
    Let me answer rockingfreely first ...

WIN 8:
    I did remove NVIDIA drivers, all of them.. anyway, Windows 8 can automatically install this driver -
    NVIDIA GeForce G210M (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM V1.2) .. this works perfect for me.. but Nvidia would update itself to NVIDIA GeForce G210M from NVIDIA and this can cause my system in black flickering screen WITHOUT cursor.. so i always uninstall the drivers and the software and even block them from accessing the internet from firewall.. that how i ran my Win 8.

WIN 10
    When i update to Windows 10 ... (no internet) setup is pretty much completed but the screen would turn black with move-able cursor right BEFORE you logon! .. so some of the steps you guys are mentioning are not applicable to me. Activation and setup are all going smoothly .. but it would NOT let me logon to desktop ... stuck at black screen

I would guess Win 8 comes with NVIDIA GeForce G210M (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM V1.2) which works with Win 8 .. and Win 10 come with another version/updated Nvidia drivers which was automatically installed during the setup process... i just CAN'T pass that black screen which prevent me to do those steps you are mentioning!

7. alexxfender

Reputations:
    How about i install Win 7 and go from there ...

8. alexxfender

Reputations:
    Hello from Win 10 (Ul80vt)

[​IMG]

9. mevatt

mevatt Newbie

Reputations:
    So have you had problems with your laptop freezing after installing Windows 10? I installed Windows 10, got it running, figured out how to disable automatic driver updates (as you know, you have to use driver #186.88 for the Nvidia graphics card and you can't let it update the driver automatically), and my computer boots and works great for a while, but it freezes randomly anywhere from every few days to every few minutes depending on what I'm doing with it. I've contacted ASUS customer support and they just tell me this model isn't supported for Windows 10 upgrades. I'm not completely sure it's the graphics card drivers causing the problem, but I think it is.

10. alexxfender

Reputations:
    Im sure my problem was NVIDIA driver update... Its not easy to block NVIDIA update! ...
    * I select "Never install driver software from windows update"
    * I change the Window Update setting from Group Policy too
    -- it slipped through! ..

Found another way to do it from ----- http://superuser.com/questions/901803/prevent-windows-10-from-installing-updating-a-specific-driver

You can block the installation of drivers for a particular hardware ID. It works the same way in Windows 10 as it did in Windows 8.1.

First, look up the device hardware ID:

• In Device Manager, right-click on the device in question, and select Properties.
    • Go to the Details tab.
    • Change Property to Hardware Ids.
    • Copy-paste this into a text file.
    Then, make sure you have a stable configuration:

• Download the replacement driver, but do not install it yet.
    • Disconnect from the network so that Windows will not retrieve new drivers.
    • Disable, then uninstall the driver that you want to replace.
    • Install the replacement driver.
    • Reboot and make sure it sticks.
    Then, block all installation of drivers for that hardware ID:

• In the start menu, type gpedit.msc and press enter.
    • Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Device Installation -> Device Installation Restrictions
    • Double-click on "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these device IDs."
    • Set this to Enabled.
    • Click Show, under Options, "Prevent installation of devices that match any of these Device IDs."
    • Copy-paste the hardware ID from the text file into the Value box.
    • Click OK until you get back to the Group Policy Editor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.