* OFFICIAL UL80VT and UL50VT / VS Owner's Lounge *

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by sighie, Oct 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NDMr

NDMr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I developed custom driver bundles for both graphics and all the other latest drivers for the ul50/ul80. They work very well on both windows 7 and 8, hdmi and non hdmi. Everything works 100%.

Driver Bundle (for UL50 but I think its the same as ul80 drivers, might be slight differences though for wifi etc): http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/677471-asus-ul50vg-ul50vt-driver-bundle-ndmr.html

Graphics Bundle: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asu...nvidia260-63-driver-bundle-compiled-ndmr.html

2. vsamma

vsamma Newbie

Reputations:
    So this is the latest hybrid driver update there is?

I am really disappointed that there are no official updates. I bought my ASUS UL80VT a little more than 2 years ago and the original manufacturer drivers worked fine for me until now.

I wanted to play FIFA13, and it seemed to work, but when I selected "Play game", then the game crashed without any errors. When I started the game in Save power mode (Intel chipset), then the game worked, but lagged and was low quality, because my pc was on low performance.
    I googled and found out that this is a graphics problem and an update for the drivers should fix the problem. The I found out that the latest driver for my Nvidia GeForce G210M does not work because it does not support hybrid technology. So I downloaded that 260.63 driver bundle and when I got it working fine after the third attempt, FIFA13 ingame menus worked perfectly but the game still crashed before kick-off.
    But it's wierd, because it did not crash while trying to play skill games, only before kick-off.

I know that my problem is only game-related and it may be a bit offtopic, but still, are there maybe some other things to try with my graphics card?

Anyways, thanks in advance.

3. Arthix

Arthix Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey, I've got an UL80VT and the same problem. I think there's no an easy way to fix it, but maybe has a solution.
    When I have installed the newest Intel and NVIDIA drivers (with the modded inf), my nvidia painel tell me that I'm not using a NVIDIA GPU card, whilst the intel painel has no problem to run. And is almost impossible to run FIFA 13 with Intel Graphic Card.
    My idea is if we could disable Intel graphic card, and use only the dedicated one. Only in that case, of course. But I don't know how to do it. Intel is always interfering.
    If someone know how to do that, I'll be very grateful.
    Sorry my bad english.

4. gedsdead

gedsdead Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ~ WINDOWS 8 - 64 BIT - Windows8 ~

Okay, so I took the plunge and performed a clean install with Windows 8. Upon fresh boot;

Both GPUs where installed, and the Nvidia was using a June 2012 driver. I did not test the GPU functionality, oops.
    Wifi was working out of the box.
    Ethernet was installed, but was unable to obtain an IP.
    No Camera drivers, and Mic not working either
    Sound workes fine.
    Touchpad works, but has no specific elan driver, and running awful sensitivity. - This needs to be addressed

Missing Bloatware;
    Asus FN key software to be able to use the FN keys
    Power4Gear - Overclocking control, profile
    GPU switching support

First thing I wanted was some proper GPU support, so I used the crappy Original release

Now I'm trying MSI Kombustor (Great bench mark) and i'm scoring 6-7 fps in the benchmark (yuk), about 350-400 points, and 30 fps in the burn-in test. Not sure why.

Still unable to change gpus.

Ideally, I would like a pc capable of switching GPU's, and power off Nvidia to save battery power. Battery life is important to me, more so then GPU gaming on an old system.

I have yet to try NDMr's driver solution.

5. kevinkoh

kevinkoh Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi i would like to ask if anyone has managed to run PlanetSide 2 on Ul80VT?

im currently on stock GPU drivers. with Nvidia System tools.

When i run PS2, it gives me an about 0.3 second delay in rendering, making it unplayable.
    Is this the issue of GPU or CPU?

Should i try overclocking GPU/CPU?
    my GPU already peaks at 90 Degrees Celsius when playing other games without OC

6. sci05

sci05 Newbie

Reputations:
    Which drivers did you use to have the nvidia GPU work? Can you it. I installed Windows 8 and everything seemed to work fine except for the nvidia driver

7. gedsdead

gedsdead Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have found only that the stock drivers work correctly so far.

ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS UL80Vt

Version V8.15.11.8688
    Description nVidia Graphics Driver
    nVidia Graphics Driver for Win7 64 bit
    File Size
    116,79 (MBytes) 2009.09.18 update

~

I also emailed Asus who weren't a lot of help, but the did have a few reasonable recommendations when running Windows 8 on a UL80VT. Try out their stuff if you want, I put my personal recommendations as well:

~~~

ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities
    Version V1.0.0024
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download ATKPackage

I believe this will also replace the ATKSOD (On Screen Display) that you will need) This ATK packaged works great for me.

~~~

Power4Gear Hybrid Utility
    Version V2.1.7
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Power4Gear Hybrid

This version of P4G appears to work well with Windows 8. But I can't seem to Disable / Enable Overclocking with it, so its stuck on or off state, depending on your last settings. Personally I prefer version 1.2.2 or 1.1.50, since they gave complete control, although they're not officially W8 compatible.

~~~

Elantech Touchpad driver
    Version V11.5.0.9
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download Touchpad

I also wasn't really happy with this version of Touchpad drivers. Both versions of their V10.5.10.0 (Both 142 MB's) and other 10.5.x and 10.0.5.x releases seem like the winners here. They're actually a must compared to the factory drivers of 8 MBs, or any of the 'Smartpad' releases which see really bizzare. I also recommend these version in Win 7, they fix that over touchy over sensitive touchpad whenever you try to type things.

~~

Has anyone found better luck with improved drivers, video or to otherwise?

Cheers,
    Gedsdead

8. UL80VT-A1

UL80VT-A1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

This guy claims that he is able to use latest Optimus drivers on UL80VT! Latest drivers (3xx) on UL80VT with working Optimus ? - Nautis1100 Hybrid and Optimus Drivers - LaptopVideo2Go Forums

9. paradyne64

paradyne64 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I know this might be a long shot.

But has anyone been able to update their UL80VT to windows 10?

I am going from Windows 7 to 10. It looks like it does the upgrade okay. But I only get a black screen upon windows 10 boot.

I am sure it has to do with the NVIDIA 210M hybrid card.

Any Ideas? Thanks a lot!!

10. eaferrari24

eaferrari24 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have been using Windows 10 on the 80VT for the last 9 months or so. I assume you have the non-pro version of Windows 10, so will need to block automatic updates by NVIDIA and fully uninstall the updated driver from the OS. To uninstall, enter safe mode and open device manager to find the graphics card. Click uninstall. Make sure to check the box that asks if you want to delete the driver files during the uninstall. Go uninstall all NVIDIA components found in the uninstall programs window (Programs & Features). Delete both remaining NVIDIA folders in the Program Files directories (x86 and x64).

Open C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and find the file that is ~260 megabytes (most likely the NVIDIA driver). You can verify by opening the file with 7zip and looking at the contents. Copy the file name down then delete it. Double check there are no folders with the same name.

You will then need to prevent the update from ever attempting to reinstall. You can try to prevent future driver downloads by searching for "Change device installation settings" in the search bar and telling windows to not update your drivers. This will prevent all hardware from updating, but keeps the graphics driver from being overwritten. In the case that an updated driver continues to reinstall, try one or more of the following options.

Option 1: Create a blank file on your desktop with an identical filename to the file you just deleted. Make sure to remove any file type extensions. If you do not get a dialog that you are changing the file type and its association to a program then you are not doing something right. Right click -> Properties -> Read Only. Then place it into the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. This is probably the most effective way to block future NVIDIA installs at the moment, but with each update NVIDIA pushes the ID will change and you will have to repeat the process.

Option 2: Alternatively you and disable the Windows Update service entirely and activate it whenever you need to update. This does introduce security risks by not automatically patching holes or keeping Windows Defender up to date.

Option 3: Your third option is to download the Windows 10 Hide Update Troubleshooter Package (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930). You can hide updates with that file by Microsoft, but from my experience, the NVIDIA update slips through from time to time even if it is blocked. Even if microsoft fixes up this tool, new patches by NVIDIA will slip through.

Installing the old driver (Modified from original at http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-...id-graphics-ul80vt-ul50vt-ul30vt-windows.html)

For laptops as Asus UL80Vt, UL50Vt and UL30Vt

1. Install Windows 10

2. Go to “System Drive”:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and remove two folders with started string "nv_lh.int"(NVIDIA standard driver) and “igdlh11.inf” (INTEL standard driver) in folder name.

3. Uninstall both Display adapters from Device Manager (mark ‘Delete the driver software for this device’).

4. Restart your computer.

5. Download from
    VGA latest driver #186.88 for 64 bit which was supported NVIDIA Hybrid Power technology with Intel chipsets just unpack it, or you can use your install disc (DVD:\Software\Display\nVidia) do not install!.

6. Go to Device manager, now you should see two “Microsoft Basic Display Adapters” under “Display adapters”

7. Go to “Properties” for second adapter and under “Details” check “Hardware Ids”. It should be PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_..........

8. If no check another adapter

9. If yes go to “Driver” and click “Update Driver” tab choose “Browse my computer for driver software” browse to nVidia driver
    location (mark Include subfolders) and click “Next”

10. One glitch - your Desktop may disappear, don’t worry, wait 10 minutes (or check install finish on taskbar) and restart

11. Install driver just for nVidia adapter, for Intel it was installed automatically.

12. Download Windows 8.1 latest version of Asus Power4Gear Hybrid and Windows 10 version of the ATK Package from the following ASUS page and install

P4GH: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Power4GearHybrid&os=41

ATK Package: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=ATKPackage&p=3&s=813&os=45&hashedid=n/a

13. Restart.

You can control active Display adapters in notification area.

Do not upgrade graphics driver, because NVIDIA won’t support NVIDIA and INTEL Hybrid Graphics now!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.