Official "swapping the XPS 17 L701x screen" thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by RedlanceEQ, Dec 30, 2010.

1. RedlanceEQ

RedlanceEQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have been trying to find info to find out how to swap screens on the XPS 17. The Dell XPS 17 L701x Thread contains a wealth of data (and I recommend anyone wanting to know more about their XPS 17 or planning to buy one to browse through it) but it can be a bit daunting to go through all 116 pages (at time of this post) to find the data needed.

I plan to do the switch myself at some point but so far have not yet received my machine. I will post data I find here in order to help others who want to upgrade their screen.

Why is dell no offering a FHD screen for the XPS 17?

That is a good question as I think the most logical answer is here:

I've also got from a good source that the XPS 17 R2 (L702x) will come out on February 2011 and will include a FHD screen, but it will be a 3D one and most likely more expensive.

What screen should I buy?
    So far four screens have been found as compatible for the L701x and L702x):
    Chi Mei N173HHE-L11
    AU Optronics B173HW01 V.4
    AU Optronics B173HW01 V.5
    HANNSTAR HSD173PUW1-A00
    LG model (lgd0283) (installed by one user so far (tjtremor) and works)

Where can I find the specs of all these screens?

Thanks Mitchell2.24v for the link: http://www.yslcd.com.tw/Docs.aspx

Where can I buy them?

Good resellers:

http://kuzotronic.com/ (Website put together by member barlow00 especially to help XPS owners to get the exact screen they order and not a "similar or better" screen like some other resellers) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!
    http://www.yslcd.com.tw/Product.aspx?&&ProdCode=B173HW01+V.4 (place used by Mitchell2.24v and several other members and they got the exact screen they ordered) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

LAPTOP SCREENS, LCD panels from $49. Dell, HP Compaq, Toshiba, Acer, IBM Lenovo, Sony, Gateway, Apple, Asus replacement screen display panel (place used by tjtremor but got a "compatible" panel - it worked though)
    otoptek.com Sells both the AUO V4 and V5. Send a mail to sally@otoptek.com and they will get back to you with prices (booogo ordered a V5 and got exactly that).

Unconfirmed resellers:

AU Optronics 17.3 full-hd LCD notebook = 5 Resultaten: LCDtec.nl
    HannStar 17.3 full-hd notebook LCD = 1 Results: LCDtec.nl
    (Thanks to Xymox for these two links)
    Chi Mei N173HHE-L11 LCD Screens, $156 retail price.
    AU Optronics B173HW01 V.4 LCD Screens, $156 retail price.

Resellers to avoid:

http://www.laptopscreen.com/English...php?section=products&part_number=B173HW01 V.4 (soup4you2 ordered there and got the AUO screen but the V0 and not the V4. They offer both glossy and matte types of screens) (it came up for another member, madmaxx890, where they sent him an LG with same specs than the standard screen instead of the ordered AUO. They then admitted they do not stock the AUO)
    NEW HANNSTAR HSD173PUW1-A00 17.3" FHD SCREEN LED LEFT on eBay (end time 24-Jan-11 18:19:40 GMT) (So far this e-bay seller has to send one screen that is exactly what someone ordered for the XPS 17. Not to mention he is extremely discourteous when challenged on his "LG screen is the best screen" way of thinking. I'd advise avoiding like the plague)

Will this void my warranty?

Ok, I have the screen. How do you swap it?

First refer to your XPS 17 manual (also found online here). You'll find this picture:

[​IMG]

And now a full instruction with pictures from Mitchell2.24v:

I changed my screen but the colors look off:

You can change the color profile settings with windows (as a note, Windows tends to use too much blue on its settings)

Mitchell2.24v created a new package with all three profiles (LG, AUO v.4 and AUO v.0) which is very useful.

He also gave a very good procedure on how to add color profiles in Windows:

To get it to work, it is highly recommended to use this little app, which will enable you to change the profiles with a simple click.

That is what I've been able to find so far. Please feel free to comment, share your experience, etc. I'll do my best to keep this post up to date to help everyone on the forum. ;)

Last but not least, thanks to s0lace and his XPS 14 screen replacement thread that inspired me to do this one. ;)

2. RedlanceEQ

Reputations:
    Photos of new screens:

tjtremor's new LG screen (picture taken with an iPhone):

[​IMG]

Mitchell's new AUO screen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bomoogo's new screen (AUO V5):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. RedlanceEQ

Reputations:
    Placeholder for when I switch my own screen (I'll take photos, put details and all)

4. tjtremor

tjtremor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just realized they shipped an LG model (lgd0283) and not the
    hanstar ( HSD173PUW1 ) not sure what the difference is but the LG works fine

pic is granny, I had to use HDR on the iphone,
    i'll film some hd tv and post on youtube

Attached Files:

5. compwiz0620

compwiz0620 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome +1. I hope you have it done and everything posted by the time I get my income tax refund.

6. RedlanceEQ

Reputations:
    Thanks tjtremor, I've added the pic to the picture post. :)

7. RoosterRed

RoosterRed ---"Laughing Man"---

Reputations:
    WAY TO GO REDLANCEEQ!!!!!!
    this will indeed speed the search for a new screen for our L701x's
    :notworthy:
    Rooster:cool:

8. RedlanceEQ

Reputations:
    Glad I could help and yeah, I've pulled enough of my hair trying to find the data in the past few days. lol!

On another note, anyone know how I can make the forum re-size the picture in the second post?

9. Grat3fulH3ad

Grat3fulH3ad Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well this is goin to be the 1st thing I do when I receive my laptop. Well, other than a clean win7 install, SSD & more ram. :) awesome work compiling all the info!

10. RoosterRed

RoosterRed ---"Laughing Man"---

Reputations:
    looks good, but this brings up Mitchell2.24v's issue of getting what you ordered.
    This thread would be a good place to discuss, if any, differences between the screens for our L701xs. Mitchell2.24v stated
    "It has been said before, and some asking around leads to the same conclusion. Be careful when ordering. You will not always get what you think you're ordering. I'm going for the AUO FHD panel, and you might actually get another kind of AUO, or even an LG panel if you don't pay attention."
    Is there really a difference in performance? price? reliability?
    Rooster:cool: