1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Official "swapping the XPS 14 L401x screen" thread

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by s0lace, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Raji D

Raji D Notebook Guru

Ive just received my xps 14 from Student PC Offer
    So good to have a laptop.
    But I have to agree, the screen quality, especially coming from a LG desktop LCD and Samsung LCD TV, is disgusting. Looking to do the swap asap.

Im in Australia. Has anyone else ordered a screen / done a swap from down under? Is there shipping / warranty issues for us over here?

2. timoric

timoric Notebook Enthusiast

I am entertaining an offer to buy a 2 month old one of these for $500 will probably do the screen swap. The guy claims he paid $1500 for it and it is still under warranty. I get his service code this afternoon to check out the specs. It will be my first time trying to change a screen if I buy it, I have wanted to change screens before, every see one of those 18.4 Acer 1080p screens? You can't even view it head on, top will be negative black and bottom will be good or vice versa. I think a PC maker that adds good screens could do well in the market place. Hopefully this LG screen will be a good fix and make this a nifty 14 inch computer for a reasonable price.

3. bbCan

bbCan Notebook Guru

Have done the swapped screen for a week. Man, loves it! 10,000 better than the original one. This is A must change!

4. tyh

tyh Guest

I just ordered an XPS 14 and a screen swap. I hope the swap goes well.

5. wkomar

wkomar Newbie

Just a quick Thank You for this thread. Have just installed the new LG screen ordered from HooToo, looks freakin good!!!

Took it nice and easy with the Bezel, corners are tricky to take off, and patience helps too.

Absolutely stoked, cheers.

6. void00000

void00000 Newbie

I just order my replacement screen.
    I'm looking forward to get the replacement done.
    I'm sorry for the ignorance, but can you kindly tell me which side you have to lift first?? Screen side or top of the laptop to lift the bezel.

Thank you..

7. bbCan

bbCan Notebook Guru

I did mine from the top of the screen.

8. ravic

ravic Notebook Geek

I know this is the wrong forum.
    Answering just for reference.

For the little research i did on online, 14r seems to ship with a samsung panel LTN140AT07.
    Which definitely has a different pinout than the LG panel (LP140WD1) being discussed in this thread.

9. Pappusrkr

Pappusrkr Newbie

Hi, I have been through all the posts as I had the same problem with my screen of XPS L401X since I buy it. Just wanted to make sure from all of you who have already changed the panel that this is the particular model New LG LP140WD1-TLA1 and it is 100% compatible? Can you please confirm that it does not have the same grainy (pixel) issue and is of much better quality as most of you have suggested.

Edit:The stock screen: Terrible strain to eyes due to graininess (don't know how to say it exactly), very poor viewing angles.

It is really unfortunate that Dell QC pass this LCD for a high end laptop like this. I have already ordered the Lg LCD that most of you suggested, the dell service here in Thailand, was friendly and I discussed the issue with him. There is only 1 part available as replacement that is the stock one. He suggested that I might buy the LG LCD and give them a call complaining of any issue, not real necessarily, and they will send technician with a part and he will do the LCD swap for me, free of charge. This is because they can not send just for service without a part replacement.

I will wait for the LG LCD to arrive and once done I will feedback. For now if anyone can feedback who have already done the swap, how much better you feel the LG LP140WD1-TLA1 is in terms of graininess.

Thank You.

10. tyh

tyh Guest

Just did a screen swap with the LP140WD1-TLA1 and the LCD is amazing. Colors are much better, no grainy look and best of all, higher resolution.

My bezel cracked however, so looks like I am going to order a new bezel.

11. Pappusrkr

Pappusrkr Newbie

My main problem is the grainy feel on the LCD (stock) that strain the eyes like hell, as I have to work all day in front of it. Is the New LG LCD much better in this respect? How will you compare the new one with the old one in terms of Graininess?

Thank You.

12. tyh

tyh Guest

It's definitely a noticeable difference. So much better.

13. Pappusrkr

Pappusrkr Newbie

Thank you buddy, just made me feel better, I already ordered it. Will feed back once completed the swap. By the way my specs:
    Dell XPS 14 | i7-740QM | 4GB RAM | nVidia 425m | 500GB HDD | No Back-lit Keyboard | (not yet)
    1600x900 LG LED LCD | Windows 7 pro 64 bit.

This is the part number of the stock screen found out from my system configuration:
    HR1VT LCD,14.0HDF,WLED,TLF,45%,INLOX is the brand, dell is getting the supply from. They say it is a special kind of LCD which is much superior (True Color or something), Sorry for my language " What a crap"

Thanks again

14. void00000

void00000 Newbie

Hi All..
    Just finish my swap as well. LCD screen deliver in 3 days. (which is good)

I did break couple taps but bezel is holding well.
    And I would like to add that screen looks WHOLE lot better then stock one.
    No issue with screeen so far.
    Thank you everyone.

15. Pappusrkr

Pappusrkr Newbie

Just finished the swaping of LCD, to the LG one, and as everyone else said it is lot better in terms of Color, Contrast, No Graininess at all. Thank You all and specially to the person who fount it out.

16. bail_w

bail_w Newbie

swapped the screen to the LG panel, wroth every pennies.

17. wiLx u Up

wiLx u Up Notebook Enthusiast

Just did it last week. Thanks for the instructions. Worked like a charm. Definitely worth it.

18. ggcvnjhg

ggcvnjhg Notebook Evangelist

Just to clarify, the instructions on page 1 are basically all we need correct? We don't need to go through the whole song and dance of removing like half components as stated in the service manual?

19. s0lace

s0lace Notebook Guru

No man, just follow the directions on page 1 and you're good to go

20. tsktsk

tsktsk Notebook Enthusiast

Hey everyone, so I bought the screen in anticipation of doing this mod with a refurb xps14, but Dell screwed up my order. Is anyone interested in a screen?