OFFICIAL: Studio 17 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jpzsports, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fotofreak

fotofreak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's like giving your laptop the middle finger (figuratively speaking) - LOL - but hey if it works best then that may solve some scanning issues. I use my pointer finger but I guess I could try programming with the middle 'digit' instead.

2. fotofreak

Reputations:
    On a totally unrelated note: Why are all the hard drive options 5400RPM? what happen to the faster 7200RPM options? ... just curious

3. fotofreak

Reputations:
    I agree (about the beeping noise and reader placement) but I'm not sure where else they could have put it that would make any more sense. I noticed that it can also bring up the FP login setup box in the top left of the screen when you are using the numeric keyboard. I think it's a nice feature but it's more fun than helpful or quicker than the regular way.

4. hannay

hannay Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got my Studio 17 on the way :D

• Studio 1735 : Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.5GHz,800GHz,6MB)
    • Palmrest : Fingerprint Reader Biometric Standard
    • Display : 17in Widescreen WUXGA with Truelife - CCFL
    • 2.0 mega pixel Camera - CCFL
    • LCD Back Cover : Topo Pattern Blue U Trim
    • Memory Dual Channel 4.0GB (2x2048) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    • Hard Drive : 640GB Serial ATA (5.400RPM) Dual Hard Drive (2x 320GB)
    • Optical Drive : Blu-ray Disc (DVD+/-RW + BD-ROM) Drive
    • Battery : Primary 9 cell 85W/HR LI-ION
    • Graphics: 256 MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 3650
    • Wireless : Dell Wireless 1510 (802.11n) Half Mini Card European
    • Wireless : Dell Bluetooth 370 Card Europe
    • Internal Dell Wireless 5530 built-in 3G/HSDPA / NO SIM
    • Keyboard : Internal UK English Qwerty Backlit Keyboard
    • Operating System : English Genuine Windows Vista SP1 Ultimate including Media
    • English Microsoft Office 2007 Basic
    • Software English Adobe Photoshop Elements 6
    • 3 Year Hardware Support - At Home
    • + a case / wifi router / headset etc

Its replacing my awful XPS m1330 which has been nothign but trouble since the day I got it...

Quite looking forward to this laptop :)

5. bohman

bohman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i dont know what happened to the option. i guess they wanted to reserve some things for XPS?

but i used it as a bargaining chip when making my deal with the sales associate, so it worked out for the better, kind of.

6. fotofreak

Reputations:
    I actually had a 160GB 7200RPM in my first Studio 1735 so I'm just now starting to get used to the slightly slower hard drive performance of the 2x320GB 5400 drives.

7. ach3al

ach3al Newbie

Reputations:
    1735 fan noise
    Hello everybody. I want to ask again how your fan is running. After about 10 minutes mine is running all the time and it is running loud. In a quiet room it is very annoying. I do nothing else than surfing the net. Dell offered now to exchange the notebook but I want to make shure that there is a change to get a better (quieter) one. Thanks for your reply.

8. bohman

bohman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    my fan is running as designed. high for high load, low for low load, off for very low load.

9. eoplocust

eoplocust Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i think i just set the record for shortest time as an owner of a studio 17. not sure if it was just my system or its an issue but I didnt want to start a new thread and make it seem like a huge issue. i received my laptop around 9:30am (picked up from d-h-Hell) opened it right up in the car. set up windows went on youtube by about 9:47am ( free hotspot nearby) heard the bad speakers. and i mean bad in that they sounded bad AND rattled like they were blown out by a previous owner (outlet refurb) and the backlight would just get dim and bright while I moved the screen (as in on and off not color changes cuz I only moved it like 3 inches to test for hinge play). maybe it was shipping damage. would not be surprised. dhl in my area is not very good.

anyhow, I called dell at 9:55am and they emailed the return label to me at 10:03 (per my email) I work by UPS so I dropped it off by 10:30am. so I owned it for an hour before it left my hands for return.

I like dell but maybe DHL is not a good move by them. I would hope it did not leave dell in that condition and that it was damaged in transit.

10. fotofreak

Reputations:
    Same here. I'll admit it comes on a heckin' when it's in high but otherwise it's actually quite quiet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.