OFFICIAL: Studio 17 Owner's Thread

Discussion in 'Dell' started by jpzsports, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somms

somms Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showpost.php?p=3929060&postcount=5

Haven't had any problems with the reader on my Studio since I updated the drivers and software up to their latest versions. Others have not been so lucky and still report having problems though...

Not sure if the UPEK would even be compatible w/Studio since it uses a different OEM fingerprint reader...

2. tmaxxtim

tmaxxtim Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Oops I didn't realize the Studio's used a different piece of software. I just assumed it was UPEK as my Latitude and XPS were.

3. bohman

bohman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how many swipes does it take for your fingerprint to read correct? i keep having to swipe about 10 times, which defeats the purpose pretty much.

4. somms

somms Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Usually just once. Sometimes 2x but I'm using the middle finger of my right hand;)

If you are still having trouble with latest software/drivers, you may have to adjust the sensitivity setting down in the DigitalPersona app...

5. bohman

Reputations:
    thanks, that may be it. i think the drivers are up-to-date. will check after work.

6. fotofreak

fotofreak Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This is my first post here and I'll start with a question (eventually): First some background: I do a lot of photo editing and Dell sent me a very nice Studio 1735 to replace my E1705 - long story short I specifically asked that they make sure the replacement had the high end 1920x1200 LCD because I really liked the one on my E1705 - so no problem that's what they sent me. But I could not for the life of me get the colors calibrated correctly - I tried several times. The main problem was the blues and reds. Blue skies never quite had the colors they should have had and some red tones were off. I did get it close but it still bugged me. So did I get a bad LCD or has anyone else had this issue with the 1920 LCD? BTW I found the viewing angle and sharpness to be better than the (admittedly brighter) 1440 screen but rumour has it that the 1920 LCD is not WLED but CCFL... anyone have a comment on any of this? :D

7. bohman

Reputations:
    the 1920x1200 is not LED backlit. i wish it was, to increase the brightness, but it is plenty bright, and the picture is amazing. i have had no issues with my colors, but i have not changed them either, nor do any high-end photo editing. good luck w/that.

8. fotofreak

Reputations:
    It's funny a few places it says WLED but it is in fact not the case. Anyhow I ended up selling it and getting the laptop I have now. By doing so I now have the middle 1440x990 WLED screen (BL keyboard/FP reader and few other extras I did not have) But before selling my other laptop I compared the 2 screens side by side (same pics, etc..,) and no doubt about it the 1920 screen is off (color wise) in comparison. It is however sharper, better contrasted and the viewing angle is superior as well. As far as the 1440 screen: the colors (even at default ATI catalyst settings) are pretty much dead on (blue skies and skin tones are what they should be) - yes it's not as crisp (as the 1920) but it's still quite good and seems fine so far for photos/PS. I guess looking back I should have called Dell and got a replacement screen just to see if that was the problem.

9. fotofreak

Reputations:
    I have also had some issues with my FP reader especially when starting Vista. You can't always scan your finger right away - somtimes 2-3 seconds before it takes the scan (from the PW screen) and finally moves on to the Windows screen. Also the scanning surface is to small IMO and it means going slower and being more precise to get the scan 'to take' most times. I sometimes think it would be faster to just type in my PW -but- when it works it works well (FP reader) BTW I'd assume I have the newest drivers although I did have to update my BIOS to A04 (from A03) so who knows.

10. bigwhite1024

bigwhite1024 Newbie

Reputations:
    My finger print scanner works everytime pretty much. Just make sure you pull your finger through in a straight stroke that it isnt leaning towards one side or the other and it usually reads it everytime. Mine comes in pretty handy. Also, I think middle finger probably works the best, index finger seems to pull at an angle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.