Official Sony VAIO TT Series Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by boe, Oct 1, 2008.

1. doby_p

doby_p Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm currently trying to source the right hinge cap (400070903/2/1) and the power button (X23186872) for reasonable prices. None on ebay :( and I refuse to buy at the prices online component shops charge. Some come in fairly reasonable but then charge nearly £10 delivery... for what, a 5 gram piece of plastic.

I'm in the process of molding and casting the left hinge cap to make a right, it wont have the light up ring but whatever, its going to cost me under a quid to do. Can't do that with the power button though as I don't have one to make a mould from :/

2. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    It's been a while since you posted doby_p. I have ordered things from this company in the past and found that things were decently priced. I don't know if they have in stock the parts that you mentioned.
    UK-Computers Online Catalogue, Accessories, Audio Visual, Components, Connectivity, Consumables, Furniture, Office Equipment & Supplies, Peripherals, Software, Systems, Telecommunication, Training and Reference material , Warranties

eta
    I just checked and the power button at least looks like it is available. I'm not sure how much they would charge for shipping for that, but when i used them i was ok with the shipping costs.
    X23186872, Sony, Electrical Parts, UK-Computers

3. TZ300

TZ300 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, I have replaced my Toshiba HDD with a SSD. Now I want to access the Toshiba HHD. I have a usb adapter attached to the HDD, but when I plug it into the TT usb port, I can hear the HDD try to spin up for a few times, but it never show in the device manager. What do I need to do to get my TT to recognize the external usb HDD?

4. ritzo90

ritzo90 Newbie

Reputations:
    Try another pc, if that does not work then the USB adapter to micro sata isn't working/compatible.

5. ritzo90

ritzo90 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have also run into a spot of bother. By bother, I mean I will continue to hate pulling apart laptops for as long as I live.

I began the process of dismantling my in-laws Vaio TT, and I had all the screws out but the top right area where it connects to the hinge was stiff. I tried to get it to release with a lot of patience but I made a mistake and I've ripped a data ribbon. I was lift the keyboard side up to see where why it was stuck and it tore.

It looks pretty important because it connects to a board on the keyboard side which a lot of other connections go to. Looks like without it the sound, touch pad and keyboard are gone.

See pictures here: Damn... - Imgur
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know where I can get the ribbon cable or does anyone have a cable that they wanted to sell?

6. kendallj

kendallj Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ebay: Sony Vaio 11" VGN TT Series Genuine Keyoard Touchpad Ribbon 1 878 120 11 GLP | eBay

Another: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SONY-FP...055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4adbc8548f

7. ritzo90

ritzo90 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your help. It helped me confirm I had the right part.

After some ordeal, the wrong part sent (correct part ordered) and the original drive backup was corrupted (the drives almost gone anyway but working on getting the emails and photos off with a micro sata adapter on its way).

I'm happy to report the SSD works wonders, it's a beauty. The laptop preforms better than new. On par for general use with my Ultrabook.

Thanks for all the help and info guys.

8. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    Sony TT owners, hope that you are all well. I requested that this thread was reopened. My Sony TT is still alive and kicking. My Sony TT has been lightly used internally but needs some TLC cosmtically. I have been away from home for several years and left my Sony TT at home with it not being very robust i took a more robust laptop with me, so for over 3 years, it's really not been used and before it was only lightly used as a travel laptop and an occasional laptop at home for light tasks. The motherboard was also replaced by Sony in 2010.

I have a bit of a tale with this. It got sent away as i thought it was dead, but it just needed a new charger and battery charge. Anyway, ended up getting it back and the case that had started to break completely broke a part of it in the process. I now need to get a strip at the front or buy a whole new top palmrest. If anyone has that spare part do get in touch with me. I have a white laptop, but would make do with another cover just for that part. Do you think i could just get away with swapping out the strip or need the whole palmrest? I have attached a picture of the damage.
    It's very hard to obtain spare parts now.
    I've not tried Windows 10. I was using 8.1 but have reverted back to W7 as i prefer it. Those of you running W10, how do you find it, any issues? Does the Gobi wwan work fine?
    Sony will be removing the drivers for this laptop on the 1st March from their website, so may be a good time to download the drivers those of you who don't have them saved.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  9. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    @Rachel you might see if you can locate a service manual for the notebook that shows its respective part layout. It may have disassembly/replacement instructions for that front panel.

Buying a spare part may be difficult indeed. Therefore scout eBay for a dead/used TT. Consider that you may need more parts in the future, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a machine around that you can cannibalize.

The only other thing I can think of is to contact VAIO Support and see if they'll send/sell you a spare part.

Charles

Rachel likes this.
  10. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    Thanks Charles P Jefferies. Very good idea on buying a spare laptop to part out. I've been seeing some on ebay, but let them go, thinking i didn't need all of that, but i can see it's a good idea now. I've also been looking on Yahoo Japan auctions, but have found nothing The colour makes it harder to obtain, have not yet given up on sourcing one in white first.
    I've been seeing this laptop as a bit of a restoration project, so really want to spend as little as possible restoring it, but have thought about contacting Sony. I'm not sure what CS is like now fixing a laptop over 5 years old.

I do have a teardown manual. That doesn't give me any clues, but having seen the layout several times, i'm still none the wiser. I'm not sure if that part can be removed or not or if i need the whole palmrest.

edited to add:
    I opened up my TT and i do tend to think that that single striip can be removed.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Charles P. Jefferies likes this.