Official Sony VAIO TT Series Owners Thread

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by boe, Oct 1, 2008.

1. TZ300

TZ300 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I found this ssd Crucial M500 CT240M500SSD3 2.5in 240GB mSATA . It looks like a bare ssd like the one shown in the picture of the adapter.
    http://products.ncix.com/detail/crucial-m500-ct240m500ssd3-2-5in-240gb-76-88497.htm

Rachel or any one: Do you think it will fit into the mSata-microSata adapter?
    Thx

2. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    TZ300 i have really just looked into 1.8 SSD drives.

My UJ232A BD drive has stopped working and i'm using the original drive that came with my laptop and i have thought buying a UJ232A replacement. I though decided to see if there was anything newer out there. Some years ago i thought about buying a UJ242A but it seems that the issue i would have had before with the UJ242A was the pinhole out being in the wrong place for the bezel. It seems though i might possibly have more luck with the UJ262A which is a newer drive. The pinhole seems that it might be in the same place. May be this could be an upgrade, i will look into it more. I wrote this thread before about the differences between a UJ232A and a UJ242A.
    New UJ262 UJ-262 UJ262A UJ-262A DELL SONY Blu-ray 9.5mm burner player drive BD-R | eBay

edited to add:
    It seems that was the wrong photo used, i'm still looking into possible alternatives. If i find any i will update.

3. TZ300

Reputations:
    I bought the Crucial M550 256 GB mSATA from Amazon.com and mSata-microSata adapter from ebay. I just finished installing it. Everything fits. Loaded Windows8 on. Took me a long time to straighten out all the drivers. It turns out the Sony's win7 drivers are ok (run in compatible mode). Also, the SD and Memory Stick drivers from win7-64 bit do not work. I finally figured to download them from Vista-32 bit and run them in compatible mode to Win7 and all worked now. My battery is 50% gone, may have to replace it soon. Also, dropped my TT a couple of times, and the case cracked in a corner, but everything still works, hopefully for another 2 years or more.

4. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    I'm glad that the upgrade went well for you TZ300. I have never tried using a memory stick, but i have no problems with the SD card using the W7 64bit Sony TT drivers. There are three drivers listed, and i can't remember now what i did, but i don't have any problems with it. For the SD card i have driver version 6.3.2.28 installed and memory stick version 6.3.0.61.
    Sony : VGN-TT4 : VAIO Update

5. ritzo90

ritzo90 Newbie

Reputations:
    Can anyone help me with a quick question, my father in law upgraded his VGN-TT47GG to Windows 8, and it was all great but he needs at least an SSD to keep it running smooth. From what I've read most of the models use 1.8" HDD's, does this include the VGN-TT47GG? I was hoping for a easy swap out with a 2.4" SSD.

Thanks in advance, wealth of information on this forum.

6. TZ300

Reputations:
    Please look at my post (2 posts up). I used an Crucial 256 GB mSata together with mSata to MicroSata adapter. All works well.

7. panda88

panda88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just want to says its 2014 and this laptop is still going strong for me.

8. Sentot

Sentot Newbie

Reputations:
    Just replaced my TT46 hard disk with 128GB SSD. Anybody knows how to restore Windows 7 to the SSD? Any response will be appreciated.

9. Globule

Globule Newbie

Reputations:
    Good morning all,

I have inherited a Sony Vaio VGN-TT11LN (PCG-4Q1M) which had a minor fire around the charging port. I dismantled this, including removing the screen (as the screen cable sleeving was damaged), and have put it all back together (temporarily) to ensure it functions correctly which it does, but I found a small bracket stuck to my trousers afterwards!

I did not consciously remove it so either it was loose, or one of the fixings securing this was removed for my access, does anyone recognise it or have any idea where it went? It is 23mm long, and 11mm wide and it is made of plastic, with a small patch of adhesive on the rear.

I did not remove any of the main components, only the power cable and the screen.

1ampf.jpg

Thanks for your time and any help that can be provided!

10. Rachel

Rachel Busy Bee

Reputations:
    You've probably sorted this out by now, but i usually use Norton Ghost to clone a SSD/HD in situations like this. There is other software that is similar also that can be used.

I don't know what that could be, and if you do not get an answer here,i would suggest that you send vaiorefurbs an email about this.
    :::: VaioRefurbs ::::
    They are familar with upgrading Sony TT's and they will probably know. I had a look in the Sony TT service manual and could not make it out.

About the Blu ray drive i mentioned earlier. I ended up buying another UJ232A drive in the end.