Official Sony Vaio F22 2D Owners Lounge

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by avmaxfan, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berttheego

Berttheego Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now it's my turn to hang around the Sony webpage and refresh order status for the next three weeks.
    I've put an order on Vaio F23 with my own configurations, and this is how it looks:

Intel® CoreTM i7-2670QM 2,2GHz
    Seriell ATA på 500GB (5400rpm) *
    4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3-SDRAM *
    41,6cm LCD 1920x1080 Premium (s-sssshiny)
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M 2GB

* I will upgrade ram myself, because it's really easy, and much cheaper.
    Going to go for 8 GB. And the harddrive will be swapped with a Samsung 830 256 GB SSD, so the "old" harddrive will be used in a NAS server instead. :D

I can't friggin wait, and it's only been 1 hour since I placed the order.

2. Gompf

Gompf Newbie

Reputations:
    I've tried now and since it really looks like i am the first one to have taken this risk of trying, and for the benefit of all others: 8GB Modules x2 (so a total of 16GB in two modules) work perfectly in the F22 and in the F13 as well ! I also can only notice the increased speed and not a slowdown as predicted here.

I seriously doubt the CPU or the chipset limits the caching/prefetching, as there is similar notebooks from Dell and IBM using the same chipset and supporting 16GB. The CPUs basically do support up to 32 GB according to the datasheet. So the only way would have been if the BIOS would have a barred it, but it certainly does not look like.

So whoever is contemplating to get the 16 GB and didn't dare to order them so far, go ahead, you won't regret it i think.

/Gompf

3. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How do you know it's faster, what benchmark utility did you use?

Specifically how did you measure caching above 8 gigs?

Does this slowdown affect virtual OS, with XP running under Win7?

And under normal use, how much of your memory is being utilized?

Answer the questions above, THEN I'll listen to your case for memory greater than 8 gigs.

I have a T23 with W2K running 1 gig of memory, twice its rated 500 megs, it works well until several apps are open then it slows to a crawl as programs are running in uncached space. Likewise the infamous BX chipset only supprted 64 megs, put in 256, sure, but bootup takes 5 minutes, plus benchmarks are pitiful.

4. Gompf

Gompf Newbie

Reputations:
    well, a few points here:

1) first and most importantly, everybody must decide for themselfs, if they really need so much RAM or not, if you don't it is a waste of electrical power and money. For I am a developer, I program windows codes, drivers and firmwares, i have lots of development systems and virtual machines running at the same time and i typically only boot my machine every 4 to 6 weeks only, so i definitely use lots of RAM and it does make a difference to me.

2) there is no better way to increase your machine speed other than adding RAM to it if you are at the limit. No doubt, larger modules do have a longer latency and thus slower in theory, but there is a difference between theoretical and applied physics, once your machine has more RAM windows will start to cache certain things, and you will notice that.

3) If you actually use more RAM than you physically have, Windows will swap, and no doubt even the slowest RAM is faster than a swapfile and eat less of your cpu time.

4) I did not have the time to do a benchmark, and i won't unless i am unhappy with the situation and want to know the rootcause of this unhappyness. i know how fast my machine used to boot and how much time it uses now to boot, I also know how long it roughly took to resume a 4gb Virtual machine, and i can notice the difference. Seriously that is all i need to know for my work ;)

I did not plan on having a lengthy discussion on the pro and cons of RAM vs. Performance, everybody must decide for themselfs i believe, all i wanted to do here to give people the feedback that it actually works, dispite SONY's spec. For me, my subjective results are positive, no noticable drawback, noticenable upgrade from my point of feel, and i hope that information is somewhat usefull to others who like me were researching on the net if it works and could not find any confirmation on this.

/Gompf

5. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So I have a question for F22/F23 owners, and it might be hard to answer because not everyone notices stuff like this.

I bought a Sony VAIO CA2290 way back when. I liked the computer except for one fatal flaw: there were crackling and "popping" noises in the sound, especially when Windows sounds played, such as the "ding" sound. There'd be a delay in the ding sound playing (such as after clicking the volume settings adjuster in the task bar) and then there'd be a "pop" afterward. This, over the course of a week or so, degraded into me being able to hear the computer's electronic functions (i.e. scrolling on a webpage produced a "crackling" sound in the headphones). No amount of driver adjusting was able to fix the problem. It only got worse and worse.

Now, I went to the Sony store with my own headphones and tested many different computers, including the F22. I heard that same delay and "pop" sound. However, I did not hear it on the F23 and the Vaio SE.

So what I'm really trying to find out is if this problem was fixed with the F23 and the newer line of computers (including the SE). I recognize that a lot of people wouldn't notice this problem or care, but because it eventually got worse and worse for me, I'm afraid of buying another Sony after that.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    I've never noticed that sound, and I sometimes use a decent-quality pair of studio headphones with it (for gaming when everyone else is asleep), so I think I'd notice. As the signature notes, I have an F23. I'll fiddle around this weekend and see if I can hear anything, and report back with more definitive conclusions.

And it's not like i'm immune to caring about that stuff. For example, mine has a slight creak if I set my right wrist down on the very front edge of the case (where it would be if the right hand is using the arrow keys). Far from a deal-breaker, but slightly annoying, and proof that I do notice subtle noises like that.

7. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thank you :D

Part of the problem is that I have trouble explaining exactly what it is I'm talking about. However, I was able to get my mom, someone who knows little about computers and doesn't care about them much, to notice it. Essentially (just for more clarification and anyone else who's reading), it's: go to the task bar, click the speaker symbol, click the slider to get the "ding" sound. On a regular computer, the ding will happen instantly and sound clear. On the Sonys that I tested, there was a delay between the ding sound and the clicking of the slider and it did not sound clear, it was muffled at the beginning. Same went for the "click" sound that plays when you browse through folders on My Computer, etc.

8. jonesyp

jonesyp Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I upgraded my F2390 with an addtional 4gb of ram from the factory 4gb. I also added a Crucial M4 SSD 128gb. And installed Norton internet security 2012.

I have had no end of BSOD's, i removed the SSD and still the problems occured.

This was the reason i bought the sony to replace the dell 1557, as it had the same problems.

So i removed the Ram and also uninstalled Norton Internet Security 2012 and i have had the longest period of time (2 weeks so far) with out BSOD's.

Has anyone else had problems with Norton Internet Security 2012?

9. Sagar Jacky

Sagar Jacky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I've been running NIS 2012 since it was released 4-5 months ago and haven't had any problem whatsoever. In fact I find it very useful.

10. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    OBVIOUSLY the new ram is bad, or it wasn't clipped into place properly. That was an easy one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.