Official Sony Vaio F Series Owners Thread *Part 6*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaioUserf11

VaioUserf11 Newbie

Reputations:
    anyone installed the intel 7260 wifi adapter on the f1?

2. ygaurav

ygaurav Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi All

I have a F11 sony vaio laptop which I bought in 2010 and it is getting really slow to use. I am looking to buy SSD drive and then install windows 10 on it when it is out next week. My question is, as this laptop is very old, is there any special SSD I need to buy.

Will this SSD work?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT2...e=UTF8&qid=1438085260&sr=8-2&keywords=256+ssd

thanks a million in advance.

regards
    Gaurav

3. Rican919

Rican919 Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed this same 512GB SSD on mine, got it on sale during Amazon Prime day. Works perfectly, benchmarks put it at 9 times faster read/write than my stock 750GB 7200RPM drive. Bootup/Shutdown is lightning fast and I noticed a dramatic improvement in performance (gaming and video editing). I think it comes with free cloning software so you can get yourself setup pretty quickly. Gave my trusty Vaio F a breath of new life. You'll enjoy it.

EDIT: I also purchased a USB3.0 conversion kit (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XQLRIQY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01) to use that stock 750GB HDD as an external storage drive. It's read/write benchmarked faster, as well. Due to the much better SSD as the OS drive.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  4. noliveira

noliveira Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone with Windows 10 running on vaio F11 or 12 ???

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  5. Enigma_86

Enigma_86 Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a Sony vpc-f215fx. It came upgraded with 8gb of ram. I have updated to Windows 10 without much issue. I recently started thinking about upgrading it some since it is getting older. I have read of people putting up to 16gb ram. Does anyone know if this can be done?

6. noliveira

noliveira Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone with a vpcf11, vpcf12 who has updated to wiindows 10. Seems there´s some issues with the gt330m drivers.

7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  8. noliveira

noliveira Newbie

Reputations:
    Updated today my VPCF12 to Windows 10, had to install some drivers manually, but everything is working fine.

9. Amit Sinha

Amit Sinha Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi ,
    I recently I bricked my VPCF121FX while updating BIOS, The windows crashed in between and I am stuck with the same problem that of "djniti" whom you helped. If it is possible can you send me the BIOS image as the link to the depositfiles is not working. That would be a great help.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  10. fbchoc

fbchoc Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi I have another BIOS question. I bought a crucial mx200SSD which is SED (self encrypting drive) all I need to do is set up the ATA HDD password and the drive contents will be secure in the event of theft, etc.

However the BIOS menu does not show an option to set HDD password. Is it possible?
    My BIOS version is R0180Y9 VAIO F13.

I suspect SONY chose not to include this option to prevent users setting a HDD password for some reason. Is there a way to unlock this feature or will I have to accept I cannot protect my data?

The HDD password is not to be confused with BIOS password. There is a BIOS password option in the menu that prevents someone using the machine but an ATA password is on the disk itself so that even if the disk is taken out, it cannot be accessed without the password.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.