Official Sony Vaio F Series Owners Thread *Part 6*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alfaunits

alfaunits Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

This is a complete video on opening the VAIO VPC F1 series (including yours)
    EDIT: Ah, I only have VAIO S series link :( Google VAIO VPCF1 Disassemly, there is am amazing video for it! All to the finest details shown.

What I am not sure is whether the thermal paste would make any difference... or it could be something else giving me a headache

Fishon likes this.
  2. doraemon801

doraemon801 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Give it a new thermal paste. If no good, then you can try applying a new fan.
    I do not undersand how you could just lift the cooler off the cpu, there are four screw which lock the cooling pipes on the cpu....

3. alfaunits

Reputations:
    I am not lifting it from the CPU (that part is fixed, yes), but the orange thins have nothing holding them.

4. doraemon801

Reputations:
    orange thins? you mean the two heat pipes have detached from the cpu plates!?
    you have a picture to show or something?

5. alfaunits

Reputations:
    No, those heatpipes are not screwed anyway. The things on the exhaust, at the end (things for the dissipation, not those that conduct heat)

6. doraemon801

Reputations:
    You meant the vents. Those shouldn't be a problem if they are not blocked by dust. Hopefully, the new thermal paste would work, and remember to remove the old paste on the cpu chip before apply new one, sometimes ethanol helps with ease of removal.

7. alfaunits

Reputations:
    I am surprised that there is literally not a single visible dust particle in there, it is pristine clean, i.e. it remained clean since I last opened it.
    I will change the termal paste and see. Not sure what else I could try actually :) The CPU is heating up at 80*C, so either it is overheating because it is "bad", and can't be helped, or it is overheating because the heat transfer isn't working.

8. synthelectric

synthelectric Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello!
    I would like to update my status after living with my vaio for 4 more years.

First of all my vpc-f11-s1eb is still going strong.
    I installed a caddy and an SSD and it literally kicks ass (2014).
    I replaced the keyboard for a backlit one ( probably the best upgrade after the SSD).
    The holes that I drilled in 2011 made it run a tad colder and quieter and no more than the usual dust assimilates internally.

It is still too loud but I know it is on wherever I am!

I use it mainly for developing and some media (no 3d) AND it can play steam streaming games with ease!!

Comparing it to today's models by Dell or HP and anything with dual core i5s and some i7s with simple HDDs, I can easily say that it is still a strong contestant and I can see me only replacing it when the Earth gets hotter.

:)

EDIT: The little plastic doors that I had at the bottom plastic cover are closed for 2 years.

Fishon likes this.
  9. doraemon801

Reputations:
    Yeah I remember someone drilled hole on the F1 a few years back. Glad you are doing well with it still. We are also eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade, not bad at all!

10. duna

duna Notebook Guru

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.