Official Sony Vaio F Series Owners Thread *Part 6*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    Keep in mind the design of the VAIO vs. the amount of fans to use. Our machines have three intakes on the bottom. Only two of them are accessible to the fans. Of those two, one still cannot get full fan coverage. The fan has to be slightly back.

So, what would the point of the 3rd fan be other than to cool the case, which probably has no benefit?

2. Bellzemos

Bellzemos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a F13 series VAIO and am now decidig between the U2 and U3 too. Does the U2 have the speed control too (like the U3)? I would set mine to minimum because I need quiet for the recording. How about the warranty, a year or two?

3. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I still need to know why anyone needs an active cooling base for the Fxx. This is not an overheating Dell or MacBook. Having more fans certainly doesn't make the situation quieter and it adds to the power load. I use a cooling mat (unpowered) when sitting the F11 on my lap, or in hot weather, but regardless the F11 never runs hot even when gaming.

Oh I do have the larger battery, which raises the back and therefore allows smoother airflow. That's all the fan base does, get more air to the underneath. I bet anyone can have their system run cooler just by RAISING the underneath off the table a bit.

4. Bellzemos

Reputations:
    That is very true. My gals Lenovo laptop got clogged with dust after some time and started shuting down because of the overheating. I didn't know how to clean it but when we put something under the laptop (two pens for example) it wouldn't shutdown no matter how hot. Later she bought a cooling pad and after some time I finally found this great site and asked what to do (on the Lenovo part of the forum). And found out that her laptop has a little "door" to the vent - all I had to do was remove 2 screws and clean the vent and the outtake hole. Then the Lenovo run quietly and it wasn't hot no more. I wish VAIOs had the conventialitiy of such simple-to-clean ventialtion system.

Anyway, I will try and clean it myself, as you guys said. I'm still afraid but will try it anyway. And I'm thinking of buying the cooling pad to keep it even quieter and cooler - and probably even cleaner for a longer time. I hope that a cooling pad is not a waste of money... I don't really know. :eek:

5. stefiman

stefiman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please, do you have any guide on how to get to the fan? I cannot find anything online...
    EDIT: got it! :D

6. Bellzemos

Reputations:
    Now I'm thinking about maiking a simple aluminium frame for my F13, one that will just keep the laptop one inch or three centimeters above the table. No vents, just a simple frame with little legs for support... Maybe I should also attach a net underneat it to stop as much dust as possible from going into the laptop in the first place. But maybe thst is not such a good idea since the cold air will also have difficulty going in... Well, first of all I have to clean it. Sigh.

7. Trancedellic

Trancedellic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    They thing the cooling pad will do wonders and the temps will drastically drop. Like I said before, the temps will only drop a few degrees.

Cleaning it will really do wonders with CPU and GPU tems. In full load(games) I had 100 degrees GPU and 95 degrees CPU. Now I have ~60 CPU and 60-65 GPU.

I have the pad for sitting in bed, for my legs..cool breeze :D

8. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    you can make even 5cemtimeters. and net should be fine just dont put a vacuum cleaner`s filter:) and clean dust under laptop frequently as whole table too. put at least 1 carpet on the all or floar. and that`s it.

9. Bellzemos

Reputations:
    I don't understand this, please tell me what you mean here. Thank you! :)

10. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.