Official Sony Vaio F Series Owners Thread *Part 6*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trancedellic

Trancedellic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have U2. It's nice cuz I can stay now in bed and it's easier to use it on desk imo.

Anyway, if your laptop is overheating because of dust, any cooler won't do much. With my laptop cleaned I get like 3-4 degrees less. So don't expect much.

2. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    I would go for the U2. The U3 is too big imo. If your VAIO is overheating, you need to clean the fan.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

3. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    To make this clear, the F1X DOES NOT OVERHEAT! It can not be made to do so even under heavy rednering (unless sat on a pillow..) If it is overheatng it is because the cooling system vent is clogged with dust.

4. MelodyMaster

Reputations:
    I gained 15 degrees cleaning my F11; and in fact I reduced the operating temperature by over 30 Celsius on my water-cooled Q9450 when I cleaned the radiator.

5. fernandes

fernandes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you open your F11 to do it or just used a vacuum on the vent? I wonder how hard it is to open the bottom of the F1.

6. MelodyMaster

Reputations:
    I opened it, AND opened the fan cage to physically pick out dustballs and lint from the back of the vent and stuck betwen the fan blades. They would never, ever, haved removed themselves from the fan cage however much one blew from the outside.

The Q9450 got so clogged because one could not access the side of the cooling fins between the radiator and fans without draining the system, disconnecting two water lines, removing the radiator assembly, and completely taking it apart. I prevented that from being a future problem simply by reversing the fans so the dust would be sucked against the outside of the radiator housing. Likewise the main problem with the F's cooling is that dust carried by the air flow comes in through multiple unfiltered intakes, passes through the computer, and ends up against the inside of the cooling fins. A good solution would be to find out how to reverse the fan, so the dust would mainly collect against the outside of the now-intake vent. I can see no reason why doing so would reduce overall cooling efficiency.

(Edit) I guess that would mean that air heated by the fins would be blown through the system, rather than cooler outside air.

7. stefiman

stefiman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advices. I'll go with the U2 and clean it.

8. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    U3 is wider than laptop. U2 is smaller than laptop and barely fit. If I could change mine U2 on U3 I would do it. Because I can put rest of "wideness" n the left side of laptop.

9. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I third the U2. Bought it after Anseio recommended it and I love it!

Also, I would recommend opening up the fan and cleaning it - even a light coating of dust will drastically increase your temperatures (i know from experience 8D)

10. doraemon801

doraemon801 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have a U2 and a U3, but I have to recommend U3, it is wider and has 3 fans instead of 2 in U2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.