Official Sony Vaio F Series Owners Thread *Part 6*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jopty

Jopty Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    T U, Sir! ;-) Is price in £779 to high for VPCF13Z03 model which was floor item [display item in the store, showroom etc]? Comes with 90 days warranty. No original box. EbaY UK listing.

2. Jopty

Jopty Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    @Melody thank U. I also meant saying "old technology" not only backlit but also IPS displays which are used on S 15' and F new Sony series. They have the same price about $1200 as EU old F series [refurbished ones] on eBay UK.

3. doraemon801

doraemon801 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    To me, that's a definite no deal. search by typing "Sony VAIO VPC-F13Z1 Notebook Laptop BRAND NEW IN BOX&SEALED similar to VPC-F23Z1" , this one is brand new sealed and has more RAM. Hurry, it ends in a few days time and Good Luck!

4. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Personally, if I were choosing a laptop by its display quality, I'd get an F2X, which to me doesn't look ugly, but rather has looks that match its capabilities. And other models may match its excellent display, but none exceed it at the price. There's no equivalent panel available for retrofit on the F1, I don't believe. Most laptops don't even have style as good as the F2. If one wants a really pretty computer with also a good display then I guess there're MacBooks.

(Bit rushed, my usual excellent grammar and sentence construction seems to have flown the coop.) :eek:

5. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    *seem

HA!

:p

6. Bellzemos

Bellzemos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi! I've had a F13 series VAIO laptop for a year now. In that time it became pretty noisy so I'm thinking about dusting it off with an air compressor or a bicycle pump. I would disassemble it but it's too complicated to do it. Do you think that dusting its holes with an air compressor or a bicycle pump is a good idea? Also, do you think I should buy a cooling pad to make it quieter? I need quiet to record my music. Thank you for any ideas/comments!

7. Trancedellic

Trancedellic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You can't clean it properly without open it. The cpu fan must be cleaned too and you can't do that by just pumping air.
    Try to open it, it's not that complicated. And the cooling pad will not make your laptop quieter, maybe the noise will increase, depending on the cooling pad :)

8. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It is one of the most easy-open laptop ever. Just pay attention on Wi-Fi switch.And don't forget to take away ODD bay and HDD.

My VAIO was much quieter with NotePal U2 cooler. But its fans must not work. It makes silent by lowering internal laptop's fan speed letting it suck air easier.

9. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    As Trancedellic said, you MUST open it. The dust builds up INSIDE the fan housing, against the cooling fins, all blowing at it will do is push the dust back into the fan well, where build up is already making it noisy, and it will immediately go up against the grill again. You must open the laptop, take out two of the screws on the housing, bend back the cover slightly, and pick out and blow the dust out directly.

10. Bellzemos

Bellzemos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you all, really! But I'm too scarred to do it. I will probably take it to the Sony service - where I bought it a year ago. They said they will do it for 30 Euros. Do you think that they will clean it properly or just blow the dust from the outside? I hope they won't broke anything... And how often should I clean it, is once a year OK? Again, thank you!

PS: About the cooling pad - I had this one in mind: http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=130. Do you think that it will help the VAIO stay cool and quiet for a longer time (after the cleaning of course)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.