Official Sony Vaio F Series Owners Thread *Part 6*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's about a Bluray player not being found, with an error identical with what you're describing, and it's on the Homepage for my F11 - seems relevant to me.. :) A PC is a PC, whatever its form.

2. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The GT520m is an entry-level chip that competes with integrated graphics (it's physically about the same as half of the 540m chip in some other F models), which might explain your performance issues. Set the graphics to low and play at 720p or lower for best results :)

3. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My F11 does full HD with the lid closed via HDMI. Maybe new video card drivers fixed this?

4. MelodyMaster

Reputations:
    Just tested, mine still drops to 720. It's the latest SONY-supplied driver; reluctant as I am to do so I'll get the driver from Nvidia..

5. MelodyMaster

Reputations:
    There's nothing wrong with Cold Cathode Flourescent Displays, it's still the preferred light source for scanners because of its excellent spectral range. LEDs actually have poorer colorimetry. The benefits of LED only occur when THREE LEDS are used, one for each colour, that are then balanced in software or firmware. This is only available on the Premium display (a $600 option on Dells or VAIOs) Yes, LEDs use less power, produce less RF noise, and tend to not colour shift after years of use, but they are NOT inherenty better for display quality. I have two similar models of LG 24" display, the only difference is that one uses LED, the other CCFL and the colour is not as nice on the LED: colder with less accurate flesh tones, after all possible adjustments.

6. Jopty

Jopty Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I'm sir. But also with design and style. New F2 is just ugly. Old F1 is sexy and sleek. I don't care about 2gen processors or 3D displays since I'm not a gamer or media fanatic, but display must provide good quality picture since I love to play with my laptop being in bed or in armchair where is alway difficult to seat or lie straight right. Also gamut quality important. Thanks.

7. doraemon801

doraemon801 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The problem is that according to people say in this forum, all the F11/F12/F13 vaio from US all have the glossy display with regarded as bad viewing angles and other pproblems. Only the EU vaio has the premium matte although it has the gery bar underneath i must say. The F2X series are said to have the best display so far (even better than F13 EU if you choose the "premium screen" when purchasing).

8. Trancedellic

Trancedellic Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It's still a dedicated video card and you can't compare it with one integrated. The bad thing about it is that the memory is on 64 bits.

I have 310M( 512 Mb Ram) and the games I play are running fine and not on low details.

[​IMG]

I had performance problems when my CPU+GPU were hot, but if OPs laptop is new .. or if you want to play Battlefield 3 it's normal to have low performance :D
    Anyway, 520M or 310M are not for games, at least not for latest games that demands higher graphic power.

9. Jopty

Jopty Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Exactly! That's why I'm here!

@Hayte
    @all the guys here with F1xxxx for EU

Help!
    Asap!

Model: VPCF12Z03
    Model: VPCF12S1E/B
    Model: VPCF13Z1E/B
    Model: VPCF12M0E/B

All are listed on eBay currently in UK.

As I was provided with information - the EU matte display was the next model:

Sharp LQ164M1LA4A B

Can't check the display model, since sellers on eBay are so stupid.

Please, owners of these models from UK & Ireland especially, verify screen model number and if it is manufactured by Sharp [matte display] please!

Which model had "grey bottom line" problem?

Asap!
    TX to all of U guys for concern!

10. doraemon801

doraemon801 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    VPCF1XZxxx and VPCF1XSxxx has matte screen but not VPCF1XMxxx
    All EU matte screen has grey bar at the bottom, so be warned!
    I think people have confirmed the part no. previously already, you need to check back previous posts or ask someone else here.

P.S. F13 has usb 3.0 and better graphics card than F12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.