Official Sony Vaio F Series Owners Thread *Part 6*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I thought it w is impossible to buy FULL-HD with only 512MB of video RAM but if you did then it was a HUGE mistake. You could add only 50$ and have great boost for gaming. Only if you don't play games at all I could justify buying 512MB GPU.

Anyway I suggest you to buy HyperX 1600 Mhz PnP. I doubt you will feel a difference with 1866MHz besides it has bigger fail rates. But I suggest you to ask this question in a F2x 2D thread. This is F1x thread.

2. dr.pratik

dr.pratik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    thanks for your reply.
    I rarely game if i get time out of my work.
    so thats fine.
    I will talk to sony customer care for this.

3. Bellzemos

Bellzemos Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ doraemon801: Yes, it's the Seagate, now I remember! Would you be so kind and enable Windows Sounds to test if the sounds click with the mouse or if there is delay on your machine too?

@ James D: I've read his posts and... I don't know. I use my VAIO to record music as well and I guess that if I had a faulty HDD that wouldn't be possible. Should I update my HDD firmware anyway? Is that absolutely safe to do? Or should I check my HDD with HD Tune? And how safe is this?

@ MelodyMaster: Hm, I don't see anything special in the Task Manager when I click on folders in Windows Explorer. Maybe explorer.exe process gets 1% CPU for a second and then goes back to 0%. Could it be a soundcard driver? But I have the driver downloaded and installed stragiht from the Sony support site if I remember correctly, so that shouldn't be a problem too.

Thank you all for help!

4. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It should be something dramatically huge to affect performance of multicore 6gig machine with 7200 rpm HDD.

Try to check firmware using HDTune. I am sure there is no need to scan for bad sectors. I doubt it is a problem.

I believe it is either OS bug or... HDD firmware. I have no idea if it is safe but 2 people have just performed it.

5. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Any 4GB stick of DDR3-1333 SDRAM will work. My machine has Samsung memory. You can wait and see what the stick is in yours and purchase the same brand or you can go with Kingston or Crucial.

6. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Delayed System Sounds has been an issue since Windows 3.0. When a system request is made, first the drive is accessed to get the sound file, which is then cached (that's why they're such small files), this is to avoid having to access the drive during whatever function is being called upon. Then while the function is occuring the cache is read to the soundcard. The drive is doing its job, loading the system function, and the sound file is too tiny to stress the drive at all. What causes the delay is a hang, either a buggy soundcard driver, or system interrupt initiated by the request but not directly for accessing the cache, or the CPU is busy and too many CPU cycles are devoted to other tasks. The delay can even be caused by intrusive antivirus, or the DivX player which sometimes doesn't close properly and continues to take priority for sound playback, even though there's no onscreen display. Also a third-party sound codec may be on higher priority than Windows own wave decoder, and the delay is caused by finding the connection to the correct codec.

Audio stuttering is a completely different issue; the drive is unable to keep up with the streaming audio and video and/or gameplay data, despite having priority.

7. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I learned something. thank you!

8. x400

x400 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys

I recently purchased a new F series, vpcf2390s (I had an FW before but my monitor broke so... :))

anyway for some reason I thought the wireless card was a 5ghz one in this thing and im pretty disappointed that it isnt -_-

I read that "trancefreak" was able to install a Intel Centrino 6200 into his F Series but Im just wondering if anyone else has tried swapping their card? and if anyones used a different model? (i was thinking the 6300)

Or if there's a how to for our specific laptop? (im used to taking my FW apart but I just want to make sure im 100% before opening this one up and ive never swapped a wifi card either but i imagine its just plug n play?)

Thanks

(ive tried using the search function btw but for some reason its not working @ all for me)

9. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just look at the previous page in this (F1) thread....(!) Any Mini PCI card will work, for any function. ...In any modern laptop. And the F22 thread would be better, but the advice will be the same.

10. x400

x400 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thank you very much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.