Official Sony Vaio F Series Owners Thread *Part 6*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome news! One quick thought...be sure that there is no residue on the blades that could cause the dust to really stick to them. What I am trying to say is that any time you use a liquid on plastic, (even alcohol) it can leave just enough residue that you will always get a small buildup of future dust. The problem is that the small fan blades may be damaged if you wipe hard with fingers or scrub with a q-tip, so you may just have to leave it "as it is" now. Hopefully, all the alcohol evaporated without leaving any dust-collecting foreign film behind and you will be fine. If so, the vacuum trick has worked well for me.

Again, CONGRATS!

2. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I hope they have infrared soldering station because they will have to take away GPU chip and upgrade vram chips.. or just add some vram chips to motherboard because I assume there must be 2 unused places for them.
    As like there are TVTuner slot and Debug port and place for External SPI Flash (External BIOS?) and some other unused pins.

Yesterday I fully disassembled motherboard and looked at her. It is very good that everywhere you can see description of every port and chip.
    Congrats Mango! I am glad that decided to remind your problem yesterday:)

3. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Alienware !Wish money wasn't the problem.

Reputations:
    Ok Ive got a question.. what are the differences between the different F series?

like mine is VPCF131FM and I see people calling theirs F11.. was there or is there a big difference between the different model number in the f series?

also my 310m gpu... is that just a down clocked 330? if so is there a way to bump it up to register as a 330?

I got a friend that wants to trade me a Alienware M17X-R1 for my laptop.. he has dual video card and..hell i forget..lulz.. is it a worth while deal?
    Ive been reading that the R1 and the R2 both use the same exact housing.. the bottom bezel and the top bezel are the same on both laptops.. and if i traded Id buy a new R2 mother board next year... what do you guys think.. trade or no trade?

4. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Alienware !Wish money wasn't the problem.

Reputations:
    125x85 Infrared SMT SMD BGA Rework Station IRDA Welder [T862] - $359.99 : easy-motorcycle.com supplies Good deal?

here is a video of it at work. http://vimeo.com/4913519

5. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    Different F1X models came out at different times with slight design improvements/revisions. F11 came out and Jan10, F12 in Jul10, and F13 in Sep10. Complete redesign F2X came out in Jan11.

Primary differences were GPU and USB3.0

6. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
  7. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    With modular mass production things like laptop and desktop PC motherboards are considered single units, they are never repaired in the field but just replaced. If a motherboard IS considered salvageable it goes right back to the manufacturer or its representative for component replacement using very specialized equipment. A motherboard costs maybe $90 to manufacture, but sells for over $600. It's best to either give the laptop to a Sony repair centre, which will cost about $500 to repair, or scrap the computer and try to get another scrap computer from ebay. One that's physically damaged.

8. _Wolverine_

_Wolverine_ Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How do I clean my keyboard?
    Do you use some cleaning product?

9. James D

James D Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I personally take it off from laptop then hold upside down so everything fall from it. Then take wet wipes for cleaning LCD and wipe keyboard.
    You can use alcohol spray and wipe or microfiber cloth or just pure alcohol on wipe or microfiber.

10. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Doesn't work for cat dander, that just glues it into place. I use a compressed air can to blow out as much as possible, then a vacuum cleaner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.