Official Sony Vaio F Series Owners Thread *Part 6*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Alienware !Wish money wasn't the problem.

Reputations:
  2. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    But the F1x chipset, the technical framework, doesn't support CPU graphics. For performance separate graphics without shared memory and CPU cycles is superior anyway, and the F-series is a BUDGET performance laptop, without unneeded complexity and OEM cost.

3. MelodyMaster

Reputations:
    The problem is that each and every folder in the Program Files directories is reset to Read-only, thus new installs can't put new files into these directories or update existing ones. This is NOT a UAC problem, but something else entirely that hearkens back to DOS-level file access. Indeed sometimes the problem can be solved by booting to Command mode and changing the directory permission through DOS prompts for each parent folder and subfolder. (attrib -H -R -A -S) This is a long job, which frequently is undone afer the next reboot. And this bug is unique to Win7.

Oh and another side-effect of the bug is that it causes regressive folder creation, the system can't write to a temporary folder, so it creates a new one. I have over 200 "Application Data" folders on the media server, each a subfolder of the one above.

James, the F-series technically supports clean installs; you can run XP, Vista, or Win7, and when it comes, Win8. Corporate Sony and the HUMANS at the end of the phone line at Sony don't support anything but Win7 from the recovery discs. Right? Because, as I said, they otherwise don't know what the heck the system is filled up with

James, again, it is a MICROSOFT bug, not Sony's problem. And indeed the VAIO doesn't seem to ENCOUNTER the folder permissions bug, so when they say "Install from the recovery discs" they are actually giving the best solution... I've been in IT and building computers and maintaining Networks since 1982 and have my MCSE. One thing I've learned is to not fool with my system if I don't know what I'm doing, and that if someone else messes up their computer I'm going to charge them through the nose to repair it, because no two disasters are the same, each is a prolonged journey of discovery.

They will support THEIR computers, with THEIR software, not a Magical Mystery Tour of clean installs and unknown drivers. Any forum FAQ on clean installs etc. includes the dislcaimer that the modifications are not covered under warranty. Well of course not. And a Clean install is a modification.

The same after market service applies to diswashers, microwaves, TVs, and so on. You put in an unbranded Magnetron that then blows up and destroys the microwave, it is YOUR fault, and GE, Panasonic etc. have no obligation whatosever to help you. You put in your own install of Windows and drivers, and the computer then blows up, guess what I'm about to say.....

1% of users may have a legitimate complaint against Sony service, the other 19% (using your figure) have made their OWN mess of the computer. I mean, it is so frustrating, and annoying, to read post after post saying "Oh I did a clean install, now the wireless won't work," or "I can't install Nero or Sage" then they complain about Sony support. It's not Support's job to figure out EXACTLY how you've messed up your system.

I use the factory install on my F11, and on my 2000 T23, and both have worked flawlessly ever since, no problems, anything will install, and they run fast and reliably. Is the tiny, tiny gain in memory space (I won't say speed) of "Clean Install" REALLY worth losing factory support and the stability of your computer?

And the F-series is notably free of bloatware. I ordered mine with Fresh Start, and not a single thing in there, including the marvelously useful VAIO utilities, is unnecessary.

4. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome and perfectly true post MM!

I will tell you that I now "take care" of 17 F11s, F12s and F13s. ALL of them have clean installs of Windows 7 Professional. I installed the OS AFTER doing a complete set of recovery disks via Vaio Care. After installing the new OS, I used the recovery disks to correctly install all drivers and neccessary utilities in the correct order. I simply pop in the disk, choose all of the needed items and the disk installs them in the correct order, including reboots when needed. Simple!

I also have replaced all hard drives with SSDs. Other than that, these laptops have been superior in every way. We have no problems. If fact, my 18 month old VPCF1190X has been shut down and rebooted a total of 102 times and still boots to full go in 23 seconds and shuts down completely in 8 seconds. I run with 46 processes at startup and never go over 60 processes, even when working in several programs.

Clean computers are happy computers!

The Vaio F series has been superb in every way. Never have I encountered a computer product that has been THIS flawless for this long. Usually, if we purchase 5 or 6 computers, we can expect at least one to have problems over an 18 month span. Here we have 17, and I have had NO issues other than a few minor viruses due to user error and a bad driver from a Brother printer that was solved by simply uninstalling the driver from the Brother disk and installing the digitally signed MS version through Windows Update.

Just my thoughts.

5. MelodyMaster

Reputations:
    Exactly. Use the recovery discs for native software. My heart was in my throat when I was having trouble reinstalling after my F11 was demolished by that virus (because the virus had actually affected the hidden partition..). I can't IMAGINE how people can be so casual about saving the recovery partition or making the Recovery DVDs.

One can set up the computer however one likes, to fill a legitimate need, but if what one is trying doesn't work, then one can go back to factory install, both to PROPERLY troubleshoot the computer, and if necessary to present a kosher system to Sony for warranty or assistance. If, and ONLY if, the computer is malfunctioning under factory install, do you KNOW for sure that the hardware is defective. (if it's not obvious, like smoke from the keyboard.. ;) )

Considering that the F11 was the first laptop I'd bought in 10 years, and was way, way over my budget, I don't see in retrospect how I could have possibly made a wiser choice. In production of the laptop the money went into the right places for size, performance, weight, and cooling efficiency, the budget compromises (other than the display) do not materially detract at all from its performance or reliability, or just pure Joy of using this system. Let us not forget that the full keyboard was a new innovation at the time for the F11 and one other brand's systems. A lot of my buying decision for the F11 was based upon the success of its predecessor, the FW490/590.

6. Willscary

Reputations:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1 rep!

7. Willscary

Reputations:
    "A legitimate need" is correct. We use them as business machines at our church. I do not consider this a gaming machine, but more of a business machine. the 4 cores allows excellent performance even when various office documents and email are open, the database programs are running and the security is sucking resources. All of these machines are run in Windows classic mode with no aero effects and a plain black desktop. the 8GB of memory allows these machines to operate very efficiently. They are quiet for a quad core i7 and they run cool when sert up in this way.

I am a minimalist who values the ability to run multiple programs at once. the F series truly excells in this respect.

Again, just my opinion.

8. MelodyMaster

Reputations:
    I use the F11 for video editing for myself and clients, sometimes HD video capture, assembling video and powerpoint presentations, ripping CDs, DVDs, and Blurays, rendering various sources to H264 or Mpeg2, posting to YouTube, authoring DVDs and Blurays, cleaning up audio (with an external DA for playback), Excel databases, primary internet use and Email, and occasionally gaming (though I have a water-cooled desktop for that).. I can't see how I could improve upon factory settings to safely encompass improved performance for ALL these things - while maintaining stability and relative quietness. (there is a GPU overclocking profile for gaming..)

Every glitch or issue with using 64-bit Win7 for audio work has been overcome, and as I've mentioned the F11 doesn't develop the Directory lockout bug that keeps occuring with succesive installs on the Shuttle E8400 Media server. (That used to run XP flawlessly and was the audio editor prior to the F11.)

I was glad I bought the system with a 256Gig SSD, which was a bargain at the time for $240 extra over an included 500 Gig 5400 rpm. I now use a hard drive in the DVD slot pretty well permanently with an Esata adpator to run the BD burner externally, and I've updated to 8 Gigs ram. The only improvement I could make would be to buy an F23 3d - which was not an option two years ago. And that would cost me $2800 WITHOUT having the professional Premiere CS4 that was included in the $1840 cost of my F11. The F23 has the advantage of using an ATI card, which with its mirroring (non-cloned overlay output) is WAY better for editing.

I guess not being rich helps; I'm not going to fool with a system that was intended to generate income.

9. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Alienware !Wish money wasn't the problem.

Reputations:
    All right! I figured out that the problem with my weird battery message ,
    The battery checker in the utilities was the culprit.. any way to get my oem battery to work with this program..?

10. MelodyMaster

Reputations:
    I recall the solution being simply to fully discharge the battery to the point where the computer shuts down then recharge it overnight. That will reset the battery life counter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.