1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Official Sony Vaio F Series Owners Thread *Part 6*

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Artemiy

Artemiy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So it seems that I have another troublesome power supply (or the charging port has broken again - I don't have the equipment to test it, unfortunately). Would chargers for F21/F23 and such work with the F13? It's a bit hard to find genuine F1 series chargers in my parts these days (F2 too for that matter but some third-party ones list those models as supported ones).

I've been using a VGP-AC19V36 one for the past few years, it's the only compatible one I found back when the original one went bust due to the faulty charging port.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  2. James D

James D Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Who would knew that this thread will be once get back to life again) Wow, that was almost 5 years ago when I got this legendary laptop and, Gosh, I was so another person! Thinking different, feeling different. It's a flashback to recall this again... nice feeling.
    Now back to topic
    Yeah, as Doraemon told you there is no such thing as working 920XM in VAIO F1x. Sony banned it and that's a shame. Although it's true that Clarcksfield Quad-Cores are really hot. And not just in VAIO F.
    Yeah, non-Premium LCD in this laptop has really weak brightess. That is what I didn't like a lot. And I also had a feeling that it was dimming with time. Anytime I installed fresh Windows it became as bright again.
    Perhaps you just need to disable Auto-Brightness and that's it.

3. Artemiy

Artemiy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I know that feel. That's when I got it and I've been through a lot with my trusty F13, only having bought a new laptop a month ago (and still mostly using the Vaio). I've replaced a lot of the parts during these years, but it survived longer than I thought it would and it's still brilliant, handling anything I've thrown at it besides the latest games maybe, but I'm not much of a gamer in the first place. The F-series were absolutely brilliant and the only real problem with them was the build/plastic quality which was a bit so-so to be honest - or maybe it was just mine.

But yeah, so many good memories.

4. doraemon801

doraemon801 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree with James, even the standard quad cpu (45w) is very hot. Apart from the hotness, the loudness of the fan is a big problem too.
    So I recently purchased a i7-640m ($60) and will use that instead when I am not doing encoding anymore. It should be cooler, quieter and drain less battery. Saw this cpu with 9w at idle mode in a Z series compare to my 840qm at 17.8w currently, pretty impressive.

I once used my cousin's VPC-EB and my mum's SVE-17 adapter and they worked, eventhough they are 90watts only. So as long as you can plug it in, it will work.

I think I will give my F at least another year or two, hearing lastest tech skylake with iris pro, sata express speed, PCIe 3.0 support, DDR4 RAM is very tempting indeed

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  5. invader7474

invader7474 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys.

I have a VAIO SVF1521WST/B and I lost my recovery partition and I have no recovery DVD. Can someone has same laptop update recovery dvd images somewhere. I searched everywhere but can't find it. I can handle the update place.

And Where can i find my own Windows 8 key.

6. Fishon

Fishon Knowledge Is King

Reputations:
    Nice to see you still around and a hello to you. Mine is still humming along without issues and I use it daily for work.

James D likes this.
  7. BabyShot

BabyShot Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, I recently got my new Sony VAIO SVF15215CLB, but my display is really bad, so I was looking for a new one. and I found this http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-...Full-HD-LCD-LED-Assembly-LCD/32223204733.html , I want to know if this screen is good or any advice(another option or something) u can give me. I'm looking for a IPS panel FHD, I dont really need a touchscreen. I'm a gamer, and I wanted to design on Illustrator, Corel Draw and that stuff
    Thank you a lot.

Pd. Sorry about my english, is really bad, but I'm improving it (I'm from Perú so...).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  8. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Guys another F11 owner here, who still uses it daily. Now running Windows 10 Technical Preview.