1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Official Sony Vaio F Series Owners Thread *Part 6*

Discussion in 'Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

It is time for a new F series thread.

This popular budget priced performance laptop has been discussed at a very high volume since January 2010. Due to this high volume, five previous threads have been closed out prior to this one. They can be found here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/son...fficial-sony-vaio-f-series-owners-lounge.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sony-owners-lounge-forum/464372-official-sony-vaio-f-series-owners-lounge-part-2-a.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/son...io-f-series-i5-i7-owners-thread-part-3-a.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/son...io-f-series-i5-i7-owners-thread-part-4-a.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/son...io-f-series-i5-i7-owners-thread-part-5-a.html

As the Sony Vaio F series has been so popular, several quick guides have been assembled by some very good-hearted members here. You can find a general F11 unification post here:

F11 Unification Post: Issues, Fixes, Tweaks, Reviews

2. Fishon

Fishon Knowledge Is King

3. Willscary

I have seen these before, but I have two reservations...

First, there are very few cool 1920x1080 wallpapers.

Second, I always worry about downloading something free like this...I always wonder about embedded malware. Have you used these with no problems? I kind of like the 2009 Vaio black one.

4. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Nope, these are safe. Well, at least the ones I downloaded are.

Hey, Fishon, what's that site where you got the Great Wave again? I got the koi pond as well, but want to check the images out again.

Oh, since we're talking wallpapers and what nots, I got this visualizer for Winamp called Plane9. It also sets up as a screensaver and has what I think is the perfect VAIO screensaver. Subtle and sexy, as seen here:
    Plane9 - Lines

5. jpride

jpride Notebook Evangelist

6. anseio

7. blackball

blackball Notebook Enthusiast

Hi all,

A strange request...

As some of you may rememer, I've been trying to upgrade my LCD from a single-lamp 1600x900 to a dual lamp FHD. For this I need the FHD LVDS cable that is difficult to find.

I did find an online seller that gets parts directly from Sony. However, they informed me that Sony requires a S/N to check compatibility. I'm worried that if I do give them my S/N, they will either cancel the order, or worse, substitute with the non-FHD cable (which I already have).

Here's the strange request: Is there anyone with a dual lamp FHD* laptop that'd be willing to give me their S/N so that I can complete the order? Not sure there are any privacy issues to be worried about here, so I understand if people are hesitant. But I'm a bit desperate at this point :p

* I think the non-dual lamp FHD versions would also be compatible, but just want to be safe...

8. Fishon

Fishon Knowledge Is King

9. jpride

jpride Notebook Evangelist

Am I remembering correctly that you are in the UK? Are you able to order from other European countries? On google, I see several German sites with it for sale, including on Amazon (they probably wouldn't ask for an S/N), and some other European countries. There are also some US sites but I haven't looked up their international shipping policies.

Edit: Here is one of the US companies that ship internationally. I don't know what kind of extra charges (customs, etc) may be involved: http://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/Sony,Laptop,Part,A1772164A.aspx

And German Amazon translated.

10. blackball

blackball Notebook Enthusiast

I'm in Greece. You may have a point with the Amazon one. We'll see how it plays out with the French shop I found first.

Delivery from sparepartswarehouse costs $49 (!) which is just too much. My final option will be to have it sent to a friend in the US, after which they can forward it to me :p

After all this, the upgrade better work :)

Thanks for the tips!

11. Veram

Veram Notebook Enthusiast

I have a question about F series case

Which material used on F series ? plastic or magnesium ?

12. Willscary

The case is plastic, but the machine as a whole is quite solid, in my opinion.

13. ZPerf

ZPerf Notebook Consultant

Wow, I was away just for a short time, and many interesting posts not to mention the switch to *Part 6*!

Some +reps to James D, anseio, jpride and Willscary for your posts on this fan RPM subject (for jpride and Willscary, the site is not allowing me to rep you for the moment, but I will do it as soon as possible).

In reply to jpride’s post:
    Jpride, I also consider your fan RPM a little bit higher than normal. I wanted to ask you about the conditions in which you checked that, but being away, others already asked some of the questions I wanted to ask, like the Power Plan used (especially the Minimum Processor State set), ... . Did you disable the C3/C6 CPU state in the BIOS ? Did you disable the C1E or EIST using i7 Turbo ? If I remember well, Willscary used to disable the C1E and EIST (more responsiveness versus lower temperatures).

In reply to Willscary’s post & James D’s post about Thermal Control Strategy:
    We already discussed about the VAIO Control Center’s Power Management->Power Options (Balanced Mode vs. Performance Mode vs. Silent Mode). See the post of Gandalf_The_Grey, the post of ReD2847, my post, and also in my post merged by notebookreview.com where I replied to Rottweiler concerning fan control.
    James D, I will add all this to my post about the noises (which I have to move to the new thread now).

I confirm that on the F12 there were only two options, while on my F13 there are three options like you posted. So I think the “Silent Mode” was added starting with F13.

I my case on lower CPU load, changing to “Silent Mode” affects fan RPM (especially how the fan speed is changing) (See my previous post).
    Also, you mentioned that on this settings the “temps can get out of control”. I’m using my notebook on this setting, and even when I push the CPU to 100% for several hours I have no problems. This strategy will not affect the cooling at high temperatures. When cooling is needed due to high temperature, the fan will blow at max speed whichever strategy is the currently active one! You mentioned that it throttles the CPU or that it affects the performance. I had no throttling issues so far and the performance looks right. Could you provide some links about that ? I would like to read more about the conditions in which others reported these issues. Thanks!

14. ZPerf

Blackball, if your new panel is a dual CCFL, you need the dual lamp FHD LVDS cable! Otherwise only one CCFL will be powered.
    EDIT: Assuming that the CCFLs are not directly connected to the inverter board.

15. Willscary

Awesome post!

+1 rep from me.

While I lurk here and read, I have not had much time to experiment. After seeing quick results, I came to a conclusion that is mirrored by your comments, but I have not had the time available to test it like you have.

Thank you ZPerf!

EDIT: This is in reply to the post 2 above this one...you replied to blackball while I was writing my post!

16. duna

duna Notebook Guru

Hello everybody!

Please guys, tell me something...

...when loading from hibernation, does yours HDs keeps on massive activity for several minutes?
    Is this a hibernation feature or can be avoided?

thanks

17. anseio

I would assume that there should be massive HDD activity when resuming from Hibernate. Hibernating is like Sleep, where the contents of your current state are written to memory. The difference is that Sleep has the contents written to RAM for FAST recall, while Hibernate has your contents written to the HDD, which can be a gig or more easy.

18. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

See also Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation_(computing)
    So normal.

19. ZPerf

On my notebook, to load the 8 GB RAM content from the HDD (because that is what’s happening when resuming from Hibernation) and to resume Windows it takes ~1.5 minutes.
    The HDD is a 7200 rpm drive, with an average 75 MiB/s read speed (103 MiB/s at innermost cylinder till 50 MiB/s at the disk outermost cylinder).
    Please note, that this is not the time till the logon screen appears, which is showing up after ~18-20 seconds.

So depending on how much RAM you have, how fast is your HDD, where exactly the hibernation file is located on the HDD your resume from Hibernation can take more or less then the time I have. But even in the worst case with the current hardware it should be less than 5 minutes.

EDIT: I forgot to add the compression to the points to consider, compression which is used when saving the RAM content to hibernation file. So my time is small because the 8 GB is very compressible (I booted 10 minutes before testing the hibernation speed for you, and run no memory intensive application).

20. duna

duna Notebook Guru

Thank you for posting your loading time FPerf.

My specs

RAM - 6 GB
    Disk speed - 5400 rpm

After loading from hibernation, the disk activity keeps on at 100% for about 3,5 min.

Seems like the main culprit is the prefetch service. To disable it is not a option so a faster HD will be palliative.