Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firedre

Firedre Newbie

Reputations:
    Thx!

I will give a feedback on the battery-life, if i'm done playing :D

About the screen, i have no comparison, but my desktop i have with the same res. on a 20' samsung is worse?

I find the screen (with the brightness fix) just georgenous (wrong spell i know...)

Give me a couple off days and i'll get back too you.

2. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Welcome fellow Dutchie!
    I have the same config as yours except the CPU.
    Your screen must be semi-gloss, because in Europe the matt screen is only available on the i7 configs.
    The screen is okay when calibrated (sorry Joe they couldn't change my vote on your poll).
    I have calibrated my screen with a Spyder3Elite and anybody is welcome to use my color profile:

Attached Files:

3. OoTLink

OoTLink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey Joe, I just wanted to let you know I double checked, and with a clean hard drive (and retail Windows 7), nothing happens when you hit F10.

4. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Wow, a significant post title. Is that a first? ;) Thanks for that & also for the reply!

So I presume that with the recovery partition deleted, when booting while pressing F8 > Advanced Boot Options > you don't have the highlighted Repair Your Computer option that can bring you to the Recovery Environment > Startup Repair, Command Prompt, System Image Recovery, etc, right?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Note that you get the Recovery Environment with the Windows 7 System repair CD disc (could be on a USB memory stick) or recovery discs or any Win 7 DVD. Don't forget to bring one of those when going far away from home since you deleted the recovery partition. :rolleyes:

5. zhabib

zhabib Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks... so, is it worth getting the F11 from the US (good old mailing address in Buffalo), or holding off to the end of June. I really want at least 1920x1080 as the x900 just isn't good enough.

6. MickyMax

MickyMax Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks ! ;)

7. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thank you for sharing your custom monitor profile for the 1080p semi glossy.

I added it to the Vaio_F_Series Monitor Profiles Roundup & US glossy vs. EU Premium Displays.

If any body else want to add their custom monitor profiles created with a colorimeter, just PM me with a link to your post. That's a nice thing to do as not everybody can afford a colorimeter.

And those who don't see the need to get one, well try one of these profiles to see the light. :rolleyes:

8. angeorge

angeorge Newbie

Reputations:
    So I just purchased a new VPC-F1190X and was just playing around with a few things when I noticed that in the Windows Event Viewer under Applications and Services Logs->Microsoft->Windows->Diagnostics-Performance->Operational that there are events from November 2009, which is strange to me since my laptop is a CTO that supposedly was built in April 2010.....does anyone have an idea as to why I might be seeing those events..Am I paranoid in thinking I might have got a refurb??

9. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Event Viewer shows that on my system too. It's most likely an artifact of testing the Windows build that was used to create the image that is used to load the computer. You're seeing remains of the prototype computer used to assemble the image. Quite fascinating actually!

Windows is not installed on new computers, it is simply copied as an image with appropriate drivers and utilities and prepared Registry directly onto a new boot drive. (Using a professional version of something like Norton Ghost.)

P.S. There WERE no F11s being sold in November....

10. Anthropomorphous

Anthropomorphous Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks. Been watching a month or so. Amazing stamina and focus here!
    Great to see such a dedicated enthusiastic crowd here. Lots of great input us potential buyers can just sit and drool over so thanks all for your time and effort.
    I am a potential buyer and looking forward to the refresh. So much so that I thought I'd journey into my nearest Sony Style (UK) today in Inverness (Scotland) to actually see an 'F' in the flesh but alas there were none. Just E series. I asked where they were and the man told me the stock was gone. I tried to get more info about them but I think I told him more (after reading this forum) than he told me about the June refresh. So I had a play with the track pad on the E series. It's a bit like a cats tongue :p Could probably adapt to that over time but that's just weird feeling. So anyway, come the refresh, I'm looking for an F I7 (Unless an I9 is included for the same current price as an I7 – Not sure I even understand the concept of the I9 – If an I7 Extreme is a 6 Core then what is an I9 ?) 6GB RAM, 500GB 7200 HDD, Premium Display (If that’s still an option in the UK after the refresh), Win 7 Ult/Pro (Not sure if the Ult features are worth my while yet) Bluray Reader, and Hopefully a DX11 GPU beit the same as the current E Series ATI or will Nvidia manage to squeeze in a DX11 Mobile by next month? USB3 also would be nice if they don’t sort out this lack of commitment (lack of enclosures) on the power over eSata (eSatap) Betamax saga. It's like waiting for Christmas. So anyways, thought I’d pop in and say hi and thanks to those that have contributed so much here. It doesn’t go un-noticed ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.