Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. njsss

njsss Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The newmodeus caddy actually works pretty well (see pictures below). There's a plastic attachment to connect the front bezel to the caddy. Use it to replace the original one. No mods were needed. Very well fit.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      84.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      50.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      48.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      58.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    My understanding is it gave a little better performance. Based on Melody's comment I should roll back?

3. njsss

njsss Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Is there any good external optical drive enclosure?

4. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I dunno. Check the thread I linked to, several users posted some benchmarks: some users gained performance & some lost.

From this page, Intel adding clarity as usual like their core 2 duo and i7-620M 2 core, etc:

:eek:

5. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    Thank you for taking the time to make & post the photos. :)

Please tell me if I understand correctly:

1- The newmodeus HDD Caddy comes with a flat generic bezel already installed.

2- Remove the newmodeus bezel & use the included white adapter to fit the F's OEM special shaped bezel on the newmodeus HDD Caddy for a very good finish fit on the F's body as illustrated by your photos.

What I don't understand is the broken part you posted here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/att...sony-vaio-f-series-owners-lounge-part-2-1.jpg from this post.

What's that, where does it come from?

6. njsss

njsss Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    yes, you right. That broken part is because I couldn't take the front bezel off from the optical drive. It's at the other end of your picture. Since I don't have this latch View attachment 49542 as shown by niebyl2002, I had to broke it.

7. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    You need to eject manually the tray to have access to the tabs. If that part of the F OEM bezel was not broken, could you confirm that it would still fit the newmodeUS caddy?

Anyway, thanks for the report & photos! I used one with a link to your post in the How-to HDD in ODD bay.

[​IMG]

I hope MelodyMaster did not rush it and order a replacement HDD caddy before reading your post. :)

One question, did you run some benchmark like the free version of HD Tune available here for example? I'm curious about the operating temperature under stress as yours is a closed box while niebyl2002's & mine are opened on the top side.

Also, could you confirm that there is 4 holes in the bottom of the caddy for securing the HDD with screws?

8. jgramos

jgramos Guest

Reputations:
    Hi folks, this is my first message here. :D

I bought a Vaio VPC-F111FX last month and yesterday I noticed something interesting. Whenever the computer is idle and the battery is fully charged, the power supply LED starts flickering (not totally blinking, just flickering, if you know what I mean) and I also hear some clicking sounds from inside the power supply.
    I'm not sure if this has always happened, it was just yesterday when I started to use the computer with the power supply close to me that I noticed this. When the LED flickers, the lights on the room also do the same thing!

I was wondering, did anyone else here experienced this? Did you return the power supply and is the new one working fine after the exchange?

9. OoTLink

OoTLink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yep jg, my first vaio f did that, so I returned it to best buy and they gave me another.

The second one also does it, this got me wondering - when I called Sony (on multiple occasions, different people), they all said that this was not normal and they'd replace the power supply, but for one reason or another I never got one.

Eg, was in the vicinity of a sony store but didn't have my receipt, then I was going to get one mailed but for other issues they asked me to send the machine to their place in San Diego... sooo..

Yeah. XD

Call them, they'll send you another power brick.

10. waitwaitwait

waitwaitwait Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just out of curiosity, is the F able to boot from the drive in the caddy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.