Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inappropriatename

inappropriatename Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone know the new sony CTO coupon codes? The previous 20% off one expired on the 28th......

2. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @ niebyl2002 : Thank you very much for your report & nice photos.

I updated the How to install a secondary hard drive in the optical drive bay of a VAIO_F Series article with some of them & added notes about your fenvi HDD caddy. Will add more stuff in a couple of days.

If I would do it again, that's the brand I would get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@ njsss: Could you report about how the F's OEM bezel fits on the newmodeus caddy & include a photo if possible to be added to the article?

3. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The newmodeus caddy is the one I have and the OEM bezel does not fit - not without drilling and hacking. That is the reason I'm not using the caddy. I'd love to find a definite source for the Fenvi, but it appears to be out of production, and if one IS being offered on Ebay the seller generally doesn't identify the brand, so it's not searchable.

(Edit) This appears to be it, I think I'll take a chance... I'd appreciate it if Niebyl could confirm... New Laptop 12.7mm SATA TO SATA 2ND HDD HARD DRIVE caddy - eBay (item 250619909385 end time May-22-10 18:18:19 PDT)

4. roberts1810

roberts1810 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Joe,

I get some troubles when connecting eSata drive to a VAIO serie F
    I connect a VAIO VPCF11CEE ( Windows 7) to an external Verbatim drive

USB connexion : OK

eSata/combo connexion :
    The drive is not recognized in Windows Explorer.

In control pannel--> hardware and audio
    it is seen as a SAMSUNG HMJI drive.
    Double clicking on it result in waiting a long time and nothing happens.
    No files are seen.

The BIOS don't have any option about hardware settings and so I can not activate the AHCI mode

Intel Matrix Storage Control Storage program detects the external drive on port 5 as SAMSUNG .. and I get this message

"a storage device is connected. If this peripheral is an port replicator only port 0 will be active"

Thanks for your help

Charles

5. MelodyMaster

Reputations:
    Did you format the drive? Control Panel -> System and Security -> (Administrative Tools) -> "Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions."

OR open Program search and type "Format." The above will be listed.

6. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    It's easy to find a fenvi 12.7mm thick caddy on ebay. I posted this search suggestion in the how-to article when I first posted it online: 12.7mm SATA TO SATA caddy. From the results, just make sure it's a fenvi 12.7mm.

Before ordering one, let's see if you can fit the bezel on your $50 newmodus. Could you post a photo with the caddy perfectly aligned over the OEM ODD to compare the dimensions with both bezel's removed? I mean like a sandwich?

7. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    What is the exact model of external Verbatim drive? When via USB, it gets it's power via USB but when via eSATA, it needs a source of power or is it eSATA/USB two-in-one (or Power Over eSATA) compatible?

Did you check the Verbatim support site?

sparkz42 had the exact same problem as you (USB OK, eSATA no way) & it turned out that his LaCie rugged drive was defective. See here. Did you try the Verbatim via eSATA on an other computer?

8. shinkasa

shinkasa Newbie

Reputations:
    If I configure 1*4GB RAM from Sony

What is the exact manufacturer or RAM spec?

I want to buy separately another 4GB as it is cheaper way to get 8GB total.

9. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    Just wait to have the F in front of you if you want 2 identical sticks (which I prefer) as_Sony uses 2 brands for the F, both very good. In my 6GB VPC115FM I got:

DIMM1: Samsung M471B5273BH1-CH9 4GB

DIMM2: Hynix HMT125S6BFR8C-H9 2GB

But some F owners also reported 4GB Hynix and 2GB Samsung sticks.

10. MelodyMaster

Reputations:
    Take the cover off and look at what you have once you get the system. So far The F-series has used Samsung, Fujitsu, Hyundai, Kingston, and Renesas ram. While it is best to match brands, laptop DDR3- 1333 seems to be pretty interchangeable across brands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.