Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Looks nice - I may do this :). I think I may second To No End's request for photos of the screen at more extreme angles.

2. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I got mine in January CTO as well. The week after it came out, I believe (so the 2nd week it was available).

3. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I got mine the second week it came out also, and returned it because the screen was so, so bad.. It had no noises.

4. tausif

tausif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks to Joe and Melody Master too.

The next time I started it was after 1.5hrs after the little one was in bed.

Without me having to do anything it seemed to start as normal and appeared to be operating normally. I hope this does not recur, it looked really terrible. As well as looking rudimentary, everything was enlarged by about 200% and looked pixelated, not HD at all.

5. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Perhaps you can get the i5 model.
    I have it and it is not that noisy, less heat = less fan action.
    But I have no reference coming from a loud desktop :D

6. undoz

undoz Newbie

Reputations:
    I would say that the fan is not that loud. The only problem is that it changes its pitch often creating a drone sound. I hope that someone will find a solution to keep it stable, or to be able to manually control it.

7. Kayron

Kayron Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have the power management settings at balanced? That helps for me in regards to the fan changing speed often. The fan will still run, but it won't change speed as often and helps me block the sound out.

Also, not doing the mic fix helps during times when I'm doing nothing but browsing. The fan would then only be audible if I put my ear to the computer in a quiet room. During normal use though, it will vary from 10-minute periods being as quiet as I mentioned above to the normal idle speed of the fan.

8. tausif

tausif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Mine is the i7 , granted that my F11 whines. My wife has the E series with i5 processor and it is whisper quiet when browsing the internet compared to mine even when mine isn't whining. I am a little envious ! But I only in reality notice the fan on mine when I power off and the silence really does seem golden.

And I am even more envious of you that you have the f series with i5, as I suspect thats what i should have got. BTW have you ever heard your F series make a whine/whistle/droning sound ?

9. niebyl2002

niebyl2002 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tonight I will do a short movie so you can see the angles. Don't get me wrong, matte film improve overall experience with the screen but it doesn't change the fact that the screen still suck.

10. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have no whine/whistle/droning sound, but sometimes a kind of metallic sound.
    I hope that is of the hard-drive, because I'm planning to buy a SSD someday.

BTW the choice for i5 was budget related...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.