Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To no End

To no End Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    @andremaul

Briliiant Find!!!! I did not even know the CMOS battery was located there.

I still think Sony should look into this. but in the meantime, I think it's safe to say that this issue is now owned with an easy fix!

2. andremaul

andremaul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well, actually it was Joe Bleau find, I just tried what he suggested. :D

3. To no End

Reputations:
    @Roweraay

Congratulations on getting your F11 working again and thanks for the info. I will do the screen switch myself.

4. To no End

Reputations:
    @andremaul
    Ah ok.. in any case, thanks for the step by step instruction and doesn't it feel great to have a quiet computer ?! :D

@Joe Bleau
    GREAT JOB JOE!! +++10 this would include your photo post locating the CMOS battery http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...=1#post6158353
    (one of the photos courtesy of jacksjw.) It is very evident that you put in a lot of time on your posts and they just make things a lot easier for us. I still need to pass on other rep. I'll keep you in mind.

5. To no End

Reputations:
    First CTO - F11, The first week it launched in January at Sony Style USA. Second CTO - F11, In early February as a replacement for the first.
    Yeah, I guess i'm a guinea pig twice around...

6. To no End

Reputations:
    During the fan issue, once the notebook entered the hibernation process, the green LED would blink until the unit shuts off.

The reason why I recommended to leave the unit alone for a while was to let it drain further. If I had pressed the power button on after the unit shut off, then there is still some adequate charge left on the battery to remove itself from the battery state. (though it would quickly resume hibernation)

In my experience, coming back after a few hours (2-4 hrs) and pressing the power button, the green led will blink every 4 seconds or so for maybe up to a minute or two. Then, it will start to blink orange every 4 seconds or so up to a minute and then stop. Pressing the power button after that results in no LED action.

I just realised that to get to this state, you can't leave the unit alone for too long and that you can't start this process right after hibernation as well. I think there has to be a bare minimum charge left. The reason why i'm saying this is that i've tried coming back to it after 7 hours (the next morning) in my previous tries and the result I got was that pressing the power button did nothing.

7. To no End

Reputations:
    Interesting!!

Can you post photos of your protected screen from a sitting position looking directly at the screen but at screen angles pushing down to the limit of how the screen can go.
    I'm curious where the picture inversion begins from a user point of view. I can achieve the same coherent picture quality on my non-film screen with the camera angles that you posted.

Thanks

8. N3wton

N3wton Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello!

Does anyone fix the battery problem? I'm from Portugal and no one fix it yet...

Where can i find some info about the screen color profile? Someone tell me that here i can find something that makes the color & the brightness looking better...

(Sorry about my english...)

9. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

@andremaul: Thanks for trying in the field the trouble shooting suggestion for fixing the fan stuck @ 100% by resetting the CMOS and peeking in the memory bay to find the connector instead of removing the bottom of the unit as I originally suggested. :)

I took a photo last night & here it goes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The male plug is really small & there is not much space for the fingers. I needed to use fine tweezers to grab it & pull it straight back out of that loving female part. :) There is no lock tabs to depress but it's a tight fit so I would not try to pull on the wires. Just make sure you don't touch the motherboard circuits with the twezers nor unsettle the memory sticks.

How to reset the BIOS only:
    - Press F2 when booting > reset the BIOS.

If it fails, try:

@N3wton: Check the Unification Post #2 for answers to your questions & much more.

10. waitwaitwait

waitwaitwait Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yep mine is CTO, January build.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.