Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    By orange to orange, I meant compare i7 to i7. You don't compare a muscle car to a Camry, do you? :)
    @ tausif: Try Restore first. If you re-install the video driver, you should:
    - uninstall old driver
    - re-start
    - install new driver
    - restart

@ Willscary: if a dual lamp display is set at the same level of brightness as a single CCFL screen & both LCD's have the same resolution then power consumption should be very close since we are talking about 2 made for_Sony displays of the same size. Anyway, with both model numbers, it should be easy to find the specs.

2. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Based on the battery life that I saw with the new dual-CCFL screen, I believe the dual-lamp screen (in addition to the other properties that it has) provides more even lighting, the screen has FAR wider viewing angles and reflects very little to no light, unlike with a typical glossy-looking screen.

And for all we know, the dual-lamps may be consuming the same power as the single lamp in the F-series. Akin to placing a single 100W lamp in the corner of a large room to light it up, versus placing 2 50W lamps in either end of the same room to light it up.....of course the dual-50W lamps will provide "evener" lighting throughout the room than the single 100W blasting away from a corner. Just my assumption, of course. :)

3. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    A few of the specs of my new screen are as follows:

Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Lighting: 2-CCFL
    Contrast: 700
    Brightness: 375 cd/m2
    Viewing Angle: (up/down/left/right) (70/70/50/60).
    Pixel Pitch: 0.189 x 0.189
    Dimensions: 375 x 221.1 x 7.0
    Pins: 30 pin
    Manufacturer: SHARP
    Manufacturer Part#: LQ164M1LA4A

Don't know what some of the above specs mean, however. :eek:

4. kabski

kabski Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes, it blinked green every 5 seconds after trying to power on from an almost empty battery, but not in the same way as normally happens when running Windows at low battery level. Instead of smoothly fading on and off, it sort of jumps on (not smooth) and then fades out normally.

Remember that the F was in a state of error, so even the power button LED may not behave as officially documented.

5. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    But before you tried to start on an empty battery, since you said it was in sleep state: was it solid orange or flashing orange or off? Or fuchsia? :)

6. andremaul

andremaul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Maybe it's a corrupted CMOS memory problem? More or less like the full-speed fan at all times? You could try the same fix I used to fix my fan problem, it's described some pages back... I don't know if it has something to do with that, though.

7. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Have you run boottime Memtest 86 to make sure ram hasn't gone bad? Right now, as in the early 2000's on desktops, there is an industry-wide higher than usual memory failure rate on Laptop DDR3.

8. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Cold cathode flourescent light is VERY low power and energy-efficient in the first place. Nearly all of the input is converted to visible light, have you ever felt a warm CCFL? Plus the light can be dimmed. I suspect the two lamps are running at less power consumption EACH to provide the same light ouptut as in the single-lamp display.

9. kabski

kabski Newbie

Reputations:
    I didn't even look at the state of the LEDs before I turned it on. Do you?
    However, if it were fuchsia I probably would have noticed, so we can rule that out. :)

So I don't know whether it actually was or had been in sleep state, I said that sleep was the action I had set for critical battery and lid closing.

10. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    "I didn't even look at the state of the LEDs before I turned it on. Do you? " - Since I read about that 100% thing here: yes. :) If it's flashin' green with the battery charge LED off: let it do it's thing. If both are flashing: plug first & wait a few seconds before turning on the F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.