Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skagen

skagen Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually something that you should probably be using anyway is Xmarks, which used to be called Foxmarks but is now a cross-browser add-on. So you can sync your Chomebookmarks to Firexox and to the cloud as well.
    www.xmarks.com

2. Glashub

Glashub Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank you, roweraay.

3. tausif

tausif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cmon pls someone ... Joe ?

4. fernandes

fernandes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Go to Chrome, click on the tool icon on the top right, there's an option "Sync Bookmarks" (or something similar, mine now says "Bookmarks Synced..." instead). It syncs your bookmarks automatically to your gmail account.

5. fernandes

fernandes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Try reinstalling the nvidia drivers (you can get them from the support page if you're using the stock drivers).

6. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    "The Vaio F is noisy compared to most laptops" - Define "most laptops" please. :)

My post above contradicts this when comparing orange to orange.

7. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's funny. Start > search: restore > System Restore and it's reversible. :)

-----------

Thanks for the tip but I don't plan on using much Chrome anymore.

I get the sync & other backup methods but I don't get why so many users have all their bookmarks disappearing in a flash as shown in Goggle Chrome Help: lost bookmarks.

Besides, I've read 1984 a long while ago & Google infiltrating everything bothers me a lot.

It's a simple thing but you can easily get add-ons for Firefox to download videos from Youtube but not for Chrome for example.

8. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Roweraay,

Thanks for the screen thoughts!

Joe,

nope, I did not expect double the brightness ir double the power consumption. My thought was that laptops are usually built to a thermal point. More power means more heat means bigger fans or special cooling. The F has an i7 and in the case of the GT330M, a fairly warm GPU also. I thought that perhaps Sony skimped on the screen to get power requirements down. All the power for the display probably runs through the motherboard in some way.

I thought that perhaps 5 additional watts might have been the reason for the lesser screen.

I did see a discontinued SonyStyle screen for a loaded F11 prebuilt that had a 150W power supply and power consumption of 140W +10%. I believe the spec is now 100W + 10% and a smaller power supply. Again, perhaps the dually lit screen was taken away in order to reduce a few watts.

Just speculation on my part...that is why I asked Roweraay the question.

Bill

9. tausif

tausif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you , I'll try that. Has anyone else had this same problem ?

10. OoTLink

OoTLink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Joe, I was very clear in what I said.

The Vaio F is noisy compared to most laptops, since the fan is always on. In my years as a nerd I've used hundreds, if not thousands of computers - many laptops at that, and very few I've used that had a fan on all the time.

I believe I summed it up saying that while the Vaio F is noisier at idle, it's the same or quieter at full load. And the best part is, it runs cooler.

You can escape the fan noise at idle by using power saver mode, but then the fan turns on and off a lot lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.