Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OoTLink

OoTLink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm impressed you guys are so worried about cooling! lol I think the stock fans work fine.

2. niebyl2002

niebyl2002 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think so too. I owned a Macbook before F series. Macbook was getting so hot that I couldn't keep it on my legs and it was only Core 2 Duo. I think Sony did a great job keeping i7 pretty cool. On F11 when I run couple VM's the fans works constantly but case stays warm to touch.

Unless you have some sort of issues with fan I wouldn't worry about additional cooling. The only thing that comes to my mind is when you studying or working in a quiet room and fan bothers you then yes, I would get something add. cooling.

3. tausif

tausif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My F11 display setting has gone weird as if it has gone into safe mode, text and graphics look rudimentary and I didn't even do anything.

How do you revert to the last good settings please, it it in Vaio care ?

I tried restarting and it didn't help.

4. nu_D

nu_D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can you guys tell me how loud the fan is under normal usage? If I'm just browsing the net and listening to music. Thanks.

5. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    How loud is relative.

Keep in mind that it's a powerful Core i7 & it needs a fan for cooling & it's a mechanical thing with mechanical noises.

What is noisy for you may be quiet for me. The soundscape of my F is perfectly normal considering the CPU & GPU power under the hood. :)

[​IMG]

Note that, for example, this Dell_1747 i7 is also audible @ idle:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now some users in this thread have defective fans that apparently are "whistling" a tune that they don't like. :)

Fan noise is the only thing that notebookcheck says prevented them from deeming the F perfect as a DTR: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Sony-Vaio-VPC-F11Z1-E-Notebook.25724.0.html

They gave only a 86% score because of that.

6. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Clearly, the design intent of the prior Dual-CCFL "X-BRITE Full-HD" screen (in the article referenced) and the current F-series screens were different, IMHO.

The US F-series Full-HD screen was designed and built with the intent to squeeze out as much cost as possible from the product, probably thinking that the US customers are not very demanding......especially when it was clear that they did spend the time/effort in creating a top-notch screen for the EU market.

7. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay, an update on battery life....

The laptop with the new Dual-CCFL screen (with MAX brightness setting) has crossed 2 hours on the battery (indicates 18% charge remaining) with web surfing, picture editing and other such tasks.

So there seems to be absolutely no impact on the battery life either, from the new screen. Maybe 5 minutes difference at the most, I would think, based on the type of battery life I got with my prior F-series Full-HD screen.

Hope this helps. :)

8. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I decided to give Chrome a spin about a month ago when Firefox was not behaving, coincidentally after a Java auto update as others have also noted in this thread.

I use bookmarks a lot & today after booting & starting Chrome: one month worth of bookmarks are gone. The history is still there & that's it, all the add-ons, customizations, passwords, etc are gone.

So went to Goggle Chrome Help & searched for: lost bookmarks. Well, I'm not alone. :( I tried every trick suggested including the Bookmarks.bak file thing, no dice.

I used for years Netscape mail & Firefox in an office environment, never had any problems.

If you use Chrome, I strongly suggest that you do some profile backups or export Bookmarks using Bookmark Manager.

Back to Firefox today after a couple of weeks & this pops up:

[​IMG]

Aha!

I also noticed Java auto update in the startup applications listed in Autoruns, yet an other pesky thing calling the mother-ship. Might kill that soon.

Dual CCFL Power Consumption?

What do you expect? That the dual CCFL produces twice as much light? My F already maxes @ 248 cd/m2 which is way to bright for all day work. @ 500 you would need sunglasses & suntan lotion. :)

9. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, it would require a different motherboard layout thus essentially creating a new VAIO model.

10. OoTLink

OoTLink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The Vaio F is noisy compared to most laptops, since the fan is always on! However, it's not that noisy: At idle, it's quieter than most laptops are at load. At load, it's about the same as pretty much any laptop I've used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.