Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    But you said that the power button LED blinked green? :confused:

Again: Vaio_VPCF LED Indicators

From > Start > Help & Support > Indicator Light:

Since To No End managed to get an orange flashing power button LED when trying to force the F to resume from hibernation while still on critical low battery state, he may have found and other LED code not described in the Help doc quoted above. :)

2. hgfdsa

hgfdsa Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Any chance for this laptop to receive an ati gpu?

3. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yea,people in this forum has tried numerous time tried to fix their fan issue with SONY and came back the same. I think tausif is in the process for 2nd attempt with SONY, you can try to contact him.

Could you check if the screen get better?Maybe SONY switch with different type of SHARP LCD or something.A photo would greatly appreciated.

Is this cooler for 17" laptop?not too small/big for F's body?

We all know there will be a refresh in june/july, I was wondering the same...SONY have ATI and NVIDIA on their laptop, so chances is still 50-50, we wont know until july. Maybe you could tried to email AMD and see if they'll speak.

4. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The dual Inverter goes into the spot of the single Inverter (which obviously comes off). The dual Inverter was a big longer, since the slots were longitudinally arranged than side-by-side.

Pictures below:

Old Inverter and New dual-slot inverter:

Attached Files:

5. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Now the Inverter in the laptop, right before it was put back together:

Attached Files:

6. revilo

revilo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is it at all possible to change the gpu on this or for that matter any sony laptop?

7. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I bought my dual-CCFL screen from www.smartmicrousa.com (Part#: LQ164M1LA4A) and was a bit pricier than from other sources. The problem with the "other sources" was that they did not have the part# in stock and I did not have the liberty of waiting till it got back into stock. So I went ahead with the purchase ($258 for the screen).

After realizing that the dual-lamp screen needed a dual-lamp Inverter, I searched around for a compatible Inverter and even though an inverter would only cost less than $20, I decided to pay the price and get the stupendously over-priced Sony part#. I got this from www.sparepartswarehouse.com (Part# 1-445-379-11) for $99.61. :eek:

Of course since I put it in myself, I did not incur any installation charges. :)

Here is a 4-page interview with the people within the Sony organization who designed this screen (Called in the US as "X-BRITE Full-HD" and in Japan as "Clear Bright LCD") and their thoughts/challenges when they designed it.

http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/pcg-grt40zp/interview/index_01.html
    http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/pcg-grt40zp/interview/index_02.html
    http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/pcg-grt40zp/interview/index_03.html
    http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/pcg-grt40zp/interview/index_04.html

8. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have had this laptop on (with the new screen) for well over 24 hours continuously. Absolutely no difference whatsoever between this dual-CCFL screen and my previous single-CCFL F-series Full-HD screen from the perspective of being hotter etc

I will post back my findings when the laptop runs on battery and on the battery life etc. At max brightness, if it goes beyond 2 hours, I would say the power consumption is roughly the same as the previous screen. Will update back shortly (it has been on battery for a while now).

9. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not a chance, you will stick on what you pay and get.

Thanks!as far as those 4 pages,they seems to know what they are talking about regarding LCD,however how come they can came out with poor LCD like what F have?it goes different way,its like the book say this and they say/do the opposite way.

10. Poohkie

Poohkie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have talked with Sony directly regarding this option. They told me that the F11 was designed for NVIDIA only. So no other GPU brand is possible.

@Sheebp - Your F11 is a CTO correct?

@waitwaitwait - Is your F11 CTO also?

@andyguk - When did you order your F11, January? Just trying to see if you bought as soon as they came out or not. Are you from UK?

@To No End & jacksjw - You are both from US, can you confirm if you were early adopters as well, and also if both have CTO?

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.