Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OoTLink

OoTLink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I did say max. However, any firewire port is enough to power a 3.5" external without a power brick, and it BEING a laptop makes this a big selling point to me. The less crap I have to plug into the wall, the better. I hear ya though, a lot of people on here very likely bought the F to use as a desktop. They could've better been served by a real desktop with a proper i7, muuuuch better GPU, and choice of much better screens.

Then again, nobody ever buys a decent desktop screen anyway, they always go for those 27" 1600x900 TN dealies that are actually much worse than our Vaio F screens lol :D

Yes though, for a nerd laptop like the F, a powered firewire port would've been a very nice feature. As said, some notebook hard drives require more than 500ma, and that's not even counting the external enclosure if it's not esata.

Not a missed selling point, remember I'm a Mac guy, I'm used to amenities like that. There's a lot of small things I miss (like target disk mode and those powered firewire ports).. still!

Ironically, your point isn't far off though - I recall that MacBook pros only come with a 85w power adaptor - back in the day when you could remove the battery they'd throttle down because they couldn't get all the power they needed from it. XD

That may also explain why my Vaio takes like 4 hours to charge the battery -_-

2. andyguk

andyguk Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    oh ffs :mad: I've been emailing them about this issue for the past week and they are no help at all. They keep assuring me that the problem will be fixed if I send it in for repair and that it will only take 5 days. Yeh right :rolleyes: I explained to them that they've already tried to fix f11s with the same issue and failed miserably.

At the moment I don't see the point in sending mine away if they still can't fix the problem :confused: I have absolutely no confidence in them

3. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Joe and Melody,

Thank you for the explanations. Joe you are very thorough and I understand everything you wrote except one point.

The USB 2.0 standard allows for up to 500ma max between all ports. Does the eSATA/USB combo port get included in this total, or is this only for the other USB 2.0 ports? This may sound like a stupid question after you very detailed explanation, but to me, it would be worthless to have "power over eSATA" (or whatever you wish to call it) if the power diminishes when a wireless mouse dongle, a laptop cooling pad or a USB thumb drive are also plugged in. I would hope that this port would have its own dedicated power.

If so, it should show up on its own in "device Manager". Am I correct?

Thanks again!

Bill

4. olssy

olssy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has any one else had this issue? I booted in windows 7 for the first time in a month only to not be able to use my keyboard or my trackpad. Device manager shows no problems, tried updating eveything with Vaio care, didn't fix it. Then I started going through different restore points with no luck and eventually did a factory re-install and still no keyboard of trackpad.

I was pretty sure this was a driver issue until the factory reset didn't fix it. I should mention that the keyboard works fine in the bios, the boot loader and in Linux, no problems whatsoever. But for once I need windows and I'm having to use an external mouse and keyboard... If anyone could give me a link to the keyboard and trackpad drivers for their system it would be sooooooooooooo appreciated. Not sure it matters but mine is a VPC-F1190S.

5. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Here is a screen capture of the free SIW 2010 > Hardware > Devices running on my Vaio_VPCF11:

[​IMG]

What I have running on my plugged F @ this very moment:

- 5 HDD's powered entirely by the F
    - 16GB memory card in the SD slot
    - 1 Bluetooth mouse + 1 Bluetooth headphone playing Ennio Morricone
    - Wired LAN + internet
    - 8 programs running including 50 windows in Chrome, Photoshop 64-bit, Microsoft Expression Web, etc.
    - And the fan is maybe running @ 20-30% of it's max rpm.

So Melody's USB power limited if all in use does not seem to be valid. :)

"...500ma max between all ports" - Is false in case of the F.

"...Does the eSATA/USB combo port get included in this total" - No, as shown above.

"...if the power diminishes when a wireless mouse dongle" - My mouse with dongle is sleeping in a drawer, I got for peanuts a brand new full size Bluetooth Microsoft Laser Mouse 8000 on Fleabay. For peanuts because it's a 2006 model. Who cares?

"...a laptop cooling pad" - Well that's a useless gadget IMO & I would never sacrifice a USB port for that.

I have been using my ruler for years, it's cheap, light in my notebook case, dead quiet, reduces significantly fan work, gives me a comfortable typing angle like on full keyboards, can be used as a back scratcher or even as a handy ruler! It barely fits under the F's two back rubber feet, which is recommended to minimize vibrations to/from the desk.

[​IMG]

Any object works, @ home I use a 4.5cm x 2cm x 30cm piece of wood. count_schemula loves his fetish pickle jar lid: "I prop my rear up in a pickle jar lid to allow more air underneath. I've done that for years with all my laptops." :)

"...wireless mouse dongle... a USB thumb drive" - Those barely need any power compared to the HDD's above, but they do take away USB ports for other usage.

A solution could be a A/C powered USB hub to plug up even more stuff. :)

[​IMG]

Edit: Keeping all of the above connected, I ran a search in Computer so it would search all 5 HDD's & unplugged the F, just for fun. While normally the battery discharge rate is around 3000 mW with only the C drive running, I manged to get a wooping 53075 mW:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Willscary

Reputations:
    Again, thanks.

Actually, I hardly ever plug anything into my computers. I have a laptop cooler which I usually do not plug in. I use it in the same way you use your ruler. However, when I happen to be in a warm room, it is good to have the additional cooling. I am actually speaking from experience with my wife's Dell, which gets VERY hot.

Really, the only item that will be plugged in is my Logitech Performance Mouse MX. The cooler may be plugged in 5% of the time and a USB thumb drive may be plugged in for a minute or two once in a great while. I would, however, look to plug the Power Over eSATA drive nearly all of the time as I will be using this primarily as a desktop replacement for my ancient Dell.

I have to admit, so far we have had NO problems with these F11s. I am getting very anxious for my personal F11 to arrive. It is delayed because of the new 1080x1920 screen shipment. They are expected tomorrow and my ship date is supposed to be the 27th. The latest pair of 900p versions for our church arrive tomorrow. I plan on spending my time getting them up and running this weekend so they are ready to go Monday morning.

7. Willscary

Reputations:
    By the way Joe, I would think that my cooler did not cost more than about double what your scale cost you. A good triangle scale or rule generally costs me about $12 (I tend to wear them out in about 18 months) and my coolers used to cost about $16 delivered. The newest coolers that I purchased were these:

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Notepal-Notebook-R9-NBC-8PBK-GP/dp/B002NU5V4A

They have been very quiet when actually running and work very well passively also.

8. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Did you see the edit in the post above with the F unplugged?

If they would make a Logitech Performance Mouse MX Bluetooth, I would get one on the spot.

One of the few things I kept when I sold my websites office was a Logitech Mx500 which was used heavy duty for 7 years 7/7 & it still works great after replacing the gliding pads a couple of times.

My triangular ruler is made of plastic, was cheap and is about 25 years old. :)

The two things that bugs me about these coolers like you linked to is that actually their very own surface impede air circulation compared to a stick or ruler. I got it BTW for my civil engineering studies which included ventilation, air conditioning, etc. :)

The price is right for the product you linked to & it looks nice but they don't ship to Costa Rica & how do you fit that in your laptop case?

9. Willscary

Reputations:
    Hey, my wife and kids have laptops. I am outfitting our church office with laptops for the pastors and administrators and desktops for the secretaries and volunteer desks.

This will be my first laptop. It will be used 99% of the time at my desk. Perhaps I will carry one of my worn out triangle rules with me for travelling :)

MY current mouse is an MX610 that I love. I have been purchasing the Performance MX for all of the new laptops because of its built-in rechargeable LiIon battery. This makes it worth the price as I otherwise have to buy good rechargeable AA or AAA batteries and a charger, then hope nobody loses their batteries or replaces them with regular batteries when they run out of charge.

No, I had not seen your edit.

While I would think that it would perhaps impede airflow because it is probably 70% aluminum and 30% open holes for air circulation, the only way that the air would actually be impeded is if airflow was greater than the 30% open area could supply. This is impossible with natural convection and is also not likely with the two fans running as the surface area of the open holes easily exceeds the fan output in CFM. In other words, I can easily force more CFM through the panel holes than the fans are capable of delivering at full speed.

I understand that it seems counterintuitive. If I held a panel such as this in front of my face, outside on a windy day, it would block most of the wind. However, it still allows more air through than the natural heating convection needs in passive mode and also allows more air when the fans are running.

Reviews say that this device lowers average laptop temps by 5 degrees celsius when the fans are running. I believe the reviews also stated that there was about the same passive cooling effect as open air, which would be what your ruler and 2X4 produce.

If the fans are removed, the laptop fits inside the cooler. You could travel passively if you wanted. Also, Cooler Master has the U1 model, which is the same model except no fans are included. This might work for you, although it would be more expensive than your already purchased 25 year old plastic triangle ruler! :)

Thanks again for the info Joe. I'd give you rep, but I have to spread some around first.

10. kabski

kabski Newbie

Reputations:
    In my case the lid closing action, and battery critical action is: sleep (not hibernate).

I think that the CMOS data corruption may happen when trying to power ON the F on battery, in the situation where there is not enough power left in the battery to complete the BIOS POST stage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.