Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. niebyl2002

niebyl2002 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I absolutely agree.

Ideally it would be nice to upgrade the screen to EU premium matte but why waste money when it should be done by SONY in a first place.

My average desktop/laptop life is usually between one to two years and for that time I can live with my F series with US premium screen and anti glare film.

2. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the post, yea...it does look pretty bad on the pic lol..but most F owner have the same issue.

PS:I was looking at the Y series owner lounge, they only have about 29 pages...I guess the less issue the laptop have, the less page it has LOL..I was thinking getting that at first but for that price it wasn't worth it getting SU7300 that will be replaced by ULV i5 pretty soon.

3. sheebp

sheebp Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just a quick update on repair for
    fan whistle: Sony have spent two weeks with it an when I eventually got bored and emailed them, they said they couldn't find a problem with it, even after sending them recordings and discussing it at length with them beforehand. Furious...

4. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Joe or anyone else...

How much power is supplied by the F11's Power Over eSATA port? I can only find "enough to power a 2.5" HDD. Are there any hard numbers on wattage?

Bill

5. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The Esata port is rated at 500ma max, compared with 100ma for individual USB ports. (but if just one port is used it can provide 500ma) 2.5" drives typically take between 280 and 650 ma, with 3.5" starting at 900ma up tp 1500ma.

By that I mean the power-over-Esata port on the F11 is rated at 500ma, 5V. Esata does not provide power.

6. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Would that be at 5 volts? Then 500ma X 5v = 2.5W, plenty to power my hard drive. If not, do you knw the voltage?

Thanks!

Bill

7. tausif

tausif Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They changed the fan on mine to no real effect, maybe they didn't even know what was wrong with mine or even heard the whine, I never had any real acknowledgement of that.

If they couldn't find a problem with it, then are they sending it back to you ?

They are meant to be picking mine up again in another week but this is beginning to seem like an exercise in futility.

8. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In a nutshell:
    - eSATA does not provide any power, only data transportation
    - USB 2.0 can provide either: power alone (5v 500mA max), data transport alone or power + data simultaneously.
    - Power Over eSATA port is in reality 2 ports combined in one and is backward compatible with either: USB 1.1, 2.0 OR eSATA OR Power Over eSATA cable & enabled devices in which case the USB part provides power with the same specs as a normal USB port: (5v 500mA max) and data transportation @ the SATA transfer rates.
    - The Expresscard 34 slot max output is also 5v 500mA
    - For USB 3.0, the max power is 900mA: http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

[​IMG] [​IMG]

There is a lot of confusion with the F's Power Over eSATA port. I researched the thing when I saw it on the F & for taking advantage of it when shopping for an external HDD enclosure. See the Power Over eSATA Port & ext Enclosures Benchmarks post. The simple fact that it's so difficult to find such an enclosure is a sign of the doomed standard as well as products like this neat OCZ Throttle eSATA Flash Drive review. On the OCZ's site, the Throttle product page says "Page Not Found".

[​IMG]

Here is a similar product that includes also a regular USB connector for maximum flexibility: the Kangaroo e-Flash.

[​IMG]

That standard is probably going the Betamax way & will be supplanted by the upcoming USB 3.0. That's too bad because I like the flexibility of it.

The first mistake was the name. There is a lot of confusion out there & it's difficult to find compatible products for it because there is so many ways of calling it:
    - Power Over eSATA
    - Power eSATA
    - eSATAp
    - eSATA/USB two-in-one
    - eSATA/USB combo
    - USB-eSATA combo
    - eSATA/USB power
    - eSATA combo port
    - 11 pin USB/eSATA
    - Etc!
    - eSATA/USB port In the "VAIO_VPCF11 User Guide" pdf found in your F: C:\Windows\Sonysys\DOCS. 169 pages and not one single usable Specifications page! :mad2:
    The single paragraph about that port in said guide on page 15:
    From this page found on The Serial ATA International Organization's website:

But reviews, notebook manufacturers and makers of "eSATA/USB two-in-one connector" compatible products are all mixing the names. That's the fault of said SATA Organisation who could not come up with a simple & marketable name. :)

Google Products: Your search - eSATA/USB two-in-one - did not match any products.

Even_Sony in it's F product page here mistakenly named the port as a regular "eSATA Port":

[​IMG]

eSATA's transfer rates are identical to SATA:

[​IMG]

Depending on the benchmark settings & who makes it, the USB 3.0 transfer rates are somewhat similar to the eSATA/SATA 3G @ the present. From this page:

[​IMG]

See the real world transfer rates & benchmarks made with the F in the enclosure post linked above.

So I'm wrong calling it "Power Over eSATA" according to the organization but it's the best & shortest way to describe it IMO or should we start using the official name: "eSATA/USB two-in-one"? :)

"...compared with 100ma for individual USB ports. (but if just one port is used it can provide 500ma" - MelodyMaster, where did you find that info? Is it generic or specific to the F? I will test mine with three 2.5" HDD enclosures + my HDD in the ODD bay simultaneously & report if I don't toast my F. :biggrin:

9. OoTLink

OoTLink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's ridiculous. You know what? They should've shoe horned a full 6 pin firewire port by the power button -_- That woudl've been AWESOME.

Sure, fw800 isn't as fast as esata, but it provides TONS of power. I believe 1.5a and 30v max (45w!!)

10. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That does not make sense. It's a laptop, remember? The power brick max output is 120W, Sony_says power requierements for the F: 100W + 10%, notebookcheck measured 116w max consumption. Where would your "45w" come from? Are you willing to carry yet an even bigger brick & bigger laptop to power a Firewire 800 that's not useful anyway for most of the people?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.