Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revilo

revilo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm in the UK and all issues with the fan and the screen seem to be isolated to the US, is that right?

And I can only just afford the F now so i am doubting my cash situation in 2 months times, for a probably marginally better system and a more than marginal price increase.

2. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I received about 5 minutes after uploading the How-To Secondary HDD in ODD Bay a new 7200 rpm Seagate Momentus 500GB intended for said HDD caddy for the F's optical bay.

I guess I will have to put back in the WD Passport enclosure the slower 5400 rpm 400GB Scorpio Blue. :eek:

[​IMG]

C'est la vie!

3. kabski

kabski Newbie

Reputations:
    This solution of disconnecting the CMOS battery did the trick for me! What a relief to have the fan quiet again! You guys made my day!

4. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    Great!

Do you remember exactly how it got stuck in the first place?

Some feedback about your machine would be also appreciated by would be F owners lurking in the shadows. :)

5. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No, its effecting UK version of F as well. The screen however is a different story, in UK you can choose between matte or glossy screen, choose matte if you can as its not having any issue like bleeding,etc. Even though its more expensive, you will thank yourself later.

I dont think the 2nd version F will be more expensive then now. I'm sure they are going to cost around the same, as that is how much customer willing to pay these day, better graphics/processor doesn't always mean a price increase. A pentium 4 laptop many years ago might cost around $2000-$3000 US.

6. revilo

revilo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    well, my only option on sony style is:

41.6 cm LCD, 1920x1080, webcam
    41.6 cm (16.4") VAIO Display Premium HD1080 (1920 x 1080 pixels) (16:9) + built-in "Motion Eye" digital camera (0.3 Mega Pixels)

So I assume that is the matte

7. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Roweraay,

What was the total cost of all parts for the screen? Does the new screen use more power, or can't you tell? Is the computer hotter? How about the power supply?

I am just wondering if the dual lamps could push the computer over its power limits, especially with your top of the line componenets.

Otherwise, this sounds GREAT!

Bill

8. kabski

kabski Newbie

Reputations:
    I remember closing the lid when the battery level was very low. A few hours later it would not power on but just blink green instead. I removed the battery and then it was possible to power on (on AC). I saw a screen containing this message for about two seconds: 'INTEL ME IGNITION FIRMWARE IS BOOTING FROM THE FACTORY DEFAULT IMAGE'. From then on, the fan was stuck at 100% every time from 30 seconds after power on.

9. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    We found a solution & maybe it would be equally important to find the cause so we could avoid it & request a patch from_Sony.

Is your battery critical action hibernate? What is your lid closing action? Sleep?

My guess is again interfering with the hibernation process by also giving the order to the F to sleep.

It seems there is no higher priority for the current action & blocking everything else, hibernation in this case.

That's just speculations but I prefer this subject than the "upcoming" refresh. :)

10. niebyl2002

niebyl2002 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I bought mine F11 over 3 months ago, while I love everything about this laptop for some reason (we all know why) I can't get used to the screen. I remember how nice was the FW matte screen so I decided to do something about. First I started looking for EU matte full hd screen and i couldn't find it. Then I saw a privacy screen and anti glare monitor film. So I order one and today finally installed it.

Guys the difference is huge!!!

012_MOD.jpg

013_MOD.jpg

1. I cut the film to the screen size (ofcourse i rush it and cut it a bit unevenly, I will be ordering new film again and this time I'll take my time).
    2. Unscrew two top screws of the front scren bezel

3. Apply the film onto the screen right under the bezel.

004_MOD.jpg

Screen looks original, you can't tell that the film was applied. Color looks great, brightness didn't suffer at all, no glare and somehow the viewing angle increased.

And all that just for $19.99 :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.