Official Sony VAIO F Series Owners lounge *PART 2*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by eagle17, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay, my new dual-CCFL Full-HD screen is on the F-series now. I got my dual-CCFL inverter part# today and within 10 minutes the screen was on the laptop and ready to go.....initial impressions....

When placed side-by-side, the new screen has a noticeably deeper blacker color than the F-series Full-HD screen. I had noticed this a few days back but today I took both screens and placed them side-by-side in a sunlit room and it was very obvious. The F-series screen looked grayish beside the new screen. Taken in isolation, the F-series screen does look black but beside the black-ness of the new screen, the "black" of the F-series comes across as gray.:eek:

It has been a while since the F-screen was turned off and hence I don't recall exactly how it looked but the new screen is very evenly lit and the vertical viewing angles are better than what I recall of the F-series Full-HD screen.....even though not as good as the angles on my HP/Compaq 8710W 1920x1200 screen (which is a laptop specifically built for graphical/engineering applications).

Clearly the color on the new screen needs to be re-calibrated, since the color profile is still set to my old F-series screen's profile (slrosenfeld's profile). Overall, I believe the new screen is definitely better than the full-HD screen that came on the F.....there is no doubt about that.

I might take my F-laptop to the local bestbuy and compare it with the F-series that is on display there, and do a side-by-side comparison to see how much of an improvement has come about with the new screen.

Overall, I am a happy camper since I can finally get to use my laptop after the long period of hibernation.:)

Will provide more feedback after using it for a while.:cool:

2. njsss

njsss Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thank you all for so much helpful information. I was originally going for a 160G intel SSD, but the budget got cut significantly (none come out my pocket though). So better to have one than none, I guess. I might just install win 7 and one other program. Hopefully the 40G can last another year when the price comes down. Thanks Joe for such a great wrap up of installing 2nd hdd. I'm waiting for my caddy from newmodeus, and a replacement of the notebook. That's right. The one I got has a crack on corner of the cover.

3. roweraay

roweraay Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Okay, I ran a quick video that was pretty horrible on the old screen, since the darker portions just blended in together and it was tough to make out what was going on. No such problems with the new screen ! :cool:

4. andremaul

andremaul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Guys, I finally managed to fix my bricked F, and also the full-speed fan problem! I tried to do what "To No End" suggests on his post, but I ended up bricking my F, it wouldn't turn on anymore and I don't know why. So I'll explain what I did, it worked for me, will probably work for everybody, I don't think you need to brick your F to get the same result.

It's very easy:

1 - Disconnect AC power and remove battery;

2* - Open the middle compartment under the F (the one that gives access to the RAM modules);

3* - You'll be able to see a small plug connected to a battery (which happens to be the CMOS battery). Unplug it, and leave it alone for a minute;

3 - Now press and hold the power button for a minute;

4 - Plug the CMOS battery again and close the middle compartment;

5* - Connect AC power and power on the computer.

And you're done! The fan will run quiet again. After that you can shut down the computer and put the battery back in place.

*2,3,5 - You may need to remove the HD before doing step 3 (I did it but I don't know if it's necessary), and maybe you can insert the battery again before powering the computer.

WARNING: IF YOU ARE USING METALLIC TWIZERS, DON'T TOUCH ANY PART OF THE CIRCUITS! In fact, it is better if you don't use any metallic tools.

Here's the link to my original problem:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?p=6158353&posted=1#post6158353

And that's it, I hope this helps, and I'm not responsible if you mess your computer doing this. :D

Special thanks to "To No End" and to "Joe Bleau", as they suggested unplugging the CMOS battery.

5. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Glad it worked! Especially because you are in Brazil, so far away from the Sony_US support for your US F. :)

When I posted the disconnect CMOS battery tip & other trouble shooting suggestions here, I realized looking @ the mobo photo how close the connector was to the memory sticks & thought it may be possible to unplug it via the memory door but was too lazy to try it. Thanks for the tip & congrats!

So it seems the fan stuck @ 100% is not a hardware problem after all...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"... You may need to remove the HD before doing step 3" - I guess you mean you removed & re-seated the HDD. That step was suggested in case you local repair shop messed up since they could not fix your fan stuck @ 100% problem. It does not hurt anything to do that anyway.

Maybe a warning could be added: if you are using metallic tweezers, don't touch any part of the circuits! In fact, don't use any metallic tool.

[​IMG] Maybe a recall of the recipe for getting the F's fan stuck @ 100% which was according to previous posts:

1- Run F on battery with Critical battery low state action set to Hibernation (default).

2- When the F's green power button LED is flashing showing near battery exhaustion & entering the process of hibernating: interrupt normal process completion by connecting to AC or pressing power button or remove battery.

Et voilà! Fan stuck @ 100%!

To prevent this: allow hibernation to be completed by waiting for the green power button LED to turn off. Plug, wait about 15 seconds then turn on normally (not necessary but that's me liking the safe side).

Note: If the laptop goes into hibernation because the battery reached a critical low state then one may expect that it will not turn back on while still on battery power. That's normal.

6. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Gd job,how does the dual inverter fit to the F casing?Picture please :), SONY should choose the dual CCFL instead if they want to go with CCFL route. Tried to play some blu ray/hulu and see if you have some light bleed from the bottom of the screen.

7. revilo

revilo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Im in the UK and will almost definitely be getting the top end version of this laptop quite soon after first pondering over the E series and the XPS 16, this looks like the best choice, especially after the real long review I watched on youtube.

gunna get the I7, full HD, 640GB, 8GB.

I do keep reading about an update to the F series maybe happening at the end of june but I feel that it is probably better to buy one of this generation as im sure all manafacturing issues have been ironed out, am i right to think that it would be better to get this laptop now rather than wait? i cant really see what they could add to it aside fro better graphics.

Is is possible to change the graphics in this laptop?

8. andremaul

andremaul Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Added the warning. :D

Yes, looks like it's a corrupted CMOS problem. Something corrupts the CMOS memory when entering the hybernation process, and the only way to fix it is to completely erase the CMOS memory, which can be done by unplugging it's battery OR by following To No End tutorial (although it didn't work for me), since BIOS setup won't let you reset ALL settings.

9. Glashub

Glashub Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Good for you roweraay. You deserve a break. Can you post again where you got the screen, the product number, etc? (I'd have a computer guy put it in). I might just consider that a justifiable upgrade since I intend on keeping the laptop for a while I feel like I wasted my money putting a blu-ray into this laptop because the screen just doesn't seem to handle dark/black scenes very well. Otherwise a pretty good investment.

10. new_vaio_F

new_vaio_F Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you can wait, that is better..as the F could only get better on its 2nd incarnation around June-July. I would assume the same as well, but I heard people still having Morse code issue for those who just got their F..so I dont know. They could redesigned the fan to be on the backside instead, etc...and possibly a better screen with better graphics/processor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.