Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 5*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpride

jpride Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's a button on the upper right above the num pad next to the Vaio button. By default it launches the Vaio Control Center but can be changed to a number of other options, one of which is mute. This can be done in the Vaio Control Center. The VCC can still be run under programs in the Start Menu if you remap the S1 key.

Edit: I see anseio answered. I should learn to type faster. :)

2. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    LOL. Speedy fingers.

3. morning2

morning2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Really :yes: Thankyou, thankyou so much. iam so happy after hearing this. i just needed a button which will act as mute. doesn't matter if it is dedicated or not. anseio, jpride, i can't thankyou enough. you both have solved one very big problem that i was having. Thank you. Thank you very much :) :notworthy:

4. Paingiver

Paingiver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    In my EU F11, I have the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 that operates in both the 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz

You can use any number of utilities to re-map the keys. I put the volume down/up onto the multi-media previous/next track buttons.

5. gthompson34

gthompson34 Newbie

Reputations:
    I just got my F1390 via FedEx yesterday. Holy crap is this thing amazing. Very fast. I don't have the fastest internet speed but second to, and it is amazing. Switching applications, multi-tasking is done so quick. Backlit keyboard appears to be a sensor that turns it on by itself but doesn't stay on, but im sure this is an issue the forum has addressed already.
    Absolutely love this machine.

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M GPU (1GB VRAM)
    500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [7200 rpm]
    Adobe Creative Bundle
    No Fresh Start
    16.4" VAIO Display (1600x900)
    Intel® Core™ Quad i7-740QM processor (1.73GHz)
    SuperMulti
    Microsoft Windows® 7 Professional
    8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-SDRAM-1333

6. gthompson34

gthompson34 Newbie

Reputations:
    Oh forgot to add.... Played Call of Duty 4 with no problems.

OK. Im a newbie. I just found where I can turn the backlit keyboard on at all times when the surroundings are dark. I'll shut up now. LOL

7. xingren

xingren Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I believe I have seen in in the Sony Control Panel when you press the S1 button. You have the option to have it stay on for a number of durations or permanently.

8. xingren

xingren Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Got my Canadian F13 on the weekend. Unfortunately, the premium HD screen is semi-glossy here too. After changing the color profile according to guide found in the forum, the color is much richer and no longer look washed out. The screen still needs to be tilted almost all the way back to look normal during desktop application use and forward a little to look not too dark during movies. Found one blue stuck pixel which is not noticeable. Compared to my 5 year old IBM T41p with 1600x1200 matte screen, the black is not as deep but the contrast and color is more vibrant with worse viewing angle.

Overall, I am happy with the laptop. Have not noticed any high pitched sound yet. The laptop is fairly quite during normal use and the fan occasionally speed up which can be heard.

Ripped out the advertisement stickers on the left and right of the mouse pad because I kept mistaking the one on the right side for the pad when not looking.

Followed the guide to do clean install and found that after the second reboot the application install screen is different from the guide for F12. It came up with installing Vaio Messenger first instead of the the audio driver. I aborted the install process with CTL-ALT-DEL and the laptop booted into a clean activated Windows install with only Vaio Messenger installed. Good enough. Had to download the drivers and the recommended Vaio application from Sony website and install them manually. After all is done, the boot up time shortened to 1 min from 1 min 45s from the factory state.

9. gr-fan

gr-fan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    As I'm still into the whole laptop thing after my happy FW buy, I visited a local media store today which exhibits an F12Z1 (740 QM/Premium screen), I asked them to unlock Windows and opened some video webpages to get it to some CPU load - though I couldn't hear the fan sound very good in the overall shop noise, I could spot the described whistling noise.
    Yet the premium black laptop looked very neat amongst all the other glossy entertainment Sony E's & other notebooks.

10. Dr.leXus

Dr.leXus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, what about USB in the canadian model? USB 3.0 or USB 2.0? Please check right side of the laptop. Can you take a pic of USB ports?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.