Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 5*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Just one request from you guys (thanks to anseio and fishon for the links and especially anseio for pointing me towards the UBCD) - does anyone have count_scheluma's screen profile? I'd really like to have it, but I saw that the original link is now dead. If anyone has it and would be willing to share, that would be awesome and I would be forever thankful!

Here you go

2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Just one request from you guys (thanks to anseio and fishon for the links and especially anseio for pointing me towards the UBCD) - does anyone have count_scheluma's screen profile? I'd really like to have it, but I saw that the original link is now dead. If anyone has it and would be willing to share, that would be awesome and I would be forever thankful!

Here you go

Attached Files:

3. DeWinte

DeWinte Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Most of the info in the guide isn't the actual clean install, it's background information. Such as what programs do what, which things are important etc. How to choose whether to keep recovery partition or not and so on. The important actual clean install process is pretty much booting to the recovery disks, choosing the option as described in the guide for the F12_then selecting to start the process of your choice. After the restarts as said in the guide you have to kill a certain process by having your task manager open in advance being ready to cancel at a specific program. The whole point is for the CLEAN INSTALL. Recovery disks give you the FACTORY install, the CLEAN INSTALL is achieved by stopping the FACTORY install before it's done installing all the extra bloatware. That is the whole point. You get Win7 fully set up, you get your drivers and so on, and it's just a few things you have to install from the recovery disks or from the sony_website.

If this is too much then don't bother clean installing, it's nice to do and gives you a clean and lean system but if you can't figure it out then don't bother, the laptop works as it is. A clean install is for the user that wants a clean system to run faster and wants the best from their system, it's not exactly required for someone who isn't that technical (eg. thinking they need ultimate without researching it). If you still want to do it, ALL the information is there AND in the owners lounge threads, it seriously is.

The clean install is fairly simple. JoeB's guide is thorough but the key points are also clear to see, seriously read it through many times. Is English your primary language? Any which way if you can't figure it out after all this then just leave it and uninstall some of the bloatware if you want to.

As an aside, it's quite annoying not being able to rep people for good posts when this is the only thread I really frequent. Having to spread the rep around.. apart from viewing other threads I'm yet to find more posters to rep :/

4. omaroo

omaroo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    well the recovery disks are factory settings, kinda of weird u have to terminate a process for a clean install

Just made my recovery disks i think, hope they work, thing is when i put the first disk in it came with an auto run for sony which i ran and then came up with amessage said click ok to reinstall driver or programs or click cancel to format or reinstall windows, and i clicked the latter, hope everything works.

5. lazaross

lazaross Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So, there is nothing that we can do..

6. Milos1977

Milos1977 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    thanks man. much appreciated. I'm typing this on $2000 dell inspiron, the best money could buy 6.5 years ago :) Its still hanging in there but this F13 will be a worthy replacement.

cheers

7. omaroo

Reputations:
    guys can you please give me anwser to which option to pick to do a complete fresh install from the following BOLD text.

In the Select recovery type window, select the desired recovery option:

* Factory condition : Restores the computer to the original factory software configuration.
    * Custom recovery - Remove recovery contents : Removes the recovery drive and restores the computer to the original factory software configuration.
    * Custom recovery - Resize C: and create D: drive : Allows you to change the size of the C: drive and allocates the remaining space to a newly created D: drive.
    * Custom recovery - C: drive only : Restores the C: drive to the original factory software configuration. If a second partition exists on the hard drive, such as a D: drive, the files stored there will not be deleted.

8. Milos1977

Milos1977 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    btw.
    This high pitched noise is not uncommon in other brands. My old Inspiron 8600 dell has it noticable specially when mainly idle when its very quietin the room. One other laptop (also dell inspiron but about 4 years younger) at my work does the same thing.

I used to do a lot of sound, and i can tell you this "micro noise" as i called it used to get even through my fire wire 410 external sound card and get into sound recording. I coud hear it on headphones whhen playing back tracks recorder with this machine. let me resure you, as i did A LOT of trouble shooting and investigating, it did get through the 1394 port from my dell to headphone and mic pre amps. Different laptops didn't have it at all.

I don't know weather this was processor producing this noise when its working at certain level, or some other component, but I can hear it right now as i type this on my dell. Not continuous, but in short/long bits

9. omaroo

Reputations:
    anyone please reply to my above post?

10. dmk2

dmk2 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If possible, I'd return it and try another F. The sound exists on my F11 but only at a very low level; I can't hear it with the fan running unless I put my ear near the vent. Since only a minority of F owners are bothered by this sound, I think there's a good chance that another F would be better.

For those who have a bad CPU whine, which processor? I wonder if the problem is worse for some processors than others because their clock speeds may be different in the same power state.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.