Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *Part 5*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    Hi Mido...

1 - The first thing you should do is start VAIO Care and make your Recovery Discs.

2 - Clean Install and Fresh Start are very similar. I think Frest Start does actually come with some Sony programs installed. I think Fishon has a Fresh Start, so can answer better.

Yes, a Clean Install will make a huge difference. There are a lot of things running in the background that you may neither want, nor need. They use up resources and cause your CPU and fan to work more than they should. See this Clean Install using Recovery Discs guide for a lot of useful information. Give a read a few times over, then feel free to ask questions.

3 - Yes. There is a feature in the VAIO Control Center (that's the S1 button) > Power Management > Battery called "enable battery care...". This has a little bit of info. Basically, you can set a max charge limit, which will help prolong the life of your battery.

You're going to love having this laptop. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. Paingiver

Paingiver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    1... Unbox it!
    Then check that everything is present and correct.
    Check for scratches, dents etc.
    Boot up into windows and make sure the spec is correct and that everything is working OK.
    Try out the included sony apps to see what you'll want to load back after doing your clean install.
    NOW MOST IMPORTANT! Make your system recovery DVD's.

2... The clean install will speed up the (already fast!) laptop quite a bit, so is worth doing.

3... If you're going to use it plugged in most of the time then go into battery care and set it to charge to only 50%
    If you use it out and about alot then put it on 80% and top it up before you go.

Hope you have fun with your new lappy!

3. DeWinte

DeWinte Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As anseio said, it includes instructions for the F12_reading the guide through and through a few times should make it all come clear. The fact is that if it goes wrong you'll have the recovery disks to start the process again, so no problem if you went wrong. The install is from recovery disks which return your F_to factory condition but you stop the process early hence the clean install. You get your Win7 as it was from the factory fully active, you get most of the drivers etc and the guiide tells you which other drivers you may need. As far as programs go, try them all out and write down the ones you like and want to reinstall, also check the guides list of programs to further help you decide which programs to reinstall from the recovery disks or from the Sony_support website. Everything you need is there, you can speak and write English and you're at University so you shouldn't have any problems at all, if you do ask (again as anseio says) a SPECIFIC question to do with the process that you're having problems with. You should be able to do it all and fine as many others have before you. I write this post because I hope to reduce the following posts from you questioning the clean install process, read the guide carefully.

Regarding the post about 3D tech and your F12_ we get that you're happy with your laptop but now you're sounding like someone defending their purchase decision and their laptop over the future (just like some others). Be happy with your F12_if others want to talk about future revisions then let them.

@MrVGA, what will be your use for the laptop? Makes a large difference also, how important aesthetics are to you, screen quality, graphics card and thermal management among other things. Depending on your preferences we may be able to advise you on a purchase, also which region are you from? Granted the which laptop should I buy section may be a better place to look, I doubt many F_owners would frequent it so no problems from me having the post here to get good answers.

@mangosango, it's great you got your work files off :) shame about the game saves, if you got the work files and docs is there no way to get just a few game saves aswell? Great to see you up and running again! Is this the first proper HDD failure from a user in the thread, after using the laptop for a while (as in not a HDD failure in the first week)?

4. JohnNL

JohnNL Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Have been reading the F series threads and am leaning towards getting the F13 series (instead of the Z13 series) but i do have a few questions before getting one.

- When receiving the F13 preinstalled with an esata 2.5" harddrive, is it possible to fit an SSD as the primary drive and the harddrive as secondary?
    Any tutorials or guides on this already?
    - Does the F13 have any display or sound or fan problems that many previous F series laptops had?

Thank you in advance :)

5. lazaross

lazaross Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Pls help me!! :(

6. gr-fan

gr-fan Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Look through this part 5 thread - on pages 18ff., the non-fan high pitch sound problem is described in all detail.
    In the following post, user Drambuie perfectly explains where the noise technically comes from:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/son...i7-owners-thread-part-5-a-20.html#post6769572
    Roughly, the noise comes from the chipset and sets in when the CPU is almost idling. Appearantly it's a common problem of many, though not all F notebooks, and high voltage Intel processors in general. You may use Google with the keyword "CPU whine" to find many other threads and examples of more or less similar issues, also concerning MacbookPro and HP Envy.
    I'm not sure what to recommend - I think sending the notebook back in favor of a new F isn't even a save option (Edit: obviously you're out of the return time anyway), as the problem is that common and there isn't a way to fix it. At least I was told so by my repair service, and my forum impressions support this. But then, it isn't a damage at all, it's just very irritating, especially in combination with the F's standard droning and unsteady fan sound in addition. So it depends on you what to do with it!

7. DeWinte

Reputations:
    1. Replacing the HDD guide here.
    Using the HDD as secondary you have 2 options, a) Replace the ODD with your HDD using this guide here. You could then just use an external ODD enclosure, all detailed in the guide. b) You could buy a power over eSATA enclosure as discussed by many users, although this means when you want to use it it'll be a plugged in as shown in a picture in the second link.

2. If by your name, you are Dutch then you'd have the EU matte screen which has only received good feedback. Sound? If you mean the high pitched noise from the CPU area (the issue gr-fan links to above) then nobody has said if the F13_has this problem but apparently it's prevalent among i7 & i5 processors, and you may or may not suffer from it, but with the apparent mobo change on the F13_and the supposed better i7 management then maybe there is a change in the problem causing the sound. If not, then not that many complain about the sound. The other "morse code" sound shouldn't be there and if it was it's easily fixed. There is a chance of getting the sound I mentioned first with any i7 laptop supposedly, and there are ways to minimise it's presence. Fan problems I'm not sure which you mean... The fan is louder than some but the laptop is one of the coolest and so has good thermal management with a single fan. If the fan spins on max the whole time then you need to reset the CMOS that's all and has happened to a few people once or so :). Not sure of much else to mention about the fan.

Any other questions just ask, with either the F13_or Z13_you should be happy! Of course this thread may be biased :p.

8. omaroo

omaroo Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i am really confused, i have read joe bleaus guides but its too much to take in, i dont know why you have to abort vaio rescue care in F12, i thought it would be simplier to do a fresh install.

9. as41

as41 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi Guys,

I'm nearly there in purchasing the F13 but am still confused on a few points. I hope someone can give me some advice towards my decision.

I am now lookig at two different series's and due to the screens. How do you feel the UK Vaio Display premium compares to the E Series Full HD 1920x1080 17.3 Led Backlit screen? Will the Led backlit screen give a crisper, clearer image? It seems that the F series really should have had the same quality screen as appose to the ccfl backlight.

Also with the UK Dispaly Premium being matte, is it true that the images/videos are a little duller and not as crisp as the normal glossy screens. Screen quality, brightness and crispness is all important to me and I dont really want to throw away £1600 if its not going to look as good as a normal dell led backlit full hd screen which in my opinion is very crisp.

Thats my only really dilema left as I am used to a dell glossy screen at current but love all the other feautures of the F series.

It seems that the E series maybe a better option and screen may produce better quality than the display premimum.

Your thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

10. DeWinte

Reputations:
    Quality and crispness are very different things. The F_matte screen will give better colour representation and is meant to be a screen for those that care about quality screens. The EC series screen I'm unfamiliar with, apart from passing one in a store, with the glossy you "may" have a brighter screen and look crisper.

A screen is not just about it's backlighting technology, the F_matte screen uses dual CCFL backlighting and achieves near 100% Adobe colour representation. Those lucky enough to have these screen have been very impressed, and so I would say the best way to see which would be better for you would be to compare side by side. It's oversimplifying to say anything else, such as the E series would be x y or z. If you search for luminance information on both the F_matte screen and the EC_series you'll find out about brightness, other than that it'll be hard to find out on the web but I'd definitely say the F_matte screen is great. You may want to compare a few other things between the series such as CPU, GPU and so on, good luck :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.