Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    + you can select the large capacity battery instead of the regular one for $100 only for better underside ventilation, angled keyboard & 50% more battery life. Check the large capacity battery photos by slrosenfeld here.

[​IMG]

2. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well I don't think anyone here has that issue (or atleast they haven't said anything). Hope we've been of some help.

3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  4. raincity

raincity Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've tried IE, Firefox and Chrome, all have the same problem. Multiple video driver versions make no difference. I didn't get the Flash notification. I'll give that a try, thanks.

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Have you tried this?

Go to Control Panel > System > Hardware(tab) > Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers > Primary IDE Channel (right click and choose properties)
    Click on the "Driver" tab then "Uninstall". Windows will now tell you to restart so let it - ok when the restart has finished it will reinstall the driver for the IDE controllers.

I had network connection issues and had to do this with my network drivers.

6. pandabear2cute4u

pandabear2cute4u Newbie

Reputations:
    Well, the reason Im just going with a non personalized model, is because my friend can get me no tax at that particular retailer. The F127 is pretty much exactly what I wanted anyways, besides the hard drive.

I read through some of those posts about the hard drives and such, but my lack of computer hardware knowledge is keeping me from understanding much of it.. Some people prefer a 7200 speed drive and others say the difference isnt that much after you get to a certain hard drive size? My main concern is the speed at which I will be able to render video..

Oh, also.. Something I forgot to mention, most of the use for this machine will be to edit videos and to play Starcraft 2.. The little research Ive done makes me think I should be able to do both of these tasks just fine?

7. August1991

August1991 Newbie

Reputations:
    I hesitated too about the F13 before ordering my F12 but I finally pulled the trigger. I reckoned that the F12 fixed any critical problems in the F11 and anyway, the specs/price of the F12 that I ordered are good for me.

Well, I sent it to a SonyStyle store which received it about 3 days ago and I just now have the time to go through Joe Bleau's de-Bloating process. (Yesterday, I played with it for a few minutes in its pre-bloat setting. I played several homegrown AVC-HD files and they were perfect. No stutter.)

One of my fears was the build because I have a Sony FW140D that has a nice screen but a cr*ppy build. This F12 is built solid. I won't be afraid to throw this thing on a security belt or if my briefcase drops.

A nice touch so far that I didn't know about: the F12 has an optical audio (mini Toslink) out. With a 3$ adapter, you can connect this sucker to a 5.1 audio system!

I'm anxious to install Sony Vegas and try some real editing. (I opted for the 1920 screen, BD burner and the 8 GB ram.)

-----

PS. Joe Bleau, thanks a million for your F11/F12 Clean Install page. If you ever have the time, it should be separated into F11 and F12 sections. With an F12, it seems that you don't need a wired USB mouse. But I quibble.

8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Am I missing something? Don't all laptops have the same optical audio out- a Toslink mini?

9. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback, glad it worked for you. :cool:

"...you can connect this sucker to a 5.1 audio system!" - This is intriguing! Are you saying that 5.1 works via optical? I thought by looking at Control Panel > Sound > Speakers > Configure that the F was 2.0, stereo only. But OMG: Control Panel > Sound > Digital Output > Advanced & 5.1 is available in the drop down menu! :eek:

+1 for your rep. [​IMG] (Come on cheapo/lazy, click on the weird icon if you find a post helpful or interesting).

So a set of 5.1 speakers with optical input like one of those would work with the F w/o a sound system? (I'm a audio noob)

[​IMG]

10. QuePasa87

QuePasa87 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I just got my F12 today! I also received my Everki Beacon backpack and my Logitech Z205 speaker. Now with my Momentus XT 500GB and my Cooler Master Notepal U3 I'm finally ready to start Joe Bleau's clean install this weekend! And it's labor day weekend! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.