Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cirrusbarbs

cirrusbarbs Notebook Guru

Reputations:
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    NZXT Cryo LX Black laptop cooler for the F

I would easily make the purchase again. Powered by both USB or AC. Gives you 5 extra USB ports. Adjustable fan speed- there are three fans. Gives the laptop an approx 15% angle which improves usage. Laptop sits perfectly on top with about a 1/2 inch extra on each side- the cooler not the laptop. Cons: not portable (although it folds in two) and the pointed ends are a little sharp.

3. djmafia

djmafia Newbie

Reputations:
    Just did a clean install using Joe Bleau's guide on my new F12. It did work perfectly! :) One suggestion. When the vaio care application came up I almost didn't think to hit ctl-alt-delete because I wasn't aware I was already in Windows. Thus, putting in a note indicating that you can open task manager even though it doesn't appear to be in Windows would be great!

After getting everything done it was just as J. Bleau indicated. None of the bloatware on the computer and everything working perfectly! Thanks!!

4. cirrusbarbs

Reputations:
    what do you think about the one i was thinking on buying? he link is on the page before this.

5. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for the feedback, glad it worked for you. :cool:

Yes, that's the point: after Windows is installed, you interrupt the following cr@pware installation step with Task Manager as you are in Windows. :) Will try to make it more explicit in the Vaio_F Series Custom OEM clean install guide. Edit: Done! Added your observation to the guide, thanks.

Was there any Value Added Software (Webcam Companion, WinDVD, etc) missing in the Vaio_Care software reinstall options like Jef & Gandalf reported in previous pages with fix feedback here? Is yours a US_F12?

[​IMG]

6. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    The Thermaltake Notebook cooler Model CLN0008 was in the running when I was shopping.

7. cirrusbarbs

Reputations:
    I was looking at this hard drive for the sony but I am not sure if this will fit. How can a company make a 2.5 HDD and not use the standard size.

Can someone let me know if this will fit please. Thanks

Also what hard drive does the vaio f12 ship with. I just want a huge drive thats good and not crap.

8. John_WA

John_WA Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    +1 I have used a laptop cooler on the three different laptops that I've owned before buying my F12. I went through three of them before because I didn't like the first two for one reason or another. However I couldn't use my old cooler for the F12 because it was too small. I researched this to death before settling on the same NZXT that you have, Fishon, and I am very happy with it. I especially like the easily adjustable fan speed and the fact that it is very quiet. It also seems very well made and looks very nice too. Since my F12 is a desktop replacement, portability is a non-issue for me.

9. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    If I may offer my personal opinion, the cooler you're looking at might be overkill. The VAIO's cool fantastically. Both Willscary and I have the CoolerMaster Notepal U2 and love it.

@Fishon: That is a sexy sexy cooler you've got. I might have been convinced to get that one if I didn't have my mind set on the CoolerMaster (it's considerably portable, which suits my needs well).

@John_Wa: Where in/around Olympia are you? I was raised in Lacey.

10. cirrusbarbs

Reputations:
    Will the F12 fit on it or stick out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.