Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lundstrom.emil

lundstrom.emil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am glad, the noise is gone with another power adapter (Kensington Universal Adapter 70W), it is silent. I will be at my friend tomorrow so I will test it on his system. Same result with other power outlets in my home.

Will will at any new knowledge or discovery update my original post so people can find the answer easier. A link can be found in my signature. :)

I have tried it to, I always gets my 8 cores but not all my memory. Evan I set it to 8192MB I only get 7,23GB. :confused:

2. DeWinte

DeWinte Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds good then it may either be a faulty adapter that you have with the F or it's because the F adapter is delivering 120W. I'm inclined to say that the adapter is defective. If you live near a Sony style and can go in easily then I'd suggest you go in and test for the issue with one of their adapters. Just explain it to them and I'm sure they'll let you try. If the problem isn't there with the new F series adapter then you're in the right place to exchange or buy a new one and solve your problem :). An early congrats.

3. DeWinte

DeWinte Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sigh if I wasn't out I'd find a link for you anyway changing the msconfig file for that has no effect on boot times as it autodetects cores during boot and setting to a number below 8 will restrict the cores you have upon boot. If you use the number 4 you'll have 2 physical and 2 virtual cores running therefore only half your CPU. Using the figure 8 does nothing as you'd get 8 from the auto detect also. It affects your computer after boot up and should be left as default. I can't quite remember what it's for I just remember it only being able to cap the cores your computer uses. I'd suggest changing msconfig back. If I remember I'll have a look for some links on the matter if not hopefully you do :).

4. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    I just got my 4 USB port Express Card 34. I'm going to love it.

Can you send me the image? I don't remember it and might want to make it my login page as well, though I see that page for about 2 seconds. :p

I do use that setting, but decided to run some tests so we can know for real. First, I'm using an Intel X25-M 80GB SSD for my boot drive and am using the freeware BootTimer to measure the startup time.

First, in msconfig, I checked the box for Cores and selected 1. The boot time was 86 seconds. What to expect on one core though, right?

Next, I set the dropdown back to 1, then unchecked the box (this is the original configuration). Timed it. Checked Cores and selected 8. Timed it. The numbers were really close, so I alternated back and forth over 4 boot times.

Unchecked = 13.026 & 12.760 seconds
    8 Cores = 14.180 & 12.776

So, I think that with the box unchecked, the system does actually go for as many cores as it can. I no longer see the importance of changing this setting.

5. anseio

Reputations:
    @Joe Bleau: Got my replacement PoeSATA cable today. I shopped for one that looked different than the one that sucked. This one is much sturdier in the ports. Doesn't disconnect at the slightest wobble. :D

For those interested, this is the cable that fits well into the eSATA ports on my VAIO and external HDD enclosure:
    Power Over eSATA Cable

This is the one that was really wobbly in both ports and would disconnect the drive at even the slightest nudge, causing me to have to uninstall and reboot before it would recognize the eSATA connection again:
    Amazon.com: Power Over eSATA Cable: Electronics

Though they both look the same in the photos, the latter one actually did not arrive with the USB wire running up the side. It was a single, thick, flat cable and highly inflexible. Whereas the better cable has about 2mm sticking out from both ports, the crappy cable was about 4mm of connecter showing that would not slide into the port. It's in my trash, I can measure them when I get home, if anyone cares. :p

6. Paingiver

Paingiver Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What do you mean you only get 7.23GB! Where are you reading this? Is this figure before or after windows has taken what it needs?

7. PwnCakes193

PwnCakes193 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I did a clean install based on Joe Bleaus guide, and man has this thing been flying! I'm running 72 processes, 36% memory out of 4 GB's of RAM, with VLC open, chrome open, utorrent open, skype, and steam open. The fan has been running quieter, and less, and bootup is noticeably faster. This clean install is great!

8. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's funny as following your 2 links they are both sold by Micro SATA Cables. :) Maybe you could exchange the bad one? Does the good one has a model #? How long is it? What is the brand & model of your enclosure? Did you benchmark it?

9. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Nothing to do with the Vaio F series...but I had one of the most awesome days in my life today.

May God bless you all the way my family and I have been blessed today!!!

10. anseio

Reputations:
    OMG, you're right. The item I ordered from Amazon was actually sold by ONBENE and I think it looks different. When I get home, I'll dig it out of my garbage and get a photo.

Sorry, no can do on the exchange. It's kinds really broken now. It chose to give me problems on a REALLY BAD day. HAHAHAHAHA.

Update:
    The part numbers on both cables are the exact same. They are both about 19" long. The new one is as photographed before. The bad one is here:
    [​IMG]

The difference is the bad one is a simple ribbon, whereas the good one has a groove, I assume, to delineate the eSATA and USB portions of the cable. I was wrong, connectors on both cables are identical, but the bad cable wobbles with easy and the good one will wiggle, but very firmly. The good cable tolerates moving the drive, whereas the bad cable did not.

Anyway, it wasn't easy to find an eSATAp enclosure. I wanted a black one, but had no luck in my US search. So, I've got a StarTech enclosure. I have not benchmarked it. What ones would you like to have done?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.