Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r-gordon-7

r-gordon-7 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I'm in full agreement about the Macbook speakers being the absolute worst. My prior computer (immediately before getting my F12) was a Macbook and the speakers were horrid sounding - extremely limited frequency range, no spearation, very limited volume and unlistenable distortion at all but the very lowest volume. The speakers in the F12 are only average at best, but significantly better sounding than the Macbook.

2. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The webcam situation for F12 is a bit confusing. Some Sony PDF spec files list it as 0.3 while other Sony documents list it as 1.3. I am guessing that in US some models of the F12 released with 1.3 megapixel camera. (?)

For the US F13 I just verify with two different SonyStyle representatives that the new F13 in the USA will come with 1.3 Megapixel camera, same for all new Vaios releasing this fall.

Finger crossed because I do use Viseo Call a lot..

3. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    The easiest way to figure this out on the F11 and F12 would be to take a highest quality snapshot, open the image in an editing program that allows you to see the resolution. Multiply the width by the height and you get the MP. I would do this, but I didn't reinstall the webcam drivers. I'll never have a use for it.

My cell phone (the fantastic and sexy Nokia 6700 classic) has a 5 megapixel cameral. The photo I took today was 1944x2592 pixels, for a total of 5,038,848 pixels (5MP).

Someone should give this a try and report back. :p

4. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Exactly ;)

Let me add thought, cameras use diferent resolution for pictures and diferent resolution for videos. WebCams are important for VIDEOS as the majority of their use is for Video Calls.

Many webcams for laptops are 1.3 Megapixels for Pictures but they only do 640X480 video, which is 0.3 Megapixels :mad:

We are in 2010 even cell-phones can do 720 HD video calls over 1.3 Megapixel front cameras, a descend laptop that respect itself now-days must have at least 1.3 Megapixels camera capable of HD video calls.

5. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    Good point.

Would it be possible to get video up and running at what would be the native resolution of the camera where the pixels were 1:1 on the display? Then, use the Snip Tool to cut out the image size and check it's resolution area from there? There has to be some way to confirm it, but I'm not willing to install the software just to figure it out.

6. EmsteR

EmsteR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Once i spilt milk on my laptop, i quickly got paper towels etc and dried it up but the next day the keys werent working. we sent it in to some computer repair place who replaced the keyboard part and said they couldnt find any other damage. will what they did have voided the warranty?

7. as41

as41 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Dear all,

Thank you for all your comments/advice regarding the sound quality of the F Series Laptop range. My decision is now swaying towards purchasing the F13 model that has just been released but before I make this £1700 sacrafice I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion if there is anything better to buy for that budget. My main criteria is that there is a good quality 1080p Screen, a Blu-Ray writer and something that is not overally bulky.

Any advice would be apprecaited.

Thank you in advance

8. Willscary

Willscary Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This is an owner's lounge. Most all of us own the F11 or F12 and a few may own the F13. We are biased.

That being said, I would not trade my F11 for another laptop (except for the F13!). My machine has all options EXCEPT Blueray, and also has a 256GB SSD. It is blazing fast. My display is perfect, although some have complained...I guess I got a "good one". The speakers are OK, but I don't plan on doing any critical listening on them...it's a laptop computer...I have better ways to listen to high quality audio. I have had no issues with this machine and the very best feature (besides the incredible power and speed) is the keyboard. This is the very first laptop that I have been comfortable typing on.

I use a Cooler Master U2 cooler (about $20) and have no fan noise other than the very quiet cooler fans unless I am benchmarking or running some intensive apps.

The F13 has an even better graphics processor and USB 3.0, while also keeping the power over eSATA port. If you have the cash, spring for the better processor and the 8GB memory. You won't be sorry! If you have a Blueray disk player at home, save a bit and get the DVD/RW. Mine is quieter than the Blueray drives in our other F11s.

My aftermarket SSD really makes this machine fly. Check your current computer. See how much hard drive space you are using. If you have a ton of music and movies on your HDD, then you may want a large HHD in your F13. If, however, you want speed and don't often use the movies or music, consider an SSD as your internal drive for daily use, and purchase a portable enclosure. You can then install the factory HDD in the enclosure and use it to store your large data files such as music, photos and movies.

Just my opinion.

9. danielh97

danielh97 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    F Series dominates all except for gaming specific laptops.

10. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.