Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmsteR

EmsteR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    is there a way to test my fan rpm?

2. Fevergame

Fevergame Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My F was so hot 100 C while playing anygame or Furmark ,is there any problem with the gpu i try to change driver but nothing fix. Pls help
    [​IMG]

3. Hayte

Hayte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe I'm seeing things wrong but those temps are incredibly good.

edit: Oh missed the max gpu core temp. :O Other than that they are great so it looks like an aberation. Have you tried running the test again and watched how quickly and under what conditions it rises to that temperature?

4. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Nobody ever reported such high GPU temperature for the Vaio_F. Are you sure you are not overclocking the GPU? :confused: Is your F on a tablecloth or rug, blocking the air intake in the bottom? Are you using an external monitor? If so, did you use Fn + F7 as recommended? "Switches the display output between your computer screen and an external display."

Are you using SpeedFan, Nvidia Tools or anything that may affect the GPU or fan? Which Nvidia driver version are you using? Our resident Vaio_F Series gaming expert Mangosango recommended this in an other thread which I did for installing the latest Nvidia driver:
    Because Nvidia Tools may remember some previous overclocking you may have done, uninstall it before doing the above. You can always re-install it after the video driver installation.

Try Everest v5.50, check the GPU temperature there to rule out a mistake by HWMonitor & report your fan speed but that's probably not your problem as your motherboard & CPU temperatures are normal/cool for a stress test. Rare but it could be a defective temperature reporting diode on the GPU.

The ultimate troubleshooting steps suggestions to rule out OS/Win updates/third party cr@p/non supported drivers/user messed up settings, etc:

- Create a full system image backup to an external drive, which is good practice anyway to preserve your customized OS, added software & personal data, with Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore > Windows Backup.

- Even better: also backup all your personal data by simply copying to an other drive.

- Restore F to OEM factory state with Vaio_Care > Recovery & Restore or your user created OEM recovery discs or press ASSIST with the F turned off. And do not add any third party software nor external devices before testing thoroughly the machine as some may cause problems.

If the problem is still present then it's probably hardware. You can now ship your unit for servicing with the peace of mind of having a full backup at home.

I agree with this post:

This is my results with Furmark + stressing the CPU @ 100%:

[​IMG]

5. Fevergame

Reputations:
    i just test again ,it take around 5 min to reach 100 C

Thank for reply
    i use on table and didn't overclock the gpu while testing .This problem start from the day i install the nvidia old Beta driver <i can't remember what ver.> after that i test with the lost planet2 benchmark .FPS is improve like never before around 40 and a few min later FPS is gone to 10 .That shock Me! .
    After that i have install new win but there always 100 C <i don't have a recovery disc if you remember my post> .A few week i send my F for vaio service in thailand they want a recovery disc and told me that they have check Hardware and it was fine . What i need to do now ?.

6. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    Follow uninstall/install instructions above.

1. Uninstall Nvidia Tools if you have it.
    2. Download the stable Nvidia driver 258.96 instead of a beta.
    3. Control Panel > Programs > uninstall ALL Nvidia drivers.
    4. Reboot in Safe Mode by rebooting and pressing F8 when the Vaio_logo appears > choose Safe Mode.
    5. Install driver 258.96 & reboot to normal mode.

7. Fevergame

Reputations:
    Thank Joe, I have try that and not work :(

Thisi is my latest test .
    -Mother board and GPU so hot!

[​IMG]

8. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    You ran the test while I was editing the post above. Here it is again with some added notes:

Don't start the CPU stress test yet as you want to check the GPU's temperature first. Un-select Core 1, 2, 3, etc for a cleaner graph like I did. Use the Preferences and the slider to change temperature min/max scale on Everest Stress Test like 100c max & 30c min for example.

1. Uninstall Nvidia Tools if you have it. Uninstall any other programs you may have used to overclock the GPU. Reboot.
    2. Download the stable Nvidia driver 258.96 instead of a beta.
    3. Control Panel > Programs > uninstall ALL Nvidia drivers.
    4. Reboot in Safe Mode by rebooting and pressing F8 when the Vaio_logo appears > choose Safe Mode.
    5. Install driver 258.96 & reboot to normal mode.
    6. Good luck! :)

What is the ambient temperature where you are testing the F?

9. Fevergame

Reputations:
    Sorry for late Joe..Thank for advice I have done all you mention above .but it still happen!:(

10. danielh97

danielh97 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    If your fan is spinning as fast as Joe Bleau's but hotter by 20-30C, then it's either foriegn materials blocking the air vent or the thermal paste was not applied correctly by Sony, I would contact them directly

By the way, I overclocked my GPU to 705 Core / 1551 Shader / 905 Memory, it doesn't get any hotter than stock clocks, as Sony (and most other laptop manufactures) don't allow the overvolting of the GPU
    Higher volts = more heat
    Higher clocks = doesn't necessarily mean more heat
    You need higher volts to reach higher clock speeds stably without crashing.

If you are a gamer, and want free 5-20 fps boost, I suggest overclocking with MSI Afterburner.
    I'm not responsible for your irresponsibility if something happens

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.