Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmsteR

EmsteR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have autoruns and the other one i just dont know which processes to delete :confused:

2. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    Ok, don't go too fast cuz Joe Bleau is giving you a hard time. I understand that you don't know much about what's going on in your laptop, other than the fan is noisy.

You have about 40-50 different processes/programs running in the background that you don't need and that are taking up resources. This will cause your fan to do more work later.

We can't tell you exactly what to disable, but you can definitely disable anything that autostarts that doesn't need to:
    PMB (Picture Motion Browser)
    All of the Sony Metadata (they're used w/ PMB)
    There are so many others and it's trial and error.

Your best bet is to clean install, but you need a backup hard drive so that you can save your existing data.

3. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Java, Acrobat, Skype, Google Update, Google Earth, Yahoo taskbar, Instant Messaging Services ,etc. are some of the items that do not need to run at startup. Remember, by disabling this stuff it's just not preloaded onto your system and the first time you clink onto one of these it may take a second longer, but this will save you on your boot times and system resources.

4. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Next time try this: run Process Explorer > View > Show Process Tree > look for the process you want & you will see what's related to it & how much resources the entire tree is using. You can also use the Binoculars (search) if you know the name of what you are looking for. Right click the process & see cool Performance graph & info. Below is before I further optimized my F.

Can't find the link right now but this was important for me (not verbatim): any OS optimization is a battery life optimization to which I add: it's also a fan rpm work reduction. :cool:

[​IMG]

One needs to determine it's own balance point between lean & fast vs. convenient programs/services. It's relative to your needs.

For example my F w/ two on-board 7200rpm HDD's boots in 58 sec. for 56 services but then if I add to Logon (startup) Everest v5.50 which is a safety feature for me with CPU, GPU, mobo & HDD's temperature monitoring & trigger alerts plus Bluetooth Tray Application and my Bluetooth mouse then the booting time climbs to 70-77 sec. according to WinBootInfo 64-bit (30 days free trial, tons of info). Since I don't boot 50 times a day, I don't care about the extra 17 sec.

SmartWi is maybe useless for you but for somebody who is not computer savvy or moving around & running plugged/unplugged often then it's just a convenient shortcut to select the network or turn on/off quickly the wifi and/or the Bluetooth. Those are 2 battery life eaters. OTOH one can simply flip the Wireless switch to disable both at once but one may want to run one or the other.

[​IMG]

This said, I disabled it from Startup since I wrote the Vaio_F Series OEM Recovery Discs clean install guide and will add a comment about disabling SmartWi in it. ThirdPartyAppMgr.exe is not running when you do that. One can do this instead of uninstalling so one can enable it anytime by selecting it via Autoruns's checkbox. It's bloatware until one needs it. ;)

After the clean install, I disabled as well using Autoruns from the Everything & Logon tabs: Vaio_Care, Vaio_Update, Realtek HD Audio Manager, Realtek Audio Background Process, ISBMgr.exe, iastoricon.exe, etc, etc but I don't have the patience to write about all of those & why I disabled them @ the present. Most programs want to be in startup, call the mother ship & add an icon on the taskbar. It's a constant fight to keep your system fast & clean. :mad2:

[​IMG]
    @ EmsteR: I dunno what you installed on your F. Just right click in Autoruns or Process Explorer and > Search Online any programs/process. If you dunno what it does, leave it alone. If you don't really need it, disable it. You can always undo the tweaks.

Make sure to create a restore point before attempting anything. A weekly full system image backup on an external drive is also a good idea as a general safety measure in case your drive dies or your F gets stolen for example.

5. OoTLink

OoTLink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The bit about being able to shut off bluetooth is why I stick with SmartWii.. it comes in very handy :)

6. cache529

cache529 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi folks,

I've always bought Vaio PCs and laptops, but it's been a while since my last purchase (2004). It's definitely time for an upgrade. I'm about to pull the trigger on the F13 (w/ i7-840qm, 320gb 7.2k rpm, 8gb ram, full hd). I did quite a bit of reading on this forum, but I was wondering if it would be easy for me to drive 3 monitors (2 external LCDs + laptop screen) with the NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M GPU. I plan to use this laptop for trading. Would I be able to plug a monitor into the HDMI port and one into the VGA simultaneously and have them all on at the same time? or would I have to utilize the expresscard slot and add a dvi adapter or miniDisplay port, etc. Thanks in advance.

7. Hayte

Hayte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Holy moly. I just stopwatched mine and it takes 19.47 seconds to reach the logon screen from hitting the power on button. Then system tray stuff and everything loads pretty much instantly. Windows start button responds instantly when you see desktop image.

Get an ssd Joe!

8. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    NOTE: With 1600 x 900 resolution! Get a sharper full-HD 1080p instead IMO.

Shop_F13 on SonyStyle US for CTO options & free Adobe Bundle.

*****_
    SSD + HDD vs. HDD
    How about using the same measuring stick like WinBootInfo for example?

I can give you my email if you would like to contribute to my 256GB SSD fund via Paypal. ;)

I need a lot of on-board storage @ a reasonable price & SSD's do not fit those criteria @ the present. Besides, if one has a small SSD but then his games or his photos are on an external drive and wants to edit them then it will work at HDD speed. The main SSD gain will be at boot & for opening the program but then the 2 drives together will consume more power. Check this NBR article, the Seagate XT HDD/SSD Hybrid is quite an interesting alternative: SSD vs Hard Drives: Performance Tests and Conclusion. The performance is close to SSD's but with 2 big pluses:

- No need for an external or secondary HD drive for storage to complete a small SSD which in the end slows down the overall real life system performance and adds to the real cost of a small SSD.

- Calculating the cost per GB of capacity with the prices listed in the review:

-Crucial C300: $149 / 64GB = $2.33/GB
    -OCZ Agility 2: $169 / 60GB = $2.82/GB
    -Seagate XT Hybrid: $130 / 500GB = $0.26/GB

The other point is that we don't know yet the long term possible speed degradation & maximum number or write/re-writes for SSD's at this point.

This said some say that they will outlive the notebooks since people replace them frequently.

Con: The XT speeds up booting for the most frequently used applications by the user while the SSD's are faster across the board.

Some images from the review:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Looking at my C > Properties > Used Space minus the Users folder size = 80GB. So that's what I need for the OS & programs alone. Considering headroom that means an SSD of at least 120GB with most of the Users files (or Profiles) on an other drive IMO. Or a bigger SSD.

9. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    That's a good question. What you are looking for is similar to ATI's Eyefinity feature.

Nvidia does not talk about multiple displays in it's GT 425M product page so one may presume that it cannot split the desktop in 3 parts, just like the GT 330M otherwise I guess they would brag about it. :( Here it says "Dual-View capable".

OTOH it has the Optimus technology feature which should help battery life automatically according to Nvidia.

10. Hayte

Hayte Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Only if you have integrated graphics though, and the Clarksfield quad cores don't have it. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.