Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmsteR

EmsteR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    how do i find out these details and how do i find out what version my NVIDIA 330m is?

2. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
  3. EmsteR

EmsteR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  4. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    :eek: Gee, I wonder why your fan is working so much...

Go back 3-4 pages & follow the numerous links.

5. zeefNL

zeefNL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  6. Trike

Trike Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

Thanks guys, That's good to know. I'll bite and give them a try. I was a little hesitant on getting one based on the issues people had in the seagate forums. However I didn't notice anyone in the seagate forums were using it in an F

Whoo hoo. I saw this deal this morning and going to order two.

Estimated ship date is 10/13

7. Tolwyn21

Tolwyn21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,

It's taken me quite a bit of time to finally read through all the various articles and register on this site. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help answer:

My model is VPC-F121FD/B, purchased here in Canada from Best Buy. It has a bilingual keyboard in which I had to select English on the OS when I first got it setup. However, the keyboard drives me nuts with the extra keys. Is it possible for me to buy English keyboard and use in my laptop? I'm looking at this one on ebay: new SONY VAIO VPC-F12 Keyboard US Black Frame Backlit on eBay.ca (item 390237975233 end time 24-Sep-10 21:19:05 EDT)

Note, my laptop doesn't have the backlit keyboard, but would that matter or work? I assume this would be just plug-n-play? Does anyone have directions on removing the keyboard and such?

I'm also positive that the 500GB 5400RPM drive is a big bottleneck in this model but considering the deal I got on this laptop I can't complain too much. However, the 160GB SSD drives are too rich for my blood at this time. I know everyone has been talking about the Momentus Hybrid drive. It's a good value I think but does anyone have any information on the battery drain?

Thanks in advance!

8. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yes, that keyboard will fit your F & the back-light will work. See Vaio_F Series - How To Replace the Keyboard & Clean the Fan

Check this article for a power consumption comparison between several other drives: Roundup: 2.5-inch Hard Disk Drives with 500 GB, 640 GB and 750 GB Storage Capacities and this one that compares the power needs of the 7200.4 to the XT: Seagate Momentus XT Review.
    BTW: welcome to the F thread!

9. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The main difference between your current keyboard and the new backlit one is the new one has a "backlit cable" (the connector will be there on your Vaio_F12).
    Using Joe's guide replacing a keyboard is not difficult to do :)
    I've done it on my European Vaio that had also a non-backlit keyboard and everything is working as it should be.

10. Tolwyn21

Tolwyn21 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That's great news. Thanks for the helpful links and advice guys -- very much appreciated. I've learned plenty from reading this thread!

Cheers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.