Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well run SC2 on both laptops side-by-side with the exact same game settings. What's their respective FPS and what's the CPU, GPU & motherboard temperatures? ;)

The more performance > the more work > the more energy consumed > the more heat > the greater the heat evacuation need > the faster the fan > the cooler is the F under load. The F is one of the coolest i7 on the market @ the present. Check this post: VAIO_F Series: A cool Cucumber. I'd rather have a working fan than an overheating laptop. Check this to see what a cooler can do for you: VAIO_F Series DIY Laptop Cooler Testing

My 1100cc motorcycle consumes more @ 190kph than my 350cc @ 90kph. Is that normal? ;)

Everything is relative.

[​IMG]

2. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    The i7 processor can get pretty hot and the VAIO F is very efficient at keeping those temps down, but at the cost of the single fan really speeding up.

At the very least, prop up the back of your VAIO an inch or two and see how the airflow underneath helps things out. Many of us here recommend the CoolerMaster Notepal U2, because the fans can be placed directly under the intake vents.

If you want to be more hardcore, perhaps consider doing a clean install using recovery disks (link in Joe Bleau's profile). It will drastically cut back the amount of backend processes that you don't know about, need, or even want.

p.s. - if you're not sure about clean install vs factory install, then you're most likely running the factory install. When you boot up, how many processes do you have running and how much ram is being used? If you've got 4GB of RAM, you can save just over 20% of it by doing a clean install. If you've got more RAM, well the savings is less, but still definitely there.

3. EmsteR

EmsteR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i dont have them here :(
    So why is laptop less efficient if it requires MUCH more cooling..

4. anseio

Reputations:
    There are things that must be considered when you're comparing across different laptop models: CPU, GPU, number of cooling fans, and how much is working in the background.

The VAIO F only has one fan, and it's very good at what it does. What's in your other laptops?

5. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lost in translation... :)

Funny, I have that kind of conversation sometimes with my girlfriend. :rolleyes:

My Kawa ZX11 1100cc @ idle produces more heat that my DR350 trail bike @ idle. In fact the ZX's fan starts every now & then @ idle. So, is my ZX w/ 150hp less efficient than my DR350 w/ 30hp? Is something wrong with the ZX?

6. EmsteR

Reputations:
    the other laptops are people i know i dont know their specs

but if gaming is one of the f series strong points i dont understand why the fan would become very loud playing anygame. even if i open up project 64 it becomes loud enough to hear with the TV on

7. EmsteR

Reputations:
  8. anseio

Reputations:
    The F is good with gaming, but it was not designed to be a gaming machine. Emulators are a different thing from gaming. They put the CPU/GPU under more of a load. It makes perfect sense that your fan is kicking in so high during that.

If the workload of the fan is going to be an issue, I stronly recommend you get a backup hard drive and then attempt a clean install. If you do not know what a clean install is... it's installing ONLY the operating system and hardward drivers. All other programs have to be manually chosen and installed by you. It prevents a lot of things from using your resources. Your VAIO should also run quieter.

Hey, do you have Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem? Does it work? It's the only game I want for gamecube emulator.

EDIT:
    Before we go any further in trying to help you out, we must know a few things:
    What are the specs of your system? Model#, CPU, GPU, HDD GB/RPM, RAM. display
    Reboot your machine and open up Task Manager (CTRL ALT DEL or CTRL SHIFT ESC) and tell us how many processes are running and how much RAM% is being used.

9. EmsteR

Reputations:
    Ok sure.
    Model#, CPU, GPU, HDD GB/RPM, RAM. display in order : VPCF116FGI, i7 720QM, not sure what gpu is , or hdd, or gb/rpm, 4 gb, 1920 x 1080.
    104 processes running 35% ram (if ram is phyiscal memory ?)

10. anseio

Reputations:
    Great, now put those in your signature.

Click:
    User CP > Edit Signature.

Your HDD info is what size and how fast. Mine is 500GB @ 7200RPM. The GPU is your graphics card. Since you have the 1920x1080 display, you've got the NVIDIA GeForce 330m.

Again, this is a high powered machine. More power than your friends' laptops. When their smaller processors are under load, they're doing less work than your i7 is doing. The i7 gets hot. Your options are either the FAN spinning OR the machine getting super hot. Have you propped the back up yet? It makes quite a difference, but won't be enough to make you really happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.