Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can use Soluto: Soluto ? Anti-Frustration Software
    To see what causes and maybe fix the slow boot process.
    Notebookreview: http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/486625-soluto-tool-help-speedup-startup.html
    Lifehacker: Soluto Is an Awesome Tool to Speed Up Your System Boot, Fix System Slowdowns
    Zdnet: Can Soluto really make PCs less frustrating? | ZDNet

[​IMG]

2. Gandalf_The_Grey

Reputations:
    No problems with my Momentus XT 500GB :)
    For me it is the a very good upgrade coming from the stock 5400 rpm Samsung drive.
    There is a thread on this forum just for this drive: http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...e-momentus-xt-hybrid-hdd-w-built-4gb-ssd.html

3. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I agree with regli's follow-up below after testing the Nightly Built Minefield:
    I went back to the very stable: the latest official FF 4 Beta in 39 languages with Win 7, Mac or Linux versions. The most popular add-ons compatible with FF 4 here. AdBlock Plus is a must IMO. No need to download Firefox Sync as it's already included in FF4. Memory Fox seems to work quite well so far on my F to limit FF's memory usage. My only other add-ons so far are: Download Statusbar, Easy Youtube Downloader, Tabscope and WebMail Notifier.

If you uninstall any beta version: DO NOT select the option to delete the profile as it will affect any previous version you have.

4. Gandalf_The_Grey

Reputations:
    An interesting deviate is Pale Moon.
    Currently at version 3.6.9 and there is a very rough 4.0 beta 6.
    The Pale Moon Project homepage
    [​IMG]
    Main features:

* Highly optimized for current processors
    * 100% Firefox sourced: As safe as the browser that has seen years of development.
    * Uses slightly less memory because of disabled redundant and optional code
    * Significant speed increases for page drawing and script processing
    * Support for SVG and Canvas
    * Support for Firefox extensions, themes and personas
    * Able to use existing Firefox profiles with a migration tool

I'm using it on a Windows XP machine, because of a bug in Firefox 4 Beta with https connections on Windows XP.
    On Win7 I use Firefox 4 Beta and loving it :)

5. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
    No it's not normal. Maybe you have a lot of cr@p running in the background? Check with your Task Manager.

You can disable unneeded processes, drivers and Logon (startup) programs with the free, small & portable (meaning no install needed) Windows Sysinternals Autoruns. Just > Start > search: Create a Restore Point to be on the safe side before tweaking anything.

While you are there download also the free, portable & powerful tool called Process Explorer which works in tandem with Autoruns to gather info about a process or driver besides being able to run alone.

Try this also:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

One can also run: ASSIST > Vaio_Care > System Care > One Click Care as the report links to some of the tools above.

Also it seems that SC2 causes a lot of problems on many brands & models of computers like loud fans, toasted GPU, etc. :eek: Try this search: playing sc2 fan loud:
    :biggrin:

6. Joe Bleau

Reputations:
  7. EmsteR

EmsteR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok i did all this but im not sure what the results mean, and also its not just sc2 but other games such as oblivion and HoN make it go very loud too

is there anyway i can show u the screenshots of the results?

8. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    That's a great find! BTW, what's the RPM of the 750GB HDD's you bought? I'm going to be in the market for a larger 2nd HDD eventually, perhaps a 1TB.

SC2 should cause your fan to work really hard. Are you using a laptop cooler, or at least raising the rear of your VAIO so that air can circulate underneath? Are you working off a clean installed system or a full Sony factory install. The factory install uses a lot more resources and would thus cause your fan to work more under more workload (I think).

9. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
  10. EmsteR

EmsteR Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    its just that my laptop is so much louder than 2 other cheaper and inferior laptops that ive seen running sc2 or any other games. my fan starts getting quite loud even if i just do an update or something, and im not sure about the clean installed system or a full Sony factory install. and no i dont raise the back or have a cooler

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.