Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeWinte

DeWinte Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Check Sony USA under specifications, the picture shows the USB 2.0/eSATA port on one side and the two USB 3.0 ports on the other. This was discussed in previous pages. The power over eSATA port is still there, just check even your own link, "USB SuperSpeed (USB 3.0) x2 - Velocidade de transferência até 2,5 Gbit/seg... Porta USB de alta velocidade (USB 2.0) x1". One USB 2.0 port wouldn't make much sense huh :).

The customised E series looks pretty nice on the USA site, ATI 5650, i5-580 2.66GHz turbo to 3.33GHz etc. Shame the case seems so cheap, but a decent option for some browsers of the thread that don't require quad core and want a slightly better GPU.

2. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Or check Sony_Asia: VPCF137HG/BI.

3. zeefNL

zeefNL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I saw your howto before, thank you for the clear, simple and well documented description! That is why I already ordered all the parts necessary as well as a backlit keyboard. Us Europeans cannot order those, probably because of the national differences in keyboards, AZERTY, QWERTZ, UK, etc. etc. Us Dutch are 'lucky', we're too small to qualify for our own keyboard so everything is US Int'l. ;-)

4. cirrusbarbs

cirrusbarbs Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi all two questions. I have searched and no luck with question one.

1) I am using Media Gallery for my music and pics because windows media center blows (doesn't put all the music from one album in one folder, it just shows all the songs and make a huge cluster of crap). Media Gallery works great for my music but it doesn't show any of my pics. I go to settings>content management>set folder to monitor. But it doesn't work because it says "VAIO content monitoring settings cannot be launched because it is not installed" I checked my recovery discs and that app is not there. I also went to the driver downloads on Sony and nothing. Anyone know where I can get this file or at least make media gallery find my pics.

2) All of a sudden my pc is slow as hell. I have disabled everything from start up and when I turn on the pc everything flies but to load up the desktop I get a black screen then after a minute it loads. I did vaio care and nothing. Any idead to speed up the start up to the desktop?

5. danielh97

danielh97 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    2) can you clarify on what you mean by "slow as hell"? Does that mean slow application loading times? If so, what apps, does that mean low frames per second during games? if so what game, settings, res.
    When your VAIO is "slow as hell", CTRL ALT DEL, open task manager, and check the CPU usage, RAM usage, and the number of processes in the Performance tab, also in the processes tab, press the "CPU" on top of the columns.
    You can try Joe Bleau's clean install which works magically for both F11/F12 owners: Click Here
    This will remove any Sony crapware which hogs your RAM resources and at times, even CPU (ei. Vaio Content Metadata Intelligent Analyzing Manager and Vaio Content Metadata Intelligent Network Service Manager, which is COMPLETELY useless and eats up your CPU cycle to scan your folders)

You can uses this application called Autoruns to find any startup programs you don't need and delete the registry keys that causes the startup
    [​IMG]

Lots of these questions have been answered in a way, so please use the search this thread function

6. cirrusbarbs

cirrusbarbs Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    When the system is fully loaded meaning all is booted up. The notebook is really fast. What kills me is the time from when you enter your password in the win7 login screen and that long wait of the desktop to get loaded

[​IMG]

7. anseio

anseio All ways are my ways.

Reputations:
    Go to User Acccounts an create a new profile with Admin rights. Log out, then log in to the new profile and see how long it takes. Ideally, it should load up as fast as your original profile used to. This will mean that you have a program in your startup that's hogging things up. If the new profile launches slow as well, then I've got no clue. :p

Inside the Autoruns program is a LOGON tab that shows you the programs that launch after you click to log into your profile. It could be any on of those programs in the way. You can play with unchecking questionable programs one at a time and see what happens.

8. danielh97

danielh97 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone replaced VAIOs Stock 1333 MHZ Cas Latency 9 RAM?

I use After Effects CS5 alot for 1080p video editing, and the 720QM does extremely well rendering the clips, but the video preview in the editor's frames per second playback and choppiness is directly dependent on the speed/size of your RAM

I was looking at some laptop memory and I found THIS.. WOW
    Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1866 Laptop Memory Model KHX1866C9S3K2/4GX
    1866 MHZ Laptop RAM

I wonder if that would be compatible? (I doubt it :p)

9. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Haha, don't think the motherboard chipset supports ddr3-1866, although that would be nice.

@ cirrusbarbs - have you tried defragmenting your disk and running disk cleaner? That may help with boot times.

10. valsf11

valsf11 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Rubber Palm Rest GlueWhat's wrong with rubber cement? Epoxy is radical in this case & next to impossible to remove besides not being flexible.

I am not sure any more if I can use any type of glue. I think that heat makes the rubber expand so the adhesive doesn't work anymore (in this case a type of tape sony uses). It looks like I would have to cut the rubber around to the correct shape and size in order to fit it back. I will try again to reach the Sony "service".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.