Official Sony VAIO F Series i5/i7 owners thread *part 4*

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony Owners' Lounge Forum' started by Willscary, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monik

monik Newbie

Reputations:
    well the new monster for game playing... is the new ASUS G73Jw

with an NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M, with 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Notebooks - ASUS G73Jw

the only real limitation of my Sony F, is when you have to make complex PDF files (more than 1000 pages , heavy graphics, and a lot of color scan pages) the gt 330m , is not so powerful to do those tasks...or maybe adobe needs to improve their pdf tools and use some CUDA acceleration to handle complex PDF files.

It is wierd that I have not seen any benchmark on these topic.

2. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't think that Adobe codes their pdf viewer to utilize gpu's. IMO Adobe needs to make their code better, or whoever makes the document needs to optimize for performance (low resolution graphics, consolidation of graphics, etc). Using a large background image for each page, for instance, will cause slowdowns.

I don't think that a document viewer such as acrobat reader could be coded to use the parallel processing of gpus actually - or rather if it would benefit that much. gpu computing only really helps out if you can massively thread your applications (i.e. code the program so that it can have something like 216 separate threads). It becomes a read headache, because you need to make sure that all the calculations in each thread are completely independent, or that no thread has to wait for a long time for another thread to finish etc.

IMO having a large amount of ram/an ssd or fast hdd would speed up 1000+ page pdf documents more than anything, as the main issue is probably getting the data from the hard drive and loading it to memory for viewing, rather than the actual rendering process.

3. monik

monik Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks for your reply mangosango...

but I was refering to CREATE a pdf document..not just displaying it.

I create .pdf docs (ready for publishing)...combining sources from Latex, mathematica, Excel, etc... using a lot of 3d images... huge graphics... and a lot of scientific notation.....

My desktop computer (a q6600/4gb )uses an old nvidia quadro gfx card...and it is faster that my vaio F(i7-720/gt330m/momentus XT 500gb hd/8 Gb ddr3 mem) on those tasks...

4. mangosango

mangosango Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    ^ Not sure then, sounds like you know more about this than I do heh. My only guess is that it has something to do with the clock speed on the q6600 being faster than on the i7. Maybe the q6600 has more cpu cache? idk.

5. monik

monik Newbie

Reputations:
    anyway I'm very happy with my VAIO F... but sometimes I guess those gfx performance improvements(due to nvidia driver updates) are limited to games and some apps.

ps: I'm a fan of your games' performance videos, in my case the only 2 games I play are an old copy of Fritz...and Pandora's Box(too bad I have not found anything similar nowadays)

6. GrinningDoom

GrinningDoom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thank you for your prompt response buddy..i look fowrard to hear from you guys in regards of fan issues

PeAce

7. nMIK-3

nMIK-3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Joe thanks for all your comments and solutions you offer to improve the screen quality, very appreciated. With all the respect thought I did try everything possible on sonystyle store to improve the quality, meaning deactivating the sensor and setting the brightness in MAX and still the screen was nothing comparing with other VAIOS or the competition. Second my cousin in the US got the F12 after he saw my other cousins F12 bought from EU. We put both of them side by side and boy the US model screen was, as I said..LAME... I don'e even want to describe...

Of-course when my cousin saw that and experience the comparison with the EU model, he sent his US F12 back for a full refund without any second thought.

I am following VAIO since their first year of introduction, while I owned A-LOT of them all high-end and all of them had pretty amazing screens in every possible way, resolution, viewing angle, brightness etc. I know what is good and what is not acceptable (at least for me) and for me the screen for the F12 in the USA is just NOT acceptable.

The configuration I go is close to $2000 includes 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, i7, 1080p screen, Blu-Ray burner. And for that specs for that money, for a high-end laptop I do expect the screen to be first in line to serve my needs. After all this is what I see most of the hours of my day and I need my eyes to be happy. :)

Question, from the comparison above I noticed the camera on the Asian models are listed for 0.3 Megapixels :confused: :confused:

I am pretty sure I show on the Japanese website that the Motion Eye is 1.3 Megapixels and SonyStyle.com specs use to list it for 1.3 Megapixels as well (now they do not include megapixels at all).

So how many Megapixels is the Motion Eye for the US model?

8. Joe Bleau

Joe Bleau Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Then why not move on to an other brand thread? :confused: The most important tweak that you did not do in the store: install a custom monitor profile. And if you tweaked the settings then who knows what other shoppers did to it before you?

Did your 2 cousins compared also the price they paid?

Maybe some other US F owners could chime in about what they think of the max brightness? From the monitor profile article I linked to: The cd/m2 set to max on mine: 248.4 vs the 265 cd/m2 reported in their review (for the matte premium). That's not night & day & was measured in the center of the display with my X-Rite i1display 2 (same instrument as notebookcheck's) and confirms what my eye balls can see since 7 months. Look at the brightness data for other similar laptops on notebookcheck.net & that's average, not lame.

I'm still waiting for you to name an other brand/model of laptop sold in US with similar specs as the F, similar price but with a matte full Adobe RGB color space coverage LCD like the optional Premium for the F in EU & other markets. :confused:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Is the F 1080p Premium matte superior to the 1080p glossy? Yes. Would I have paid extra to get one if it would be offered in US? Yes. Why Sony_does not offer that option in US? My guess: their marketing studies showed that the majority of US consumers want glossy & inexpensive. There are not enough of us who would pay more for a superior display & anyway as the F owners display poll shows, a majority are satisfied with their display.

9. OoTLink

OoTLink Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not to sound like a broken record but hasn't anyone figured out what model LCD the nice one is yet? >>

10. OrDoS

OrDoS Newbie

Reputations:
    eSATA is most definitely gone, in the Portuguese website, the F13s are now available, you can see here a comparison between the 3 models available in the PT website, and the eSATA as a NO (NÃO in portuguese) on them :( :

Comparação de produtos : VAIO e Informática : Resumo : Sony

I'm thinking on getting the Z, as the M model has only 4GB of RAM, there is no S version, at least here :mad: :mad: :mad: (in the UK it exists), and the Z costs 1699€, it's more than 100-200€ than I was expecting though :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.